Old 07-27-2014, 12:45 PM   #1
vicarito
Human being with feelings

Default recording guitar with effects

I would really appreciate if somebody can give me some advice regarding the following : I have a POD (direct box) that has a lot of different amps and effects in it, (I use a focusrite scarlett 2i4) and I want to know if I can record in Reaper a guitar track with these effects using the POD,(or you have to record everything dry and then add effects from Reaper or other plug-ins??)
Thank you very much
vicarito
vicarito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 01:02 PM   #2
hopi

don't have a pod but does it have an audio out that sends out with the FX on the audio? IF so, can't you just plug that into the scarlett input?
Old 07-27-2014, 01:05 PM   #3
Plazma

Hi Vicarito,

Yes, you can record your guitar with the effects of your Pod.
Connect the outputs of your Pod to the inputs of your audio interface.
Select the outputs of your audio interface (Scarlett) as the inputs of your guitar record track.

I do this every day with my Boss guitar effects unit and my Focusrite audio interface, and it works very well.

You CAN also record your guitar dry, and add VST effects to it later. The advantage of this is that you can change the effects as many times as you want, you aren't stuck with the sound you recorded.

Hope this helps you. You should experiment with all the options to learn what works best for you.
Plazma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 01:13 PM   #4
thequietroom

What kind of pod?
thequietroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 06:55 PM   #5
FKAB

Yes which POD?

The PODXT is an interface. You don't need a focusrite or anything else to record into Reaper. Install the necessary Line6 stuff and hook up the USB from the POD to the PC then select the PODXT's Asio from Reaper's Device Preferences.

Then hit record!

Or alternatively, simply connect your POD's output to your focusrite, fx or no fx. Add more FX in Reaper if you want.

Last edited by FKAB; 07-27-2014 at 07:01 PM.
FKAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 03:59 AM   #6
FKAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKAB View Post
Yes which POD?

The PODXT is an interface. You don't need a focusrite or anything else to record into Reaper. Install the necessary Line6 stuff and hook up the USB from the POD to the PC then select the PODXT's Asio from Reaper's Device Preferences.

Then hit record!

Or alternatively, simply connect your POD's output to your focusrite, fx or no fx. Add more FX in Reaper if you want.

Sorry Bad info, it was late. You might be able to record clean, I've never checked properly, there are some routing options in the POD's Asio config. But whatever the case here you will need the POD hooked up to the PC via the USB.

Another thing, your POD is a pre-amp! If you put the POD in front of a Focusrite, you are pre-amping into a pre-amp.
FKAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 12:18 PM   #7
vicarito

Thank you for your prompt replies. I am responding from the office and I do not remember the brand name of the IPOD, its red and has a kidney shape, I have had it for more than 8 years I believe. I really appreciate the recommendations. I am using it right now connecting it into the scarlett 2i4 but I was not sure if the effects would record well in Reaper.
Tank you very much
vicarito
Old 07-28-2014, 01:05 PM   #8
thequietroom

If its a Pod 2.0 then it doesn't have a USB port. You are probably using it correctly by connecting the outputs to the scarlet.

You should be able to arm a Reaper track, set its input as the scarlet interface and record exacly what you hear.. effects and all. The scarlett is getting an analog signal so nothing fancy there.

If its a Pod XT or later (cant remember what year it came out) then it has a USB interface built in. You wouldnt need the scarlet

if this is the case, download line 6 monkey software and follow the manual/screen prompts to get the proper driver installed.

no point in going much further untill you detemine which pod you have
Old 07-28-2014, 02:11 PM   #9
tgraph

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicarito View Post
I am using it right now connecting it into the scarlett 2i4 but I was not sure if the effects would record well in Reaper.
Tank you very much
vicarito
I think the question might be on the choice of recording with effects, or dry and adding effects. On ongoing discussion for sure...

One side says record with the effects and lock them in, the other is record dry to leave options open. I think it depends on your experience level with recording. I have some effects I'm fond of and record with. All a personal choice, if I'm interpreting the question correctly.
tgraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 02:42 PM   #10
thequietroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgraph View Post
I think the question might be on the choice of recording with effects, or dry and adding effects. On ongoing discussion for sure...

One side says record with the effects and lock them in, the other is record dry to leave options open. I think it depends on your experience level with recording. I have some effects I'm fond of and record with. All a personal choice, if I'm interpreting the question correctly.

If this is the case, and you are asking if you "should" record FX from the pod then thats a different story.

I use the new pod HD bean and here is my take on it.

I sometimes record the FX from the pod for creative tones... usually its the clean tones with octo verbs or delays that I am syncing up to with my playing.

Otherwise, I will not record time based effects such as reverb, delay or modulation.

I usually do record the amp/cab/eq's stompbox's then add time based FX in Reaper.

There is no completely "right" way to do it. If you are 100% sold on the Pod tone with FX... go ahead and record it. The only drawback is your commited to it and if you have delays or reverbs.. you proably can't punch-record without artifacts.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:44 PM   #11
thequietroom

had to post again to get my post count past 666

with my avatar it looks pretty evil
Old 09-22-2014, 08:11 AM   #12
vicarito

Thank you very much again for all your replies and suggestions.
I have made a few recordings of accompanying guitar using the pod, sometimes
with an effect, other times dry, but I am not happy with the sound that I am getting, it sounds muddy and not too clear, it improves a little bit with the rea eq but still does not give the sound that I would like to get (clearer and crisper). I will try a small amplifier that I have that has a line out and
see what happens (I can not use a mic with the amp because I live in an apartment). I have a cheap guitar but it sounds O.k. when I have used it in other places with the amp. Maybe I have to try something like amplitube.
I will keep working on it.
vicarito
Old 09-22-2014, 09:05 AM   #13
thequietroom

Which Pod is it..

I think a line out from the amp will probably sound crisp alright.. Usually they sound so crispy your ears may bleed

The pod units should sound pretty good.. you havent mentioned which one you have.

Are you sure you have it setup for direct/studio output? and are you using the USB out?

I'd be glad to try and help you get the most out if it. Or perhaps you are just not happy with it. I suggest you try Sgear (free demo) before commiting to any software amps