Old 02-15-2014, 12:26 PM   #1
msundh
Human being with feelings

Default DI Box

Hi
I get some really bad latency when having guitar amp and especially Reverb with IR in the track input FX.
I was thinking of playing thru my guitar process and DI the signal to the audio device. I have a Focusrite 18i8 and a guitar processor with one Guitar input and two line output.
Should I use a passive or Active DI box or do you have any other suggestion?
Old 02-15-2014, 01:07 PM   #2
ashcat_lt

Plug the line out from the guitar processor into the line input on the interface. What do you think you need a DI for?
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 02:48 PM   #3
ivansc

Focusrite + USB1 or 2 is an uncertain recipe for low latency in my experience.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 03:07 PM   #4
msundh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
Plug the line out from the guitar processor into the line input on the interface. What do you think you need a DI for?
I want to hear a good sound from my guitar processor while recording, but I want to record an unprocessed signal to be used by an amp sim and cab sim later.
It is hard to play disted guitar with feeling when only hearing a Clean singal.
My idea was to plug the line out from the guitar processor to the line in in the audio interface and simultaniously record a Clean signal from Another line/guitar in in the audio interface.
Old 02-15-2014, 03:39 PM   #5
Tim Ragnur

When recording you should use the no latency "direct monitoring" on your audio interface, instead of monitoring through Reaper.
Beeing a bit creative, this feature could actually be used to record both the direct guitar signal and the ampsimulatorbox. And you don't need an extra DI, since it's build into your 18i8 input 1+2.

Direct from guitar -> 18i8 input 1
Route this to 18i8 output 1 -> Guitaramp in
Guitaramp out -> input 2
Route this to your headphones.
Tim Ragnur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 04:03 PM   #6
msundh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ragnur View Post
Direct from guitar -> 18i8 input 1
Route this to 18i8 output 1 -> Guitaramp in
Guitaramp out -> input 2
Route this to your headphones.
But then I have no monitors, only headphones
Old 02-15-2014, 04:32 PM   #7
Tim Ragnur

Well yeah, if you are monitoring on loudspeakers... You could use one output for monitoring and the other going to that guitar processor, if you can live with mono monitoring.
Tim Ragnur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 05:35 PM   #8
Naji

Maybe buffer size could reduce latency - try 128 (Reaper Preferences / Audio Device Settings)
Naji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 05:40 PM   #9
ashcat_lt

Does your processor have a mode where it sends dry to one side and effected to the other? Many do.

Otherwise, I still wouldn't use a DI. Put a buffered pedal (any name brand pedal that doesnt specifically say true bypazs) before the processor, powered but off, and use a Y cable to split to the processor and either the DI or line input. Heck if you've got something like a Boss stereo chorus then it's done! This is essentially the same as an active DI, but it's something most guitarists have laying around anyway.

I advise against passive DIs for a couple reasonsm. Mostly because it's just assinine to attenuate an already too low signal and then gain it back up at the preamp. The only thing that does is add noise. For the runs we're talking about in home studio land, the balanced connection doesn't help because some of the noise comes from the DI, and some from the preamp itself.

Just buffer and split.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 02:55 PM   #10
Faderjockey

If I was you... And wanted what you're asking the best way if your processor doesn't have a unprocessed output is to use a DI.

Take the balanced out of the DI of into the line in of your interface take the thru on the DI and go to your gtr processor.. I would also run the processor into Reaper just to have it as a backup.

You'll be recording to 2tracks just mute the DI track so you can hear that processor track you want to hear.
I would also make sure you lower your buffer setting low as you can just to make it feel better.

Then when you go to mix you can use that DI track to run through plugins for another amp tone.
Faderjockey is offline   Reply With Quote