Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 04-09-2014, 08:09 PM   #1
DaveStuff
Human being with feelings

Default iTunes, Mixdowns, Rendered Files

Hello Reaper community

I made the switch to mac because my future wife is a apple person... I did music awhile on a PC but had many problems... This macbook pro (2010 still works great) has been much less hassle that's for sure. - I think... Apple is the way to go...

Anyway...

I'm finishing on a couple of songs here... Trying to get them ready for saturday...

So I mix down one mix.... Played it on a few things. - Didn't like it... Needed tweaks

(repeat)

(repeat)

My issue I suppose is iTunes wanted to play files I rendered before...Then the iMatch see's them and uses them etc... I'd overwrite the original but iTunes was having difficulty understanding this So I stared naming the files different names...

.. I suppose the problem then would be having so many mixes etc laying around in the cloud and on my computer... You know...Then moving them to my iPhone...Then burning the right files to disk to play on a stereo ... Giving it to friends etc...

I was curious how you guys keep your stuff straight? Any suggestions?

Thank you!
DaveStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 07:02 AM   #2
rossta1

Dear God could I use help in this exact same department!
rossta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 07:33 AM   #3
serr

I 'save as' my mix sessions (projects) with version numbers that I update myself and include these labels in the song name. This extends to the mastering session (when it gets to that point and if I'm doing the mastering).

For example:

Great_Song m27 M2.flac

comes from:

Great_Song 27.rpp

Great_Album master 2.rpp

see that?

Then once the 24 bit 96k master is finished, I'll make the additional reduced version for portable media players. Final masters will be:
Great_Song M.flac (24 bit 96k resolution)
Great_Song M5.1.flac (the 5.1 surround mix at 24 bit 96k resolution)
Great_Song CD.flac (the reduced 16 bit 44.1k version)

FYI iTunes has been obsolete for a long time for me as they do not natively support flac or surround sound. I've been using Songbird for an audio only media player. Plays flac directly, all high res formats, and all surround formats.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 09:44 PM   #4
Repetition Compulsion

I just ALWAYS use the 'increment file name' option when I'm rendering. I render straight to "Music" in my Home folder--however, comma, my actual music libraries are stored on a separate hard drive, so this folder is otherwise empty. It only contains renders from Reaper, otherwise I would probably select a different location.

So, in my music folder I just have a whole slew of .mp3's 'new song 1, new song 2, so on, so forth.' I open these with iTunes which imports it to the libary (on a separate drive) and in there I edit the tags with our artist name, an album, and I'm now starting to use comments to help keep track of them. If the version I just rendered is worse than the last, then I delete it, otherwise I just leave it in there. The 'current' version is always the highest number. When I'm done (or at least taking a long hiatus) from working on a particular song, I'll generally either delete the old version out of the libary, or at least separate them into their own album. Every once in a while I go through and clear out the Music folder as well to get rid of old renders.

I don't use a cloud service for my music (dropbox/soundcloud only) so that part doesn't really apply to me. But is there a way to tell it not to sync a particular artist or album? If you can do that, then just put your temporary versions in there and no more hassle.

Eventually I'll work out some better organization from the ground up, but for now this isn't too hard for me to keep track of.
Repetition Compulsion is offline   Reply With Quote