Old 04-18-2011, 05:39 PM   #81
keys
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
Something along these lines will happen, not sure exactly what, most likely a PDF.
Great, thanks. I'll keep a look out for that!
keys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 06:03 PM   #82
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
If it's easy to turn it in to an easy to get PDF file, yeah.
Click to Convert will do this, bur I'm not sure how flexible it is. Try it if you like, google to find an evaluation download.
nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 01:38 AM   #83
G-Sun

Quote:
G-Sun ...

My feeling is that what you're asking for would require quite a commitment by quite a lot of people, plus they would need to be people with giood knowledge and good writing and communicating skills, as well as being able to find their way around software.
Yes, it's a big decision by Cockos and/or the community, and a lot of work. So, it depend on how many desires such a manual, and how many who actually commit themselves to do the work. At the moment I would not commit myself to more than dreaming about it. But.. that's not unimportant either
Quote:
Would a more achievable goal be to really make the WIKI into the best it can be?
Yes, of course, that's a good start. But it really should be a decision well discussed, and Cockos would have their say as well (it would involve a little more being done regarding administrators, perhaps user-levels and such)

The clear benefits of such a choice would to me be:
- A lot less writing would be needed on the forum
- Much easier access to manual-information (better search-ability and quick navigation through links)
- 3rd party addons could easily have their space in the manual, well consolidated (often now it's scattered over 3-20 forumpages)
- The devs could sometimes update the manuals themselves
- A lot of tips and tricks could be included, focusing on various aspects of Reaper and recording

And BTW: We would still need an offline-manual. But it could maybe then be shorter, and maybe it wouldn't be necessary to update it so often.

Last edited by G-Sun; 04-19-2011 at 01:48 AM.
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 05:20 AM   #84
malcolmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Sun View Post
I dream of an online manual that is:
- Google-friendly
- Multi-user-editable
- Well structured
- Has into-depth topic-content as well as overview/quick-start info.
- Is overlooked by administrators who finds a good balance between community writing/ much info and cleaning up /taking the gems out of the mine
- Can reference to forum-threads (for further reading)
- Can include text, images, audio and video
- Has clickable glossary
- Interlinking stuff
- Is searchable from Reasearch

So, that's just me. I'm a dreamer
There are products around that provide all of the technical features you're after. At my company we've recently started using a product called Confluence. At $10 for a ten user license it's both technically and commercially capable of doing the job.

Solving the technology issue is the easy part. The hard part is finding people willing to do the writing.

Cheers,

Malcolm.
malcolmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 06:51 AM   #85
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmj View Post
Solving the technology issue is the easy part. The hard part is finding people willing to do the writing.
Plus (and this is what I really would like folks to understand) you have the REAPER paradigm of upgrades every couple of weeks or so.

This is an approach that I 100% love ... but at the same time it does bring with it its own issues ... people just have to understand this!

Last edited by nicholas; 04-19-2011 at 07:01 AM.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:13 AM   #86
G-Sun

Thanks!
I think I will focus on special parts of the wiki when I see the need and I have the time for it.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:35 AM   #87
Amazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmj View Post
There are products around that provide all of the technical features you're after. At my company we've recently started using a product called Confluence. At $10 for a ten user license it's both technically and commercially capable of doing the job.

Cheers,

Malcolm.
Confluence seems quite useful. I like the wiki approach it brings and the ability to export to other formats.
Amazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 03:23 AM   #88
HH007

Default When will the user guide for Reaper V4 be published

Hi,

When will the user guide be published? With all these new features it would be nice to have a manual, a beta-manual even.

Thanks
HH007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 03:30 AM   #89
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HH007 View Post
Hi,

When will the user guide be published? With all these new features it would be nice to have a manual, a beta-manual even.

Thanks
It should be available at or very close to the same time that the software itself is released.
Old 06-24-2011, 04:17 AM   #90
G-Sun

You'll find some info here:
http://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/Category:ReaperV4
Old 07-04-2011, 08:03 AM   #91
airon

@Nicholas

Are you going to include easy guides to setting up the audio and midi devices ? I'm asking because I have tried to create some small PDFs for that purpose.

I've always liked the Quickstart document included in Reaper itself, so perhaps the ones shown in this thread could inspire you(and your co-authors/proofreaders) to create some to be distributed in Reaper itself.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 01:10 AM   #92
optical

Quote:
Plus (and this is what I really would like folks to understand) you have the REAPER paradigm of upgrades every couple of weeks or so.

This is an approach that I 100% love ... but at the same time it does bring with it its own issues ... people just have to understand this!

Suggestion: how about having someone mark the specific locations of outdated material in the main version manual with pdf highlighter??

Ever since I started reading manuals for software or hardware that gets regularly upgraded I have felt frustrated that update documentation doesn't refer to the main document - referring precisely (page, paragraph etc.) to the parts of the main document which are now obsolete. This seems so obvious and yet I have never heard it mentioned or seen it well implemented.

Given the frequency of Reaper updates perhaps this function could be formally catered for, ie help for Geoffry???

When an instruction manual is as well laid out and written as Reaper's have consistently been one doesn't want to have to second guess it's accuracy. Highlighter references in the main manual (letting readers know this material was now obsolete) and page/paragraph references in update sheets (referring readers back to the main manual) would be a HUGE help to end users.

I'm guessing if this system was established and understood as a paradigm by all Reaperites it would be quite easy to maintain.

(looking back on my post I'm glad I don't write the bloody manual or it would probably be 2000 pages and impossible to follow - obviously requires a specific talent!)
optical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:52 AM   #93
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by optical View Post
Suggestion: how about having someone mark the specific locations of outdated material in the main version manual with pdf highlighter??
Go for it!
Old 07-08-2011, 10:32 AM   #94
optical

Quote:
Go for it!
Ha ha, I have trouble going for anything these days
optical is offline   Reply With Quote