Old 05-14-2012, 11:29 AM   #1
andysarchus
Human being with feelings

Default Building a new DAW - Z77?

Hi all.

I've finally had it with my ancient DELL (though it has given me nearly 10 years of trouble-free use ) and have decided to build myself a shiny new DAW.

This is my first time building a PC and, although I've had advice from a couple of suitably nerdy mates, I'd quite like to know what you fantastically knowledgeable Reaper-ites think of the components I've chosen.

Would specifically like to hear any thoughts on the new intel Z77 chipset and my choice of processor and mobo. I realise they're brand spanking new - would I be better off getting the the old Sandy Bridge processor with a Z68 mobo as they've been around a little while and are 'proven'?

Will mostly be using synths and samplers - very little actual recording.

List of bits...(I've already bought the first lot, so you're not allowed to tell me its a load of crap )

..and the stuff I'm pondering.....

SSD will be the system drive, with 1 mechanical hard drive for samples and another for recording. Most of the components are copied from SCAN's 3XS PowerDAW systems - thought that would be a good place to start.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Andy
Old 05-14-2012, 12:26 PM   #2
EvilDragon

Please choose a better PSU with more wattage (OCZ, CoolerMaster, Corsair, Seasonic, at least 650W). Your DAW will be grateful to you, and if you intend to expand later with more components (hard drives, better graphics card, overclocking the CPU even), it will result in a more stable system overall.

EDIT: Drat, I just saw that you've already purchased the PSU... Oh well. If you can return and ask for a swap, do so.
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:37 PM   #3
andysarchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
EDIT: Drat, I just saw that you've already purchased the PSU... Oh well. If you can return and ask for a swap, do so.
Hehe. Yeah, I was worried someone might tell me I'd already bought the wrong stuff

Decided on the Enermax due to a couple of positive reviews and the fact that SCAN use the 525W models in their DAW's. I'd initially thought about getting a 600W+ PSU but was advised that that much power wasn't necessary.

However, just used an on-line 'PSU calculator' cos you've got me worried - told me I needed a 407W PSU. Maybe I'll just see if I can change it, shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for the heads up ED.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:05 PM   #4
Cresta

you should avoid SandForce based SSD, although you can be lucky and live happily with it, a LOT of people had troubles with it (just google "sandforce problems" and you will have plenty of stuff to read).
Personally, I suggest Crucial M4 as it has been reported to be the most reliable one amongst the "big names".
Cresta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:32 AM   #5
Digideus

You didnt list a sound card in that spec. what are you running on it?
Digideus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:27 AM   #6
zeekat

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysarchus View Post
However, just used an on-line 'PSU calculator' cos you've got me worried - told me I needed a 407W PSU. Maybe I'll just see if I can change it, shouldn't be a problem.
That's weird. I measured my ol' q9550 (less power efficient than i7) with 4 gigs of RAM and 1TB disk during reapery operations and it was taking mere 140W or so. 280W was when playing heavy game on my GTX470. Your computer should do just fine on this PSU I think.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:32 AM   #7
andysarchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digideus View Post
You didnt list a sound card in that spec. what are you running on it?
Don't need a sound card - will just be using a USB interface.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekat View Post
That's weird. I measured my ol' q9550 (less power efficient than i7) with 4 gigs of RAM and 1TB disk during reapery operations and it was taking mere 140W or so. 280W was when playing heavy game on my GTX470. Your computer should do just fine on this PSU I think.
Mmmmmm. Before I did the on-line calculator thingy, I'd manually calculated that my new DAW would need about 150W. Thought this figure sounded way too low and that I was somehow missing some load somewhere, hence using the online calculator.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:34 AM   #8
andysarchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresta View Post
you should avoid SandForce based SSD, although you can be lucky and live happily with it, a LOT of people had troubles with it (just google "sandforce problems" and you will have plenty of stuff to read).
Personally, I suggest Crucial M4 as it has been reported to be the most reliable one amongst the "big names".
Thanks for the advice Cresta. Will look into it.

Keep it coming!
Old 05-15-2012, 01:25 PM   #9
zeekat

Quote:
Don't need a sound card - will just be using a USB interface.

Mmmmmm. Before I did the on-line calculator thingy, I'd manually calculated that my new DAW would need about 150W. Thought this figure sounded way too low and that I was somehow missing some load somewhere, hence using the online calculator.
I checked mine with SCIENCE! Which means I borrowed that power-measuring gizmo you put between a power outlet and a computer. Isn't super accurate probably, but accurate enough.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:50 PM   #10
l0calh05t

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Please choose a better PSU with more wattage (OCZ, CoolerMaster, Corsair, Seasonic, at least 650W). Your DAW will be grateful to you, and if you intend to expand later with more components (hard drives, better graphics card, overclocking the CPU even), it will result in a more stable system overall.

That Enermax PSU is a very good one, and should be plenty for that configuration.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:11 AM   #11
oerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by l0calh05t View Post
That Enermax PSU is a very good one, and should be plenty for that configuration.
I agree, I run a comparable system on a 430W Seasonic PSU which doesn't break a sweat.

As long as you don't run power hungry video cards, you don't have too worry too much about the PSU (provided it's a decent brand).

Decent SSDs right now:
- Crucial m4
- Samsung 830
- Intel 520 series (Sandforce controller, but based on the reviews I've seen, with Intel reliability)
oerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:36 AM   #12
andysarchus

Thanks for all the advice, guys.

After doing some more research on SSD's, I've decided to go for the 128GB Crucial M4 - seems like a safer bet than the Corsair Sandforce units. Thanks for bringing that to my attention, Cresta and oerk.

As far as the PSU goes, and as much as I trust your advice ED, I think the Enermax should be fine. Everything I've heard about it is very positive. I can't see myself ever needing a power-hungry GPU (I am most definitely not a gamer), all of my outboard stuff has its own psu, and I can always upgrade at a later date if I really need to.

No criticism for the CPU or mobo?
Old 05-16-2012, 01:32 PM   #13
ivansc

What USB interface are you going for? RME, I hope....
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:50 PM   #14
andysarchus

Old 05-17-2012, 02:23 PM   #15
kindafishy

Quote:
Thanks for all the advice, guys.

After doing some more research on SSD's, I've decided to go for the 128GB Crucial M4 - seems like a safer bet than the Corsair Sandforce units. Thanks for bringing that to my attention, Cresta and oerk.

As far as the PSU goes, and as much as I trust your advice ED, I think the Enermax should be fine. Everything I've heard about it is very positive. I can't see myself ever needing a power-hungry GPU (I am most definitely not a gamer), all of my outboard stuff has its own psu, and I can always upgrade at a later date if I really need to.

No criticism for the CPU or mobo?
I just did a bunch of research on SSD's and came to the conclusion that the Intel 320's are the best bet in terms of reliability. I suppose that different sources will tell you that different drives are the most reliable, but that's where my research led me. I got an 80GB for my OS drive. I also just ordered an i7 2600K CPU with an ASUS Z68 mobo. Planning on OC'ing to 4.5. Great bang for the buck. An i5 2500K is an even better value, really. Lots to consider right now.
kindafishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:34 PM   #16
JHughes
Banned

Enermax makes excellent, top of the line PSU's. Maybe ED has that brand confused with another one?
JHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 02:12 AM   #17
oerk

CPU and Mobo are fine, though you probably don't need one with the Z77 chipset - one of the cheaper ones should do.

The RAM you've chosen looks like an overclocker kit. These are more expensive, and the heatsinks aren't needed and can collide with the CPU cooler. Get a regular 2x8 GB kit from a decent brand instead (Kingston ValueRAM, for example).
oerk is offline   Reply With Quote