Old 04-05-2017, 08:33 AM   #1
Coachz
Human being with feelings

Default Pre-Release Bug threads

When pre release bugs are reported, they are posted into the specific thread for a pre release version.

If the bug is not fixed in the next version, is it up to the user to keep complaining or it seems to me that the bug just gets lost in the next pre since it's on a previous thread. So how to prevent orphaned pre release bug reports ?

Would it be better to have a Bug forum for Pre-Release too ?
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 10:24 AM   #2
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
When pre release bugs are reported, they are posted into the specific thread for a pre release version.

If the bug is not fixed in the next version, is it up to the user to keep complaining or it seems to me that the bug just gets lost in the next pre since it's on a previous thread. So how to prevent orphaned pre release bug reports ?

Would it be better to have a Bug forum for Pre-Release too ?

This is an issue, but I don't think a prerelease bug forum would address it particularly. If you have a prerelease bug that you think has been overlooked, it's OK to repeat the bug report in the current prerelease thread, or start a dedicated thread for it if it is a sort of category bug (like "spectral editing bugs").
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 10:27 AM   #3
Robert Randolph

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
This is an issue, but I don't think a prerelease bug forum would address it particularly. If you have a prerelease bug that you think has been overlooked, it's OK to repeat the bug report in the current prerelease thread, or start a dedicated thread for it if it is a sort of category bug (like "spectral editing bugs").
Could you alleviate this issue a bit by having some sort of stated milestones for a pre-/release?

Then users could have somewhat of an idea of what would be topical for a pre-release report, compared to a general bug report.

Such milestones are pretty clear if you are following development, but there clearly seems to be people that pop in for one pre-release then report some non-topical bug, which I'm sure is very annoying.
Robert Randolph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 10:33 AM   #4
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Randolph View Post
Could you alleviate this issue a bit by having some sort of stated milestones for a pre-/release?

Then users could have somewhat of an idea of what would be topical for a pre-release report, compared to a general bug report.

Such milestones are pretty clear if you are following development, but there clearly seems to be people that pop in for one pre-release then report some non-topical bug, which I'm sure is very annoying.

The changelog always lists the changes and updates, including describing small changes that won't make it into the final release notes. The complete changelog is always here: http://landoleet.org/whatsnew5.txt
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 10:36 AM   #5
Robert Randolph

Quote:
The changelog always lists the changes and updates, including describing small changes that won't make it into the final release notes. The complete changelog is always here: http://landoleet.org/whatsnew5.txt
I understand that, I was just suggesting making that more visible in some manner.

edit: When I said "Users" in my original post, I was implying "people posting stuff will-nilly in pre-release threads"... I was not very clear. My apologies.
Robert Randolph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 12:05 PM   #6
Coachz

Quote:
ok, i wish there was a better way. This forces the user to keep posting the bug for each pre-release version and will end up in orphaned bugs unfortunately. A pre-release bug forum could have the subject of each bug with the version number:
5.50pre3: this is a bug.

Then <Fixed> could be put on fixed ones and no orphans would result.
Old 04-06-2017, 03:35 AM   #7
Gianfini

Quote:
ok, i wish there was a better way. This forces the user to keep posting the bug for each pre-release version and will end up in orphaned bugs unfortunately. A pre-release bug forum could have the subject of each bug with the version number:
5.50pre3: this is a bug.

Then <Fixed> could be put on fixed ones and no orphans would result.
Hi, I think we already have all tools.

Let me explain: in pre-release trheads we have to post two kind of bugs
- regression introduced by the pre-release (aka something that was working before and got broken in the pre)
- bugs specifically linked to the new functionality being introduced (e.g. Automation Items, Spectral Peaks)

The first usually doesn't get overlooked (never happened that I know). The second yes sometimes, but you can re-post it in all subsequent pre and if it gets eventually overlooked without explanation (rare that I know) it should go in the "BUG Report Discussion" that already exists

PS. In my experience devs tend to overlook - if they do - bugs that are not really bugs but feature requests or usability improvement (ouch!)

g
Gianfini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 07:13 AM   #8
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianfini View Post
Hi, I think we already have all tools.

Let me explain: in pre-release trheads we have to post two kind of bugs
- regression introduced by the pre-release (aka something that was working before and got broken in the pre)
- bugs specifically linked to the new functionality being introduced (e.g. Automation Items, Spectral Peaks)

The first usually doesn't get overlooked (never happened that I know). The second yes sometimes, but you can re-post it in all subsequent pre and if it gets eventually overlooked without explanation (rare that I know) it should go in the "BUG Report Discussion" that already exists

PS. In my experience devs tend to overlook - if they do - bugs that are not really bugs but feature requests or usability improvement (ouch!)

g

My entire point is that we should not have to keep reposting and track the bugs ourselves. This is not a solution.
Old 04-06-2017, 07:20 AM   #9
Jack Winter

Quote:
My entire point is that we should not have to keep reposting and track the bugs ourselves. This is not a solution.
I suppose the proper solution is a real bug tracker, but good luck with getting people to use it. It seems like now days people don't want to do much more than a quick post on a forum, and many times forget to create a test prj for the devs to recreate the problem.
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 07:40 AM   #10
EvilDragon

This forum had a bug tracker and it turned out into quite a mess eventually...
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 12:37 PM   #11
EpicSounds

it would help if when someone reports a bug there were one or two people trying to replicate / verify it. It doesn't happen often.

If the devs see that a bug report has 4 confirmations they won't need to figure out if it's system specific or user error.
Old 04-06-2017, 12:57 PM   #12
MT_

Default Post bug as a separate thread

Just post the bug as a separate dedicated thread in the “REAPER Bug Reports” forum section and provide a link to the bug thread in the corresponding prerelease thread.
MT_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 02:00 PM   #13
djdanlib

Seems like the process has been working so far. Lots of other software has a "known issues" section in beta release notes, so maybe a maintained known issues locked sticky post with a last-reported-version field would be useful?
djdanlib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 02:32 PM   #14
MRMJP

Speaking of...it's been almost a week since a pre-release build. Everything OK over there?

Just kidding. I can't believe how often there are beta and official releases.

Very much appreciated and thanks for the excellent software.
Old 04-06-2017, 02:55 PM   #15
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_ View Post
Just post the bug as a separate dedicated thread in the “REAPER Bug Reports” forum section and provide a link to the bug thread in the corresponding prerelease thread.
They said not to post pre release bugs there.
Old 04-06-2017, 03:08 PM   #16
karbomusic

Quote:
Just for my own clarity I'm assuming "pre-release bug" means a bug that never existed before that pre correct?
Old 04-06-2017, 04:28 PM   #17
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Just for my own clarity I'm assuming "pre-release bug" means a bug that never existed before that pre correct?
It is any bug that came after a release in the pre releases that followed.
Old 04-06-2017, 07:52 PM   #18
MT_

Quote:
Then post a bug report (still as a separate dedicated thread) in the prerelease forum section.
Old 04-07-2017, 04:39 AM   #19
Coachz

Quote:
Then post a bug report (still as a separate dedicated thread) in the prerelease forum section.

Then it will just get lost in the sea of pre-release banter. Developers know you put bugs in a special place so that everyone can easily see them and find what build fixed them, what the status of them is, what their priority is, who reported them and what their severity is. We have no way to do that currently.
Old 04-07-2017, 12:24 PM   #20
MT_

Quote:
Then it will just get lost in the sea of pre-release banter.
You could at least not duplicate information and instead just provide a link in each subsequent prerelease if the bug is not fixed.

But yeah, a real bug tracker instead of using forum in this role would be useful.
Old 04-07-2017, 01:17 PM   #21
Coachz

Quote:
You could at least not duplicate information and instead just provide a link in each subsequent prerelease if the bug is not fixed.

But yeah, a real bug tracker instead of using forum in this role would be useful.
As I mentioned earlier, that requires the user to continually track and repost the bug. Not good. This is an easy problem to solve.
Old 04-07-2017, 07:09 PM   #22
MT_

Default Bugzilla

Indeed, an open-source bug-tracker engine such as Bugzilla could be used.