Old 09-28-2013, 04:36 AM   #41
martifingers
Human being with feelings

Lovely vibe, great playing and vocal harmonies, arrangement etc. Put me in mind of The Honeydogs (but most good music does these days...)

A small caveat? Well I must be in minority of one when I suggest that the guitar voicing is just a tad too distorted. More a personal preference I guess but the tone seemed a little too harsh for the song although I can see the value of a little salt in the egg (????).

Great work though.
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 03:40 PM   #42
sammydix

i checked The Honey dogs out, and they are good. i mean like real music. so that's a welcome compliment.

"salt on the egg" hah!

thanks man.
sammydix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 04:04 PM   #43
kindafishy

martifingers, wow, I wasn't aware of the Honeydogs. They're excellent. This is an awesome song -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bU1e6aoATb8 - going to explore and find more!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the song. The guitar tone is surely subjective and I appreciate your ideas on it. From my perspective, it turned out exactly how I intended/envisioned it to sound, for better or worse. Sammy may have had something else in mind, but he is a fantastic collaborator and always encourages others to 'do their thing' and bring whatever they naturally bring into a production. This is something I really appreciate, artist to artist. Sammy likes me for who I am. LOL, I'm a loser. Any number of approaches would have worked really nicely with this song I would think.

Back to the Honeydogs, this is a cool track as well -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVGP77C9qZg - they remind me a bit of a band called Sloan (although from what I've heard from the Honeydogs so far, Sloan is far more rock n' roll, but their sensibilities seem kind of aligned).
kindafishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:59 PM   #44
plgrmsprgrs

Great stuff guys! Samoooooth! Really nice mixing Sammy. The song itself is a fun listen and the harmonies are well done. Everything sounds very cool. My favorite part though is the lead guitar. Kevin, I thought for sure you'd miked an amp until I got to your technical post. I'm downloading Mercurial as I type. As Ted observed, there's a definite Walter Becker feel to your track.

Kyle
Old 09-30-2013, 09:55 AM   #45
Timothy Lawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammydix View Post
did you mean my (rhythm) guitar or Kevin's lead? because i did have a bit of spring on my guitar and maybe that could have caused the 'mismatch'.
...the guitar at the very start. It's a room tone thing. When the drumset first comes in there's a bright ambient room tone that I didn't hear in the guitar's room ambience. Good stuff either way.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:15 PM   #46
sammydix

@plgrmsprgrs
thanks Kyle. it took a while to get everyone aligned, but we got through it.

@timothy lawler
got it. appreciate you answering. i did give them two different ambiances that i see didn't really connect. thx.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:11 AM   #47
kindafishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by plgrmsprgrs View Post
Great stuff guys! Samoooooth! Really nice mixing Sammy. The song itself is a fun listen and the harmonies are well done. Everything sounds very cool. My favorite part though is the lead guitar. Kevin, I thought for sure you'd miked an amp until I got to your technical post. I'm downloading Mercurial as I type. As Ted observed, there's a definite Walter Becker feel to your track.

Kyle
Thanks Kyle. My favourite part is the vocals (predictably ).

I can't really state enough how nicely this combination of S-Gear and Mercuriall works for me, especially for clean and breaking up tones (just because I still haven't spent much time with the S-Gear lead channels). I feel that S-Gear has really taken a step beyond everyone else with the latest head. The next piece in the guitar software puzzle seems to be improvements in cabinet modelling. Right now, Mercuriall is my favourite but I've yet to experiment with it enough to know if it is good in all situations. It worked well here.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:35 AM   #48
camerondye

Sounds great, most of my suggestions I would make have already been said honestly. Great job on the guitar kindafishy. Great job on the mood sammydix, the play off between your vocals and the female vocals are really cool. Nice job...
camerondye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:22 AM   #49
sammydix

Quote:
Originally Posted by camerondye View Post
Sounds great, most of my suggestions I would make have already been said honestly. Great job on the guitar kindafishy. Great job on the mood sammydix, the play off between your vocals and the female vocals are really cool. Nice job...
appreciate that guy.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:30 AM   #50
megalodon

Quote:
Originally Posted by martifingers View Post
Lovely vibe, great playing and vocal harmonies, arrangement etc. Put me in mind of The Honeydogs (but most good music does these days...)

A small caveat? Well I must be in minority of one when I suggest that the guitar voicing is just a tad too distorted. More a personal preference I guess but the tone seemed a little too harsh for the song although I can see the value of a little salt in the egg (????).

Great work though.
Agreed. Great stuff, but indeed, I'd prefer less distortion. Personally I'd even play 100% clean, but that's no surprise
megalodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:43 AM   #51
kindafishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by megalodon View Post
Agreed. Great stuff, but indeed, I'd prefer less distortion. Personally I'd even play 100% clean, but that's no surprise
Overruled!

Maybe on a future remix... we'll see...