Old 08-01-2014, 01:23 AM   #1
Jasipi
Human being with feelings

Default Cleaning unused media.

Is there a way to direct unused media out of the "REAPER Media" folder and into my very own custom "REAPER Media JUNK" folder to prepare for deletion?

I already have the media path set to put used media into the respective projects media folder. Now i just want all the bad takes to go into a folder that is out of the way of my projects so no accidents will happen.
Jasipi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 01:55 AM   #2
planetnine

I put unused wavs in a a separate "unused audio files" subfolder of any project directory I'm working with. I only do this as a safety stage as any project using it will then notify me on loading that it's missing it.

Once I'm happy that it's surplus, it gets deleted.

>
Old 08-01-2014, 02:36 AM   #3
Runaway

You could give this a try
http://www.mediasweeper.com.au/
Old 08-01-2014, 05:30 AM   #4
planetnine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runaway View Post
You could give this a try
http://www.mediasweeper.com.au/

Sorry Michael, I forgot about that...

>
Old 08-01-2014, 07:38 AM   #5
Runaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetnine View Post
Sorry Michael, I forgot about that...
>
Don't apologise I forget about it too - there are many options that's just another
Old 08-01-2014, 01:47 PM   #6
serr

There are some SWS actions for deleting files. But the designers didn't seem to want the workflow to go that way - the non-destructive thing and all.

The quickest "Reaper" method seems to be:

Open the Project/media FX bay.
Click the Actions button and select Remove all items that are not used in project.
Now 'save project as' and check the boxes for 'create subdirectory of project' and 'move all media into project directory'.

There's your new project folder with only currently used files.
Now delete the old project folder.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 03:16 PM   #7
Jasipi

Well as it is now all my used media is saved into subdirectory folders in the project folder. Unused media just goes into "REAPER Media" along with projects folders.

I suppose it's not all that inconvenient, but for OCD reasons it would be super cool if i could show the unused junk where to go.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:53 PM   #8
Runaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
The quickest "Reaper" method seems to be:

Open the Project/media FX bay.
Click the Actions button and select Remove all items that are not used in project.
Now 'save project as' and check the boxes for 'create subdirectory of project' and 'move all media into project directory'.

There's your new project folder with only currently used files.
Now delete the old project folder.
Not such a good idea if some of those files are being used by other Reaper projects

Just a thought...
Old 08-02-2014, 06:26 AM   #9
Jasipi

How about a way to direct Reaper projects and their media files to a certain place away from the junk?

I just want to separate the two in the most convenient way possible. I'm a terrible guitar player so by the time i'm finished a piece of music there is too much junk left over XD
Old 08-02-2014, 09:13 AM   #10
serr

Quote:
Not such a good idea if some of those files are being used by other Reaper projects

Just a thought...
If you use some audio from a different project or sample library, do this step before 'cleaning':

Do a 'Save project as' and check the box for "Copy all media into project directory".

Now you can do the clean up procedure I mentioned above.

I used to use consolidate and delete in Protools too but Reaper's "safer" workflow is hard to argue with and there's just no point fighting this one for me.
Old 08-02-2014, 04:07 PM   #11
planetnine

I think Michael's point is that the above makes that project safe, your method cover those projects you treat like that (and if you do that to all, then you should be covered), but looking at this from the other end, I'd you are trying to process a folder, something else might be pointing at a file in that folder. Without processing all projects in all drives like that, you would not know.

Mediasweeper does just that, scans all found projects for source files so you know where the strays are, and you also know what is surplus and unused.

>
Old 08-03-2014, 10:14 PM   #12
Jeffsounds

Quote:
Mediasweeper does just that, scans all found projects for source files so you know where the strays are, and you also know what is surplus and unused.
Had some fun with MediaSweeper last night. Found TONS of files on my recording drive. Only problem was that every now and then it would hang up and stop responding. Usually when only 1 file needed to be moved. Also, I got a BSOD once and a few times I got a run-time error that closed. Took me about 2 hours to go through my entire drive but I got it done and freed up a boatload of space!
Old 08-04-2014, 11:23 AM   #13
serr

Quote:
I think Michael's point is that the above makes that project safe, your method cover those projects you treat like that (and if you do that to all, then you should be covered), but looking at this from the other end, I'd you are trying to process a folder, something else might be pointing at a file in that folder. Without processing all projects in all drives like that, you would not know.

>
Sure. And I don't mean to be an ass and rain on anyone's parade when they make useful tools! Just that the thought that you could not be aware of where you put files on your hard drive boggles my mind. Someone dumbed down computer 101 too far one day to where the file system is a mystery to people. Makes me reflexively say "Whoa! Spend a minute to learn this before you accidentally throw away all your stuff!"

The visual analogy is of someone pulling out the bottom drawer of a file cabinet and just piling into and on top of it. Then hiring someone to retrieve files for them because it takes too long to manually dig through them.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:52 PM   #14
Runaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffsounds View Post
Had some fun with MediaSweeper last night. Found TONS of files on my recording drive. Only problem was that every now and then it would hang up and stop responding. Usually when only 1 file needed to be moved. Also, I got a BSOD once and a few times I got a run-time error that closed. Took me about 2 hours to go through my entire drive but I got it done and freed up a boatload of space!
Any info you can provide which may help me track that down would be appreciated
Old 08-04-2014, 02:58 PM   #15
planetnine

Quote:
Sure. And I don't mean to be an ass and rain on anyone's parade when they make useful tools! Just that the thought that you could not be aware of where you put files on your hard drive boggles my mind. Someone dumbed down computer 101 too far one day to where the file system is a mystery to people. Makes me reflexively say "Whoa! Spend a minute to learn this before you accidentally throw away all your stuff!"

The visual analogy is of someone pulling out the bottom drawer of a file cabinet and just piling into and on top of it. Then hiring someone to retrieve files for them because it takes too long to manually dig through them.

I occasionally do tutorial, workshop and consultation/rescue jobs for REAPER and audio recordings in general, and you will not believe what some people do with their setups. Boggling of cerebral matter doesn't start to describe it

I think this is why I'm the boring geek who always stresses to people the importance of doing your drive housekeeping and having a system and then consistently sticking to it...

Ask any accountant about ordinary people and their filing systems That fits in well with your analogy of hiring someone to sort it out for you. Shoe boxes, carrier bags or sweet tins anyone..?

>
Old 08-04-2014, 02:59 PM   #16
Jeffsounds

Quote:
Any info you can provide which may help me track that down would be appreciated
Sure! Ummmm... what kind of info?
Old 08-04-2014, 02:59 PM   #17
Runaway

Quote:
Sure. And I don't mean to be an ass and rain on anyone's parade when they make useful tools!
I don't think anyone thinks that besides I have no dog in this race the tool like all tools is there to be used if needed

Quote:

What amazes me is that you are amazed that this happens
Sure good file management is highly recommended and does alleviate this situation somewhat

However, don't for one moment think that 'common sense' was named that because it was 'common'
Old 08-14-2014, 07:19 AM   #18
Jasipi

I don't know what we're talking about here XD

I don't ever have any 'stray media' nor do i ever reload deleted media into a project, it was deleted because it was a bad take. My used media is always tucked neatly away in the media subfolder inside the project folder along with the project file which is all in 'REAPER Media' along with all the junk.

I just wish there was a way to move the bad takes into a 'trash' folder instead of leaving it in 'REAPER Media'.

I'd just put this down to OCD, it's not that big of a deal really XD
Old 08-14-2014, 10:04 AM   #19
Runaway

Quote:
Sure! Ummmm... what kind of info?
Hard to say - maybe some screen shots?
Were you processing a single folder or the whole drive, were there network drives or usb drives involved - that sort of info

Probably doesn't matter now I guess
Old 08-14-2014, 12:03 PM   #20
zoso2

reaper always prompts me to save/delete/rename any new files recorded when I stop a recording. If the take was crap it is immediately deleted. This keeps things very clean.
zoso2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 04:58 PM   #21
Jeffsounds

Quote:
Hard to say - maybe some screen shots?
Were you processing a single folder or the whole drive, were there network drives or usb drives involved - that sort of info

Probably doesn't matter now I guess
A single folder on my D drive. I went through them one by one and every now and then it wouldn't work. Some were single files, some were multiple files. The ones that gave me trouble were just left alone and I haven't tried since then to get rid of them.
Old 08-15-2014, 12:50 AM   #22
Runaway

Quote:
A single folder on my D drive. I went through them one by one and every now and then it wouldn't work. Some were single files, some were multiple files. The ones that gave me trouble were just left alone and I haven't tried since then to get rid of them.
So much for that idea then

If you end up trying again and you feel so inclined I wouldn't mind checking out the RPP file(s) in any folder that gives you some stick - thanks
Old 12-03-2014, 11:41 AM   #23
G6millars

Sorry but i haven't any knowledge about this
G6millars is offline   Reply With Quote