Old 05-28-2017, 03:00 PM   #1
Dimaension X
Human being with feelings

Default Dimaension X - Oakwind Hollow

Here's the newest Dimaension X album - "Oakwind Hollow". It's based more on classic prog rock than my more recent electronic stuff. I wanted to make something that sounds a bit more like a live band, a bit more organic with more interplay between instruments.

https://archive.org/details/oakwindhollow/

I'm be getting ready to post all the music for video streaming at YouTube soon.

I'm really beginning to rethink the whole "complete album" philosophy, and perhaps concentrate more on single songs. It seems to be the more realistic trend that is occurring in the online music scene. Perhaps I can put more effort into a single song and really nail down what I want done, rather than try to complete a whole conceptual thing and fill out an hour. Most folks don't seem to have the attention span for "albums" anymore.

I'd love to hear some opinions on the subject of singles versus albums.
Dimaension X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 05:05 PM   #2
Nizhny Tagil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimaension X View Post
I'm really beginning to rethink the whole "complete album" philosophy, and perhaps concentrate more on single songs. It seems to be the more realistic trend that is occurring in the online music scene. Perhaps I can put more effort into a single song and really nail down what I want done, rather than try to complete a whole conceptual thing and fill out an hour. Most folks don't seem to have the attention span for "albums" anymore.

I'd love to hear some opinions on the subject of singles versus albums.
Personally, I've pondered a lot about this and my opinion is that, in most cases, the approach that involves putting out a track whenever you feel like it without a concept, a context, a cohesive quality or simply a proper artwork is detrimental to the quality of the music.
To put it simply, I don't see anybody I respect artistically ever adopting such an approach to release their material.
Maybe I'm too old school about this, but I just can't picture Metallica, say, or Iron Maiden releasing a single track a week on iTunes.

That said, though, I think there are specific cases where, on the contrary, it can even be beneficial.
For some genres of electronic or pop, the single format works. Plenty of pop artists are more renowned for singles than albums (Depeche Mode even released a number of compilations of their singles), plenty of electronic musicians have favored the EP format and plenty of punk bands only released 7 inches. But in all these cases there are historical, artistic and even practical reasons for that approach to be taken, being that their songs were meant to be spinned by Djs at discos, that they were too broke to make a whole record or whatever else.

For my personal experience, I wouldn't really consider releasing my music without a frame, a concept, in other words as a proper release. Even though it was only a digital release, it would seem very disrespectful to its nature of a work of art, however humble and poor in quality, and to the intelligence of any wretched soul who happened to actually be interested in it.
But, to make a pragmatic example, if I knew I had a strong single that could potentially fill the dancefloors, I would go for it. Although, even in this case, I would have choosen the proper format that would happen to be a single so that wouldn't be disrespectful to the art at all.

In the case of Dimaension X, what struck me about the project was the thought put in the process of actually making a meaningful release and creating a concept behind it.
Therefore, I don't think in your case releasing a track every now and then would work.
Unless, of course, we were talking of something like this:

Which I have a feeling you would be very capable of .

If you ask me, this guy is a little scary in delivering his point but I like that he does tutorials on aspects of producing music that aren't strictly technical ones, but more practical and, sometimes, philosophical, for a lack of a better term:

Anyway, this one does seem to require a couple of listens to be properly digested, because the songs feel more like articulate compositions than background music. There are a couple of moments that reminded me of early and most recent Opeth (which, incidentally, had a lot of Porcupine Tree and classic prog worship). I've also noticed that the guitars are still big and strong despite the classic prog influence, which would have suggested a more mellow guitar tone.

Last edited by Nizhny Tagil; 05-28-2017 at 05:24 PM.
Nizhny Tagil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 05:31 AM   #3
Dimaension X

Thanks for the comments, and the link to Make Your Own Damn Music's video. I subscribe to his channel, and like a lot of his tips.

Building a body of work is important, but I think he does agree that releasing a "single" is effective as long as you are creating a "body of work". I think a single song or video can be very effective when it is given enough attention and care.

I am still going to work on songs for albums, but I might focus on shorter, singular statements, rather that trying to "pad out" an hour of material.

I also still find that my final songs seem a little "rough around the edges." My mixing is far from perfect. I guess I still have a lot to work on, but that's all part of the learning process.

BTW - the album is now posted at YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...5xx-KxwjhnEp1a

Last edited by Dimaension X; 05-29-2017 at 06:15 AM.
Dimaension X is offline   Reply With Quote