Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 02-01-2015, 05:05 AM   #1
ZeroS1gnol
Human being with feelings

Default Looking for freeware tips: TB303, TR808 VST for Mac

Hi fellow users,

I recently started evaluating Reaper, Im liking it a lot! Before I only used Garageband (yeah, shame on me) for demoing purposes, but I wanted to use a good DAW for midi drum editing and while I'm at it for electronic music production. I have hit a brick wall though.

I found this very helpful post on freeware plugins:
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=52382
Only shortly after I realised many of the plugins (haven't checked them all) are Windows only! Bummer!

So for now, I'm specifically looking for good freeware TB-303 and TR-808 plugins for beat making (Techno). Any tips on useful synths or just anything else (instruments) would be very welcome!
ZeroS1gnol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 12:32 PM   #2
vdubreeze

Simplest thing to do would be to go to http://www.kvraudio.com/ and search their plugin database http://www.kvraudio.com/q.php entering format, kind of plugin, priced at free, etc. I've gone in and out of a few free TB303 and 808 simulations but really just to poke around. So I can tell you they're out there but can't recommend which are better. But as far as synths and virtual instruments go there are lots of useful free ones. I would say grab them all from kvr and go through the presets.

Symptom PE, FreeAlpha, Synth1 and Tyrell N6 seem to be the free synths I end up using. Even a mediocre synth can be made to sound good by pulling up multiple instances on several tracks with slight differences in the patches. Send them all to a stereo bus for ease of fitting in the mix with a single fader.
vdubreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 01:37 PM   #3
Banned

My 2 cents: stop looking, afaik there are none.

There is only 1 decent free TB-303 emulation, VB-303, and it's Windows-only.

There are a few good TB-303 and TR-808 emulations that run on OS X as well, but none of them are free. Check out AudioRealism and D16 Group.

The next best thing would be an extensive set of samples - but that simply won't cut it for real time adjustment of parameters.

Conclusion: I'd really recommend looking beyond 'free' plug-ins only if you're serious about this.

PS: also check out u-he's DIVA, imho easily the most versatile and best sounding VST for techno (and many other genres, too). With ABL2, ADM and DIVA, you have about 99% of all 'classic' techno sounds covered.
Old 02-04-2015, 02:30 PM   #4
ponk

Agree with Banned, the good stuff costs money. You might take a look at Sampletank Free, though - has a good electronic drum kit, bass synth, and lots of effects to change the sounds. Not TR, though.

And welcome to the forums!
ponk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 06:51 PM   #5
TimOBrien

There are also soundfonts and .wav sets all over the web you can import into a sampler vst.

Tx16wx.com is free and works fine on Mac.
Old 02-05-2015, 02:56 AM   #6
ZeroS1gnol

Thanks a lot for the replies!

I will certainly look into the recommendations. I have checked the Audiorealism and D16 plugins and these seem exactly what I need. Banned, you are right that I should not limit to freeware if I'm serious about this, but to be perfectly honest, I don't know if I am and am looking for alternatives to have a go at it and discover if want to get serious about it.

I'm not very keen on using samples (for now), I always felt that samples kind of not makes it 'my thing' if you know what I mean, feels less authentic from a creative point of view.
ZeroS1gnol is offline   Reply With Quote