Old 05-11-2017, 09:29 AM   #1
LevitatorMusic
Human being with feelings

Default how do i find and delete unused takes

I've searched the internet and this forum but can't find what I'm looking for even though I know it has to be a common question...

do I really have to go through and listen to hundreds of audio clips to figure out which ones are still being used in a project to delete the blown takes?

is there a way to consolidate all takes from each project into its own folder? instead of one big Reaper Media folder with 1,000s of random "guitar L" and "guitar r" and "drums" etc... tracks from every song I've recorded?
LevitatorMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 09:39 AM   #2
serr

Reaper features are geared to approaching it from the other direction.

Do a 'save as' and use the features in the save window to make a new folder and copy or move the source audio. Only the audio you have kept in the arrangement is copied/moved. Then go and delete the original folder.

There are some actions to go the other way and start deleting unused stuff from your source folder. Easier and safer to do it the other way though. Save a new version with only the audio in the arrangement. Verify it. Then delete the old folder.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 01:07 PM   #3
Fistandantilus

Thanks for that info serr. I'm about to start recording and I don't wanna have gigabytes of bad takes in my storage.

Is there a way to instantly and PERMANENTLY delete a bad take right away?
Fistandantilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 04:02 PM   #4
hopi

we gotta be careful about our words here... because what reaper calls a 'take' may or may not be what you are calling a take...

If you have your 'takes' as separate items on separate tracks then yeah, you can delete all the not used

but if you have the reaper take system working, so you have 'takes' on each single track, then you want to first use 'crop to active take'... IF you have selected which of your takes is the active one...

I think Kenny's videos must have something about this and the user guide also
Old 12-05-2017, 04:54 PM   #5
ashcat_lt

Maybe more importantly, stop recording to the Reaper media folder! Save each project to its own folder before recording. Then it should put all the audio for that project in its own audio folder under the project directory. There is an option to prompt you to save or delete very time you stop recording so those "extra" files don't pile up, but when you have each project in its own folder, you can use Reaper's Clean utility to remove unused files without having to worry about deleting things you need for other projects.
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 06:45 PM   #6
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
Maybe more importantly, stop recording to the Reaper media folder! Save each project to its own folder before recording. Then it should put all the audio for that project in its own audio folder under the project directory. There is an option to prompt you to save or delete very time you stop recording so those "extra" files don't pile up, but when you have each project in its own folder, you can use Reaper's Clean utility to remove unused files without having to worry about deleting things you need for other projects.
^Period. In the most friendly but stern voice, if you don't do what he is suggesting here, prepare to lose important tracks and songs.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:35 PM   #7
Fistandantilus

Thanks for that ashcat_lt!

You explained what I needed even though i just realized I worded my original issue wrong. It wasn't the instantly-bad takes which I delete right away that I was worried about piling up. It was the takes you think might be good so you save them initially but you later delete them. Those would all stay in the project subfolder even though they're never needed again. I didn't know about the 'Clean' function, that's awesome.

Related question. I have some Reaper projects where I've used 'Insert Media File' function to insert midi drums. Does that midi track (which is like a 'take') have its own location like talked about above? I checked the specific project subfolders as well as Reaper Media and it's not in either. Where would that inserted media/midi file get stored? Or is it just part of the project file itself?
Fistandantilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 07:34 AM   #8
xpander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fistandantilus View Post
Related question. I have some Reaper projects where I've used 'Insert Media File' function to insert midi drums. Does that midi track (which is like a 'take') have its own location like talked about above?
It depends on your preference settings, Options/Preferences/Media/MIDI. By default newly created as well as imported MIDI files will be handled and saved as in project MIDI items. So there will be no separate .mid files saved, all the data is written inside the project file (.RPP).
xpander is online now   Reply With Quote