Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 07-02-2015, 12:21 PM   #1
foxAsteria
Human being with feelings

Default Should a Virtual MIDI Cable Work like ReaRoute?

Trying another workaround to the ole feedback routing problem. I can't get this to work consistently, but shouldn't it?

Question: Should I be able to use a Virtual MIDI cable to route MIDI from track to track via MIDI Hardware Out? In other words, is there anything technically preventing me from using a Virtual MIDI cable from a MIDI Hardware Output on one track to a MIDI input on another track? In and out for the Virtual MIDI device are enabled in MIDI devices of course.

Secondary Question: Does MIDI Hardware Out transmit on all MIDI channels if set to "original channels" and the source has multiple channels?

I know I can use regular routing for this, but then I must record MIDI output instead of input.

Basically, I want to leave feedback routing off, send 16 channels of MIDI from a VSTi to 16 track inputs via Hardware Output on the VSTi track and a virtual MIDI cable, and make those 16 tracks sub-folders, so they all send their MIDI back to the plugin (or use internal routing). That's not technically a loop is it? I'm sending externally and receiving internally.

I don't get any MIDI on the inputs, so not sure if it's Reaper, or the Plugin (Maschine).

I had it working the other direction, so it seems possible (used harware out/virtual MIDI to send track MIDI back to Maschine).

The frustrating thing is that when signals get automatically disabled due to a possible feedback loop, there is no indication of that. Plus I have this compulsion to keep trying something that *should* work, even when it doesn't...Just looking to understand why, if that's the case.

Thanks.

Last edited by foxAsteria; 07-02-2015 at 04:25 PM.
foxAsteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 01:54 PM   #2
foxAsteria
Human being with feelings

As usual, I get to answer my own questions. The answer is yes, it should and it does.