Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 06-18-2017, 01:30 PM   #1
Ice
Human being with feelings

Default New Track Automation Mode - OFF/DISABLED

Please add an automation mode that is selectable per track that is simply OFF.

I've been searching for a way to mimic the Pro Tools automation mode of "OFF", and none of my workarounds really hold up.

I use this all the time in Pro Tools on individual tracks and its incredibly helpful.

I can leave all my automation on a track intact, and leave plugins online. Everything just plays back in its current position and there is no automation playback or risk of overwriting existing automation.

The closest workaround I've tried is Global Bypass, but then I lose playback of everything including clip automation.

Toggling lanes on and off individually is tedious at best, and with even a few parameters, time prohibitive.

In some cases I can disable the FX Rack on a track, but most of the time I want to still monitor through those plugins so thats not a good alternative either.

I thought that hiding the envelopes used to work, but at least here, on the Master Track which is the place I'll want to use it the most, automation plays back even with the lanes hidden.

Accompanying actions to toggle this on selected tracks, etc., would also be very helpful.

---- The best alternative I've found so far is to put the track in latch preview, and make sure the envelopes are all armed. If they're not armed, they act as if they're in read. ----

Last edited by Ice; 06-18-2017 at 03:56 PM.
Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 03:27 AM   #2
IXix

I second that motion.
IXix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 04:36 AM   #3
airon

Would disrupt nothing.

There's already the global bypass, and individual parameter bypass on the envelope lanes.

Per-track automation bypass sounds reasonable to add. Logical step in fact.

+1
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 04:37 AM   #4
vanhaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice View Post
Please add an automation mode that is selectable per track that is simply OFF.

I've been searching for a way to mimic the Pro Tools automation mode of "OFF", and none of my workarounds really hold up.

I use this all the time in Pro Tools on individual tracks and its incredibly helpful.

I can leave all my automation on a track intact, and leave plugins online. Everything just plays back in its current position and there is no automation playback or risk of overwriting existing automation.

The closest workaround I've tried is Global Bypass, but then I lose playback of everything including clip automation.

Toggling lanes on and off individually is tedious at best, and with even a few parameters, time prohibitive.

In some cases I can disable the FX Rack on a track, but most of the time I want to still monitor through those plugins so thats not a good alternative either.

I thought that hiding the envelopes used to work, but at least here, on the Master Track which is the place I'll want to use it the most, automation plays back even with the lanes hidden.

Accompanying actions to toggle this on selected tracks, etc., would also be very helpful.

---- The best alternative I've found so far is to put the track in latch preview, and make sure the envelopes are all armed. If they're not armed, they act as if they're in read. ----
Good one !
If only there was an action to select all active envelopes of a selected track, then that action could be followed by this action (together in a custom script):
Script: X-Raym_Toggle envelopes active state property.lua

But, afaik and have looked, there is no such action for selecting all active envelopes on a selected track (big pity).

However, maybe your request is scriptable ..
You could post your request in the VIP action request section of the reaper scripts section in this forum.
Old 06-19-2017, 04:55 AM   #5
EvilDragon

Script already created.

http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...7&postcount=13
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 06:57 AM   #6
Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
And it works well, and is the best option I've found so far.

My other workaround of "Latch Preview" means we have to turn off the pref:

Automation > Automatically add envelopes when tweaking parameters in automation write mode.

Or else I wind up creating a ton of lanes I don't want when tweaking.

Does the introduction of a working script mean we shouldn't still ask for the feature to be built in? For me it still seems like a mode we should have. I figured OFF was a standard mode but I don't know any other DAWs than PT and Reaper. Perhaps I'm making presumptions that its a standard mode.

Huge thanks to MPL for such a quick response and such a handy script!
Old 06-20-2017, 05:09 AM   #7
DarkStar

[related rant]
When, oh when, will be be able to show user-defined buttons on the TCP and MCP? So that we can run scripts like this one by clicking a button rather than diving into a menu or onto a separate toolbar or, heaven forfend, into the Action list
Old 06-20-2017, 09:13 AM   #8
Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
[related rant]
When, oh when, will be be able to show user-defined buttons on the TCP and MCP? So that we can run scripts like this one by clicking a button rather than diving into a menu or onto a separate toolbar or, heaven forfend, into the Action list
I haven't gotten that far into customizing toolbars, but I did assign this one to the main toolbar as a button in the TCP. Is this something that hasn't been an option in the past? The button is even smart enough to display a gray status when toggled ON.

Maybe I misunderstand what you mean.

Reaper 5.40
Mac 10.10.5
Old 06-20-2017, 09:29 AM   #9
EvilDragon

DS means "custom buttons on tracks themselves". That is not yet possible in Reaper.
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 01:01 PM   #10
IXix

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
[related rant]
When, oh when, will be be able to show user-defined buttons on the TCP and MCP?
<OT_whoop>Hell yeah! You said it! Amen!</OT_whoop>
IXix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 01:25 PM   #11
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
DS means "custom buttons on tracks themselves". That is not yet possible in Reaper.
Quote:
I haven't gotten that far into customizing toolbars, but I did assign this one to the main toolbar as a button in the TCP. Is this something that hasn't been an option in the past? The button is even smart enough to display a gray status when toggled ON.
Conflict here?<> 1 thinks yes,1 thinks no.. :/
Are not all buttons and faders on tcp/mcp just actions\api in disguise anyways?
Seeming as vst + fx can have their own controls dials-surely this is not rocket science?..perhaps anti-matter is the key to unleashing reaper's potentials.>Funnily enough_ guy invented the santilly telescope for such occasions.
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote