Old 05-17-2017, 10:14 AM   #1
robgb
Human being with feelings

Default Faderport Problem?

Love the Faderport XT driver, but is there a way to set the fader to soft takeover? I find that when I go to a new track and touch the hardware, the fader onscreen automatically jumps to where the hardware fader is set, which throws off the mix.

So is there any way to let the software control volume until the hardware fader makes "contact" with the software fader? I looked in the ini file and couldn't find anything.

I tried using Kenny Gioia's method but the software fader jumped all over the place every time I touched the hardware fader. (It also did this when I tried setting it up without the XT driver.)

Last edited by robgb; 05-18-2017 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Included video
robgb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 04:59 AM   #2
somebodyelseuk

All I can say is follow this exactly.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...ight=faderport

I did, I tweeked a couple of settings, unrelated to the fader, but it doesn't do what you describe.

As far as I know, the Faderport behaves like a MIDI controller, but it isn't actually a MIDI controller - I don't think it sends/receives MIDI messages, but I don't know for sure.

Is the FP running the latest firmware version?
Old 05-18-2017, 06:48 AM   #3
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyelseuk View Post

I did, I tweeked a couple of settings, unrelated to the fader, but it doesn't do what you describe.

As far as I know, the Faderport behaves like a MIDI controller, but it isn't actually a MIDI controller - I don't think it sends/receives MIDI messages, but I don't know for sure.

They are midi messages IIRC but through the control surface interface. Just always make sure it is disabled as a MIDI device in MIDI devices and is enabled for MIDI communication (both in and out) in the Control Surface setup dialog.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:51 AM   #4
karbomusic

Quote:
So is there any way to let the software control volume until the hardware fader makes "contact" with the software fader? I looked in the ini file and couldn't find anything.
When you change to a new track in Reaper, the FP should chase that and auto change to match the volume of the newly selected track so there should never be a reason to need soft takeover because the physical and software faders should never be out of sync - I'm not seeing soft take over needed with a motorized fader with two-way communication - assuming I don't need more coffee since I just woke up.

Edit: You are using the AC power adapter for the FP correct? I believe it needs that to move the fader motor.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:55 AM   #5
karbomusic

Quote:
Love the Faderport XT driver, but is there a way to set the fader to soft takeover? I find that when I go to a new track and touch the hardware, the fader onscreen automatically jumps to where the hardware fader is set, which throws off the mix.
There is a tiny switch in the faderport fader. It is actuated by barely touching the fader which in turn sends the midi volume message to Reaper, that is the only thing I can think off of the top of my head that could cause the reaper fader follow the FP fader instead of the other way around.

Which firmware are you on, just make sure it isn't 1.3.5 because it has issues with the motorized fader.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:20 AM   #6
robgb

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
There is a tiny switch in the faderport fader. It is actuated by barely touching the fader which in turn sends the midi volume message to Reaper, that is the only thing I can think off of the top of my head that could cause the reaper fader follow the FP fader instead of the other way around.

Which firmware are you on, just make sure it isn't 1.3.5 because it has issues with the motorized fader.
Unfortunately, plugging in the power supply made no difference. I bought the FaderPort less than a year ago, so it should have the latest firmware, but will check into it. Hopefully that's the problem.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:18 AM   #7
robgb

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyelseuk View Post

Thanks, but I did all this before I posted. When that didn't work, I tried Kenny's tutorial and got the fader jumping all over the place.