Old 04-16-2014, 04:15 AM   #1
mainframe
Human being with feelings

Default Reastream format for extention

Hello,

I'm trying to develop a system to listen to reaper tracks over the internet at a very low bitrate. I'm trying to do it with a combination of reastream and ffmpeg but I'm stuck at the very beginning, the format of the reastream. I've looked at almost all of the posts related to reastream and it's format but haven't found a way to get it to work, hence the new post.

My main idea maps out as follows:
- take a reastream and send it to localhost
- get ffmpeg to connect to this local stream and convert it to a very compressed format like a G711 or even lower
- send this stream back out with ffmpeg to a remote location in a udp stream (maybe tcp to prevent package loss)

Why? Well, I would like to have a low bandwidth talkback feature in reaper to do remote tracking of voices. The actual high quality files (or full reaper session) would be transfered via sftp once everything is recorded.

Where I'm at:
My knowledge of scripting and streams is basic but I'm managed to connect with ffmpeg to the incoming stream and pipe it back out. Ffmpeg does not recognize the format of the stream, quite logic since it's not a standard protocol, and when I force formats like 64bit floating point (what I think reastream outputs), I get a very loud noise signal with some very faint source sound in the back. I've also tried to pipe the stream from netcat into sox but that gives the same results.
I'm currently trying with one mono output stream because it sounds the easiest in my opinion but would maybe like to include two or three streams. There is a some good information in a thread (linked below) but I don't understand all of it. Any help is welcome on anything related.
I'm an intermediate linux hobby user with a good basic understanding of networks and audio and a little bit of bash and python scripting under my belt but it is possible that what I'm trying to to is completely impossible. Again, all input is welcome!

Thanks in advance

the thread: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=98393
mainframe is offline   Reply With Quote