Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 09-14-2017, 12:54 PM   #1
Arnauds1979
Human being with feelings

Default headphone amp directly into reaper???

Hey Guys,

I used to use a M-audio box to plug into my laptop and record my music with Reaper, but the box died. I was wondering if it was possible to plug either the guitar directly in the laptop and record with Reaper or plug my Vox Amplug in the microphone jack of the laptop and record with Reaper?

Anyone has any experience with these setup?

Cheers.
Arnauds1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 07:54 PM   #2
Fergler

Yes it will technically work, however the impedence will not be correct. You are putting line level into a mic input. You can fry the input.

I actually did this to my first laptop...

I attempted to plug my tube amp directly into a laptop mic input instead of into it's built in speaker. Fried within an hour.
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 02:42 AM   #3
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergler View Post
I attempted to plug my tube amp directly into a laptop mic input instead of into it's built in speaker. Fried within an hour.
Hang on, you connected the speaker out to the 1/8" inch in? Speaker level is way hotter than line level isn't it? And you'd be lucky to not have fried the amp as well in that scenario. I've never heard of line level being strong enough to fry an input (I could easily be wrong about that) but in any case, nothing the OP is talking about has line level coming out. Amplugs are just little battery powered pocket amps.

@OP headphone out of the amplug should match fine with the mic in on your lappy, but the guitar straight in will probably not sound great. It's not gonna hurt anything though.
Old 09-15-2017, 05:50 AM   #4
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Hang on, you connected the speaker out to the 1/8" inch in? Speaker level is way hotter than line level isn't it?
Yes but we have to take impedance into account aka a speaker may only be 8 ohms and the laptop input possibly thousands of ohms (that's probably why it lasted an hour instead of a second). As far as a headphone out into a mic input, technically it should be OK assuming the gain can be reduced low enough to not clip and/or if there is a pad switch. But it is a laptop mic in, so not sure about the ability to change actual gain.

So, start with the output of the VOX at a very low volume and adjust accordingly - @OP: I'm assuming the VOX one of the versions of this correct?

Also as far as impedance matching and sound/tone, the input only really needs to be about 10 times larger than what is feeding it. Being what it is, the VOX output should be a fairly low impedance already less likely an issue.

Last edited by karbomusic; 09-15-2017 at 05:59 AM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 12:10 PM   #5
Arnauds1979

Thanks guys.

karbomusic, yes it is one of those I have, from the first generation.

It is meant to output directly into a headphone so I thought the laptop should be able to handle it, but then I am no expert in the matter hence my question on the forum.
Arnauds1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 08:52 PM   #6
vdubreeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergler View Post

I actually did this to my first laptop...

I plugged the speaker out of my Ampeg Gemini XII into the input of a Lafayette stereo, because I had seen a guitarist at a club get a great sound doing that. It fried it in 5 seconds but it was 5 absolutely amazing seconds.