Old 05-07-2012, 04:39 AM   #121
Arnar
Human being with feelings

It seems impossible for me to get a smooth video in Reaper 64 bit?
tried just about everything, only thing that semi-works is uncompressed AVI.
Runing Reaper 4.22
Arnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:24 AM   #122
airon

First post of this thread. It shows where to get the FFMPEG libraries and where to install them.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:50 PM   #123
MJFarmermac

Default HELP!!! WTF!?!? Love Reaper, HATE its video

OK. I have a pretty robust machine (core i7 with 16 gigs of RAM) so I know that's not the problem, but I have NEVER been able to get Reaper's video to work properly. I usually get vids from clients that are MP4's or Quicktimes. Usually, I just get a black screen, occasionally, I get video that's upside down- hunh? So I was just trying to watch a vid that a client gave me and again, I'm getting nothing but a black screen, so I thought I'd try to download the latest FFMPEG shared build and see if that worked. So I did, unzipped it- the three files in the BIN folder were like 10-18 Megs each, whereas the ones actually in the Reaper folder initially were like 300 KB. OK that's weird, so I put the old ones in my recycle bin and put the new ones in my reaper folder. Now Reaper crashes every time I try to import a video. Crap! So I pull the old ones back out of the recycle bin and put them back in the reaper folder. Still crashes when I import a video file. Now I'm in trouble! What the hell is going on? For those of you who are good with this stuff, it's probably obvious that I don't understand ffmpeg or how it works, but that's part of the problem- I just want video that plays- it doesn't seem like that should require such a monumental effort and so many headaches! Someone please help!
Old 05-12-2012, 07:55 PM   #124
airon

Following the first post of this thread didn't help ?

It is Windows you're using, right ?
Old 05-12-2012, 08:20 PM   #125
MJFarmermac

Yeah I followed the first thread- that's what led me to try to install the latest ffmpeg version. I'm on windows 7 64 bit. I'm afraid I can't load my sessions that have vid tracks on them now since it crashes reaper. I tried reinstallIng latest version to no avail. Thought maybe I could try installIng an older version and then reinstall newest version. I accidentally double-Clicked the ffmpeg application- saw a brief flash of dos cmd line- don't know if that screwed something up? Does frmpeg look for folders in the reaper folder? I still have the unzipped latest version folder in there, but the files from the bin folder are outside the folder. It seems like I need a way to get reaper to re-find fffmpeg? Thanks on advance for any help. I'm kinda screwed if I don't get this running by tomorrow afternoon.
Old 05-13-2012, 03:28 AM   #126
airon

Not the latest version. That has some API changes that Reaper has yet to support. Damn, it's an oversight on my part that I didn't put this in to the 64-bit version description as well. Now corrected. I'm sorry for the loss of time.

http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/win...in64-shared.7z

That's the one that works. There might be newer ones, but this works(I use it).

Place the DLL files from the BIN directory alongside the Reaper.exe. Check the video preferences to make sure it's not using OS decoding, and you should be good to go.

Your program directory should look like this:

Remember that transcoding is sometimes necessary, though rarely for MP4 and most Quicktime files. Prores though, that's another story.

Last edited by airon; 05-13-2012 at 03:37 AM.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:10 AM   #127
MJFarmermac

Default Still no dice!

I installed the ffmpeg that you suggested. My reaper folder now looks like yours. Still crashes. It will load my projects, however, if I check "use OS video decoding"- so it's ffmpeg that's crashing the program. I don't know if one of the incorrect versions that I put in Reaper's folder earlier is hanging it up or what. I think the first time I copied stuff there, I copied all the files in the bin folder- including the ffmpeg, ffplay, ffprobe, and avconv "applications" into the Reaper directory. I'm assuming from your instructions that I shouldn't have done this- only the dll's right? Would that cause this behavior? Is there a quick way (i.e. deleting or moving a configuration file or folder) to get Reaper to re-look up its ffmpeg dll's? Is it looking for the old ones, or looking in the wrong place? I didn't install Reaper on my C: drive (it's a SSD with pretty much just Windows on it) It's installed on my F: drive which is two 2TB drives in RAID 1. I placed the ffmpeg files in the Reaper install directory on my F: drive. This shouldn't make any difference should it? I posted more exact system specs in my signature if that helps.

I'm wondering if I should do a complete reinstall- ugh! Thanks again for your help.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:59 PM   #128
airon

You can easily backup your configuration with the IMPORT EXPORT buttons in the General preferences.

And you can test portable installations for alternative configurations without disrupting your original installation. You can import your exported configuration file in to the portable installation.

I don't know if it's possible to muck up a Reaper installation by dumping all the contents of the BIN directory of the FFMPEG libraries in to the program directory.
Old 05-13-2012, 01:36 PM   #129
MJFarmermac

Well, something has definitely gone very wrong. I've tried converting these files to avi via QuickTime pro, mp4, which they ready are? And mpeg2 and wmv Via vlc player- Absolutely NOTHING gives me anything but a blank screen. Furthermore I now have a wmv file that I can't delete that I converted via vlc player. This is absolutely infuriating! I have a badass machine and a relatively badass video card and I can't watch video at all in reaper. I just uninstalled and reinstalled reaper. After reinstall I unchecked "use os..." and importing a vid didn't cause crash- still had only black screen, but no crash. After importing ffmpeg dll's (from the set u recommended) now reaped crashes when I import a vid file! WTF! Am I the only person on earth this is happening to? I really can't think of anything else to try. This is really the first time that I truly feel like the problem is reaper and not my own ignorance. Help please!
Old 05-13-2012, 03:44 PM   #130
airon

What does your program directory look like ?

Perhaps a command promot and
Code:
dir *.* >blahblah.txt
Are you installing the 64-bit version of Reaper(doesn't hurt to check) ?

What kind of codec are the Quicktime files using ?

All this is just rechecking everything. Oh yeah, what version of Reaper are you using ?

Last edited by airon; 05-13-2012 at 04:45 PM.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:25 PM   #131
MJFarmermac

Below is my program directory (F:Program Files/Reaper) I originally didn't have the .exe files from the bin folder in here after reinstalling reaper, but since the last time I was actually able to see any video of any kind in Reaper those files were in there, I decided to try putting them in again to see if they would work.
Here's my install directory:

avcodec-53.dll
avconv.exe
avdevice-53.dll
avfilter-2.dll
avformat-53.dll
avutil-51.dll
Docs
ffmpeg.exe
ffplay.exe
ffprobe.exe
InstallData
license.txt
list.txt
Plugins
postproc-51.dll
reamote.exe
reaper.exe
reaper-install.ini
REAPERReWireDev.dll
reaper-to-usb.bat
swresample-0.dll
swscale-2.dll
tips.txt
Uninstall.exe
whatsnew.txt

I've just upgraded my graphics card driver, and done a system restore to two days ago- I actually haven't used the vid in awhile so there could be a windows update conflict, but I'm not going back thru every system restore over the last couple of months. Yes, I'm installing 64 bit Reaper, version 4.22, but I am a little sleep deprived so I double checked. Looking at source properties of the vid file (which I can only do if I'm using OS, not FFMPEG, as it crashes) it's showing the following:

Video: 960x540@29.97fps, Aspect=1.00, Decoding format=YUY2
Audio: 48000Hz 2ch 16bps

Using Quicktime decoder (bridged)

Thanks again for all of your help! You rock. Don't know how I could repay you, but let me know if you think of something!
Old 05-14-2012, 07:32 AM   #132
airon

My printout looks a little more complex than that.
Code:
14.05.2012  16:28    <DIR>          .
14.05.2012  16:28    <DIR>          ..
20.09.2011  01:56        13.271.040 avcodec-53.dll
20.09.2011  01:56           356.352 avdevice-53.dll
20.09.2011  01:56           865.280 avfilter-2.dll
20.09.2011  01:56         2.436.096 avformat-53.dll
20.09.2011  01:56           133.632 avutil-51.dll
14.05.2012  16:28                 0 blahblah.txt
31.03.2012  16:24    <DIR>          Docs
31.03.2012  16:24    <DIR>          InstallData
17.04.2012  15:29             8.920 license.txt
08.05.2012  23:45    <DIR>          Plugins
20.09.2011  01:56           166.912 postproc-51.dll
08.05.2012  19:14         1.633.280 reamote.exe
08.05.2012  23:45               506 reaper-install.ini
16.02.2012  06:43             2.239 reaper-to-usb.bat
08.05.2012  19:21         8.611.840 reaper.exe
08.05.2012  19:11            22.016 REAPERReWireDev.dll
08.05.2012  19:12           137.728 rearoute.dll
20.09.2011  01:56            35.328 swresample-0.dll
20.09.2011  01:56           289.792 swscale-2.dll
16.02.2012  06:43             4.915 tips.txt
08.05.2012  23:45           341.640 Uninstall.exe
08.05.2012  19:11            45.277 whatsnew.txt
Please compare the filesizes of the FFMPEG dll files to those you have. If they're identical, we'll need to check your video options.

A note on Windows 7. I have the following three options ON in the performance options, which you can find in the System Properties (right-click on "Computer" to get those) / Advanced(I only know the German word for it right now so this may be called something else) / Performance section / Visual Effects.

Show window contents when dragging
Smoother screen fonts (may have a name I don't know, since again I'm using a German Win7)
Visual Styles for Windows and Buttons

Here's a shot of my video settings in Reaper :
Old 05-14-2012, 08:31 AM   #133
MudSkipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky_bleeder View Post
... Now remove the loop and let the play cursor go beyond the end of the clip/item
Play from the beginning again
Video window is now blank , and stays that way.

I'm on Windows 7 64, most recent version of Reaper 64.
I'm seeing this. My source properties as follows:
Length: 0:45.469
Video: 760x594@24.39fps, Aspect=1.00, Decoding format=YUY2
Audio: 44100Hz 2ch 16bps

Using Quicktime decoder (bridged)

If I close Reaper and reopen the file, the video has come back so far. It's still a time sucker and productivity blocker for me, however.
MudSkipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:24 AM   #134
airon

Mudskipper, what are the codecs used for the video and audio in that Quicktime file ?

Have you attempted to transcode the video ? Is so, what codec/container combo ?
Old 05-14-2012, 11:19 AM   #135
axolotl

Hi everyone,

I am having trouble with exporting/render video with Quicktime H.264. The result is only Audio. When I check with VLC or familiar, there is no codec for video, only for audio.

This only happens with H.264

All the others videocodec and containers renders fine with BOTH video and audio.

I also see on the filesize that Reaper seems to ignore video encoding when I choose quicktim/mov.
To bad, because I need only .mov/H264 export. (I want to do 320x240 25frame/sec, 384bitrate video and AAC 128 for audio.

I am running Windows 7 professionel and latest Reaper 4.22 in 32-bit.

Anyone else have this problem? I notice that Blackbart has report this in this thread too. Did you solve it?

I would really appreciate, If anyone can help me.

Btw, this is my first post so I want to take the opportunity to say Hello to everyone and hope this will be a pleasant experience with this board and community.

Cheers
/A.
axolotl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:52 PM   #136
airon

AAC never seems to have worked very well. Have you tried using MP3 or 16-bit PCM for the audio instead ?

Testing Quicktime exports now...

-edit-
It is as it has been since I first tried exporting Quicktimes.

AAC encoding does not work properly and produces Quicktime files that none of my players (QT player, VLC, MPC-HC) can play. In fact, there's no video track in them.

The only recourse is to use 16-bit PCM audio or MP3. That works.

Last edited by airon; 05-14-2012 at 01:14 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:35 PM   #137
MJFarmermac

Default HHHHEEEEELLLLLLPPPPPP!!!!!!!

Still nothing. Black screen when OS is checked, crash when ffmpeg checked. Looked at ffmpeg .dll file sizes and compared with yours- identical. Looked at the prefs you mentioned in windows 7- I have many more than those three checked- are suggesting I should uncheck all others? I've been through every menu for my vid card and windows that has anything to do with video and tried unchecking things that seemed unnecessary- still no dice. I also seem to be the only person in the universe having this problem, so I don't know what to do next... I bought this machine from a company that builds gaming computers- all I can think of is that there's some weird, arcane thing they disabled as being useless? I do have this gaming network card that was a free upgrade when I got the machine -bigfoot killer networks xeno or some such. I figured networking has nothing to do with my vid problem, but I did a google search and found this:

Media Plugin Webkit Fail Due To Bigfoot Killer Network Cards
UPDATE: This issue will be fixed in the next version of Firestorm FIRE-3877
Bigfoot Killer network cards will always have media plugin webkit fail on any webkit based viewer. The workaround is as follows:..etc

This appears to be a linux thing? maybe? Greek to me, but I'm clearly grasping at straws now and am getting desperate. I'm actually hitting spacebars simultaneously on two machines to try to write music to picture. It's 1998 all over again at my house! I moved to Reaper for freedom, but now I'm feeling oppressed.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:20 PM   #138
airon

Here's a portable installation package with the FFMPEG DLLs installed and a clean slate in terms of the Reaper.ini .

If this setup works on your machine, carefully import things one at a time, and backup the portable installation between each change. Import your key commands, then your toolbars and so on. You can export them separetely in the Preferences/General page from your usual installation.

If it works, backup your Reaper application support folder, remove it, uninstall Reaper (not the portable installation), export the complete config from the portable installation, install Reaper, copy the FFMPEG DLL files in to the Reaper program directory from the portable installation, start the installed Reaper, import the config from the portable one.... and that sucker should hopefully work.

If this portable installation works. Then again, perhaps it's a more basic error and a backup of your Windows system, then a fresh install is in order. It's easier to blow two hours on a system and audio software reinstall, than to agonize for another day. But try the stuff above first.

The portable installation, tested to work on my system. It's completely vanilla except for the added FFMPEG DLLs and the sound device choice (Direct Sound primary system driver).

-edit- Ok, the file's offline now. Hope it works.

Last edited by airon; 05-14-2012 at 05:32 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:27 PM   #139
MJFarmermac

Got it Airon. Thanks! Once again, you rock. Hopefully I can get this to work!
Old 05-14-2012, 11:05 PM   #140
MJFarmermac

Default nope

file still crashed it. For some ridiculous reason, unchecking everything but the three items you mentioned in the advanced windows preferences made it so OS video decoding now works with MPEG files. WTF?? However, FFMPEG still crashes Reaper every time when loading these MP4's, even your version running off of a flash drive. Win7 generated a report for me to send to them. Fat chance they'll be able to do anything and it's complete greek to me. Is this officially a bug? This is my first real negative experience with Reaper, but it's a big one for me- I need to have reliable video, and I can't understand why a program that is so amazing and complex would have trouble playing something that a crappy program like Windows Media Player can handle. Again thanks for all of your help. If you have any ideas where I should go from here please let me know. It took me weeks to install all of my software, so I think I'd rather just pray for cockos to finally upgrade the vid on Reaper than go through that again.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:59 AM   #141
axolotl

Default Still not work

Airon,
I tried with mp3 for audio instead. Still no picture, and filesize is small.

Can everyone but me (and maybe Blackbart) export .mov (quicktime with video) with success?

P.S
I have downloaded the codec files that is linked in the first post for 32-bit.

All other video encoding works (mpeg etc) but not when I export .mov with H.264. I only get black/none video + audio.

Please help

/A.
axolotl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:36 AM   #142
airon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJFarmermac View Post
file still crashed it. For some ridiculous reason, unchecking everything but the three items you mentioned in the advanced windows preferences made it so OS video decoding now works with MPEG files. WTF??

However, FFMPEG still crashes Reaper every time when loading these MP4's, even your version running off of a flash drive. Win7 generated a report for me to send to them. Fat chance they'll be able to do anything and it's complete greek to me.

Is this officially a bug? This is my first real negative experience with Reaper, but it's a big one for me- I need to have reliable video, and I can't understand why a program that is so amazing and complex would have trouble playing something that a crappy program like Windows Media Player can handle. Again thanks for all of your help.

If you have any ideas where I should go from here please let me know. It took me weeks to install all of my software, so I think I'd rather just pray for cockos to finally upgrade the vid on Reaper than go through that again.
You're probably worried about the time it takes to install software instruments I gather. Well, it depends which one. Omnisphere just needs an alias in its install directory, so the content doesn't have to be reinstalled. This is actually what it's like for almost all of them these days.

You can experiment with the colourspace settings in the Reaper video preferences of course. Maybe that'll help.

Could you open the offending MP4 with the Quicktime player and write down what the Film Inspector(CTRL+I default) says about it ? That might help in analyzing this as well. Perhaps you could provide the developers (email a link of the file to support at cockos dot com) with an example file and a full Sandra system report as well.

Another possible way to deal with this is to transcode the video. With any modern CPU it takes anywhre from one to 20 minutes for most material.

Get MPEG Streamclip from http://www.squared5.com and transcode it to one of these two, which are known to work very well, and hopefully will work for you too.

H264 video, 16-bit PCM audio, High-bitrate(7 MBit or more), 0-frame keydistance, Quicktime.

PhotoJPEG video , 16-bit PCM audio, Medium to High quality (50-75%), Quicktime.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:53 AM   #143
airon

Quote:
Originally Posted by axolotl View Post
Airon,
I tried with mp3 for audio instead. Still no picture, and filesize is small.

Can everyone but me (and maybe Blackbart) export .mov (quicktime with video) with success?

P.S
I have downloaded the codec files that is linked in the first post for 32-bit.

All other video encoding works (mpeg etc) but not when I export .mov with H.264. I only get black/none video + audio.

Please help

/A.
That is a bit weird. A fresh install will manage to produce a valid Quicktime with picture and MP3 audio every time.

Have you tried this with a fresh portable install and just the FFMPEG DLL files ?

Perhaps you should try uncompressed AVI with 16-bit PCM audio, and encode that with MPEG Streamclip in to a H264/AAC Quicktime.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:18 AM   #144
MJFarmermac

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
You're probably worried about the time it takes to install software instruments I gather. Well, it depends which one. Omnisphere just needs an alias in its install directory, so the content doesn't have to be reinstalled. This is actually what it's like for almost all of them these days.
Yeah, I have Vienna Special Edition, with all the dongle crap, some waves plugins with their dongle crap, Reason with its dongle crap, LA scoring strings, which is big, etc. Installing was a PITA.

Quote:
You can experiment with the colourspace settings in the Reaper video preferences of course. Maybe that'll help.
I don't know anything about these and therefore have some trepidation about playing with them. Are you talking about just forcing RGB, or messing with those YUV-whatever settings? Is there a quick and dirty explanation out there somewhere- post, wiki, something?

Quote:
Could you open the offending MP4 with the Quicktime player and write down what the Film Inspector(CTRL+I default) says about it ? That might help in analyzing this as well. Perhaps you could provide the developers (email a link of the file to support at cockos dot com) with an example file and a full Sandra system report as well.
Will do when I get home today. I would've just sent the file to you, but I have a Non Disclosure Agreement with the client. I may try to find another file that exhibits same behavior but that I have rights to.

Quote:
Another possible way to deal with this is to transcode the video. With any modern CPU it takes anywhre from one to 20 minutes for most material.

Get MPEG Streamclip from http://www.squared5.com and transcode it to one of these two, which are known to work very well, and hopefully will work for you too.

H264 video, 16-bit PCM audio, High-bitrate(7 MBit or more), 0-frame keydistance, Quicktime.

PhotoJPEG video , 16-bit PCM audio, Medium to High quality (50-75%), Quicktime.
I ended up basically doing this, but to MPEG2 and then using the OS decoders- it was the only way I could get vid to play in Reaper, but at least I'm not rockin' the two computers' spacebars like before. Thanks again for all your help.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:29 AM   #145
airon

You can freely play with the colour space switches in the video preferences without any kind of nasty risks. Nothing bad can happen from it, and Reaper crashing isn't really like Protools crashing. It's just another variable to mess around with.

You don't have to send any in-development material to the devs, though they're keep it to themselves of course.

You can ask the picture department to produce ten seconds with timecode in front of a black frame for example. Tell them you've got problems with the video they've provided and you need to trouble-shoot it with the DAW developer. Generating that kind of video takes two minutes for veteran picture assistants. It has to use the same export settings they used for your previous video. Emphazise that.

And who knows, maybe they'll have an idea what the problem might be as well and send you different video versions.

Be sure to include the film inspector readout of the MP4 file as soon as possible. I really hate video problems like this and had some similar ones a long time ago with Reaper as well (v3), but those couldn't apply to these versions.

Btw, what are your system specs(mainboard, CPU, RAM, GFX card, gfx card driver version, audio device) ?

Here's a collection of tips from Avid, helping users to optimize their setups for use in Protools. That actually helps to use all DAWs, so you may want to check those out if you haven't already.

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...oting/en349411

These tips are extremely useful, in particular the system settings like cpu scheduling for background services instead of programs, which can be found in the tab next door to the visual performance stuff I already mentioned.

Last edited by airon; 05-15-2012 at 08:38 AM.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:46 AM   #146
MJFarmermac

Quote:
You can ask the picture department to produce ten seconds with timecode in front of a black frame for example. Tell them you've got problems with the video they've provided and you need to trouble-shoot it with the DAW developer. Generating that kind of video takes two minutes for veteran picture assistants. It has to use the same export settings they used for your previous video. Emphazise that.

And who knows, maybe they'll have an idea what the problem might be as well and send you different video versions.
I'll see if they can send me a short black frame vid. In the meantime, I'll get the film inspector info (as soon as I get home, at which point I'm guessing you'll be asleep with the sun being on the other side of the Earth and all). The vid department has no idea what the problem is, although I'm guessing they think it's because they have mighty Macs and I have a lowly PC- the PCs are always the problem.

Quote:
Btw, what are your system specs(mainboard, CPU, RAM, GFX card, gfx card driver version, audio device) ?
Some of those specs are in my signature, but here's the Full Monty:
Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-2600K Processor (4x 3.40GHz/8MB L3 Cache)
RAM: 16 GB DDR3-1600 Memory
Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB - Single Card
Video Driver version: 296.10
Motherboard: [SLI] ASUS P8Z68-V Pro -- 3x PCI-E 2.0 x16, On-Board Bluetooth, Lucid Virtu Technology
Primary Hard Drive: 60 GB Corsair Force Series 3 F60 SSD SATA-III 6Gb/s - Single Drive
Data Hard Drive: 2 TB HARD DRIVE -- 64M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Dual 2TB Drives(2TB Capacity) - RAID 1 Data Security (Hitachi 0f12115)
Sound Card (schwag): 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard
No, I mean your real Sound Card: Mackie Onyx 1640 firewire
Network Card: Killer Xeno Pro Gaming Network Card
OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium + Office Starter 2010 (Includes basic versions of Word and Excel) - 64-Bit

I'll check out the Avid tips. Thanks for feeling my pain!
Old 05-15-2012, 03:43 PM   #147
MJFarmermac

Default Quicktime inspector

Here's the quicktime inspector for the movie clip. Downloaded MPEG streamclip. PCM 16-bit isn't an option for a quicktime export, at least not for this clip. I saw in another post that AAC files are a problem- is that why I'm having difficulties? I tried exporting quicktimes with MP3 instead, (there were some other options you mentioned that I couldn't find in the streamclip menus like bitrate and keydistance.) Anyway MPEG streamclip said "Error: can't prepare the movie" Well, that's a surprise, since this vid clip has been sooo cooperative.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Quicktime inspector jpeg.jpg (22.1 KB, 388 views)

Last edited by MJFarmermac; 05-16-2012 at 03:43 AM.
MJFarmermac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:18 AM   #148
airon

Since these videos are for your own use, why not try Quicktime, PhotoJPEG(60-75% quality), uncompresed audio(or just export the audio as a WAV separately and keep audio out of the resulting video file).

MPEG Streamclip should have little trouble producing those.

Also a decent option are MKV containers, which can be produced with the software Handbrake, also free. The sound can be decodec in to almost any format, except for uncompressed audio.

In film work I might use the Quicktime audio as a guide track, but I always have it as separate audio so it's available on its own track, which is what Protools offers to do for you anyway.

Now of course, there may be something wrong with your system. May be. To test for that we should try other video files.

The MP4 files you can download off Youtube (with a Firefox extension like DownloadHelper or a dedicated tool) work very well in Reaper.

Meanwhile I'll prepare a small clip for you to test as well.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:14 AM   #149
airon

Here's the clip.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9190381/twovideos_and_sound.rar (17 MB)

Two versions and a sound file

1) Quicktime H264 (75% quality multipass and bframes), uncompressed 16-bit stereo 44kHz audio(as in the original MP4)

2) Quicktime PhotoJPEG(50% quality), no sound

and a simple audio export from MPEG streamclip of uncompressed stereo 16 bit audio.

These clips work pefectly in my 64-bit Reaper 4.23pre9 with the mentioned FFMPEG version.

If this still crashes your system, then you'll have to take a hard look at your system. Those Avid tips are a good to follow as well.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:46 PM   #150
MJFarmermac

Default Well...

OK. All of these work without a hitch. So in the future I need to transcode to these formats, right? Only problem is that Streamclip didn't give me the option to transcode to these formats. I know you said I could transcode just the vid, and do audio separately, but is there any way to transcode vid and audio from an mp4 that has AAC audio with streamclip?

Thanks again! You are restoring my faith in the great Reaper...if not in the video side per se, at least in the awesome user community!
Old 05-16-2012, 03:30 PM   #151
airon

You're saying you can produce no video from those MP4 files ?

MPEG Streamclip should be able to load an MP4 with H264 and AAC sound. That's what the original MP4 of those videos I sent were.

Try again and pick "Export quicktime". Choose Apple PhotoJPEG for codec and NO Audio for the sound. You can export the sound with "Export audio".

50-75% quality and you're good to go, unless the MP4 just craps out Streamclip.

If that doesn't work, perhaps the picture department can send you a nice clean, legal H264 Quicktime instead. They can encode the audio as 16-bit PCM audio in that. If the conversion program that a lot of folks in the industry are using all the time fails to load a video they produced, the video is not ok. The quickest solution is a new video file in a format that's unlikely to fail.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:19 PM   #152
MJFarmermac

Sorry for the confusion. Here's the deal. Those clips load and play IN REAPER with "OS" unchecked (YAY!) without crashing as my other clip did. I haven't tried them in stream clip at all. I'll check that later, but overall whatever my prob is with video in reaper it has to do with the difference between the clip I posted the info for and the ones you sent
Old 05-17-2012, 04:15 AM   #153
MJFarmermac

Default Getting warmer....

OK. So transcoding these files was also no problem (although for whatever reason in this version of streamclip (v1.2) there's no option for exporting PCM audio- even with your clips. OPtions are: Uncompressed, IMA4:1, MPEG4 AAC, MPEG Layer2, MPEG Layer3, and no sound. That problem seems secondary though. The real issue is that the vid supplied by my client crashed reaper (and I'm not talking about when I hit play- it crashed it when I imported it) and Streamclip gave me an error when I tried to transcode it. The files you sent appear to have many of the same qualities, but work absolutely fine in both Reaper and Streamclip, so something is very weird with the vid from my client. I'll ask them to send me some random clip transcoded the same way- see if I can duplicate behavior of the original problem clip then maybe send to you and/or devs? It's becoming obvious that there's some kind of video combination that's absolute poison to my machine, and I want to know what it is!
Old 05-17-2012, 09:05 AM   #154
airon

If "Export audio" in the "File" menu isn't showing up for you, get the 1.2.1 beta, which works absolutely fine, and has for years .

Hope the picture department sorts this out. Glad you can at least transcode the material.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:48 AM   #155
MJFarmermac

Quote:
If "Export audio" in the "File" menu isn't showing up for you, get the 1.2.1 beta, which works absolutely fine, and has for years .

Hope the picture department sorts this out. Glad you can at least transcode the material.
Actually, I can't. I can play in Reaper and transcode THE FILES YOU SENT ME and only those. The file from the client still crashes Reaper, and still doesn't transcode. when I said I couldn't transcode PCM audio, I meant it wasn't one of the options for audio when I was trying to transcode to a quicktime. There were only the options I mentioned in an earlier post(MP3, MP2, etc.) I haven't tried transcoding the audio only or the vid with no sound. I was testing the files you sent me to see if ANY files would play in Reaper or would transcode. The fact that the vid files you sent DO play in Reaper and transcode via streamclip tells me that there's something about the vid file sent by my client that's different and is crashing Reaper and stopping Streamclip from transcoding. Thanks for sending those vids, though. It's nice to know that my system CAN do it.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:45 PM   #156
airon

I got this kind of bad video a couple of times. Things that would jerk Protools to a standstill or crash it. Usually the picture department has no trouble producing something that works well. The picture assistants I've worked with always told be it was a matter of changing an option in the Avid Media composer export.

The trouble with the Avid Media Composer(Nitris and Symphony) about five years ago was that the Avid Media Composer was painfully slow at encoding H264 media. It was quicker to do a live playout to DVD, a Protools AV option video device or an external video player/recorder and give that to you.

Please keep us up to date and provide any dangerous video files you're allowed to that could perhaps help us prevent this kind of debacle.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:08 PM   #157
MJFarmermac

Cool. They're going to post a link to me today.
Thanks again!
Old 05-17-2012, 03:35 PM   #158
MJFarmermac

Default Stranger and stranger...

OK. So the vid guys sent me a video that I could potentially send on to you and/or devs. Here's the thing- it works! But after retrying original vid, no dice. The only difference is that this new one has no sound- so maybe AAC is the problem? The other difference is that this one is much shorter. Son't see how that would make a difference though. However, this one still won't transcode to quicktime in streamclip. I was going to send it to you buy Reaper won't let me attach it. Weird- this one doesn't crash reaper but still won't transcode. Old file won't do either.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:20 PM   #159
airon

Any filesharing service will do. How large is it ?

Send me a PM with the link if you like.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:53 AM   #160
Mwhlr

Just want to thank you, airon, for what you've been doing in this thread. I'm sure a number of people, including myself, couldn't have set Reaper up for post-production without the information in this thread.

However, I am still having problems with this single HD video, as described on page 3. With no other data in the project except the video, it is extremely jerky and freezes. When I render it, the outputted file still has black flashes every few seconds (exact same points in every render).

If you manage to find the time to revisit my issue, I'd very much appreciate it.
Mwhlr is offline   Reply With Quote