Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 04-23-2017, 06:24 AM   #1
brynolf
Human being with feelings

Default Creating right-clickable toolbar buttons?

Hi,
I'm making some custom toolbar buttons for this and that, by editing existing ones. Some of the buttons turn yellow ("armed"?) when I right click them, others don't. Two questions regarding this:

1. Why do the buttons behave differently when right clicked? Is it dependent on the action they are assigned to, or is it an inherent attribute with the actual button image files?

2. How can I assign different actions for left-clicking and right-clicking a button? Some of the "original" buttons (like snap and metronome) open a settings window when right clicked, for example.
brynolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 06:33 AM   #2
brynolf

Oh, and another thing... I just made two buttons; "show master track" and "show reference tracks" (that last one is a custom action). When I click "show master track", the button stays in it's "pressed" status (that is, the third icon in the image file) until I press it again to hide the master track, while the "show reference tracks" doesn't. It turns back to it's standard (leftmost) appearance.

Is this because "show master track" is a "toggle" action? If so, is it possible to fool Reaper into treating my custom "show reference tracks" action as a toggle too?

I should mention that the custom action does contain toggle actions, so maybe it's not the "toggle" that is the problem.
brynolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 07:24 AM   #3
Fergler

Right clicking turns a toolbar button into a click tool, for example if you have a toolbar button for 'increase pitch by one semitone' and right click it, you can keep left-clicking away on items to act upon them.

This little-known feature bridges the gap between Reaper and toolbased software like Logic and Pro Tools.

I don't know anything about your second question.
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 08:45 AM   #4
hopi

rt clk on the icon sets it into 'armed' mode... so it behaves as Fergler has explained...

The other thing you mention is because it is a toggle...[most of the time... but there some actions that will stay in the third icon state untill you clk on some other icon or other part of the screen... don't know why]

the 'armed' color is not part of the icon but should be changeable ...maybe in the theme tweaker? My armed color is not yellow but instead a deep red.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:52 AM   #5
xpander

Quote:
Originally Posted by brynolf View Post
When I click "show master track", the button stays in it's "pressed" status (that is, the third icon in the image file) until I press it again to hide the master track, while the "show reference tracks" doesn't. It turns back to it's standard (leftmost) appearance.
The toolbar buttons won't update their visible state according to selections made in, say, Arrange. The toggle states are shown in buttons only for those actions where that state is true regardless of eg. item or track selection.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote