Old 02-14-2015, 02:17 PM   #1
Catesby
Human being with feelings

Default deactivate AU?

hey folks is there any way to deactivate AudioUnits in reaper?
cheers
C
Catesby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 10:18 AM   #2
serr

What's the issue? Is there a misbehaving AU plugin that crashes the system just from being scanned?

Anyway, what I do to remove plugins from even loading but that I still want to keep for some reason is to simply move them to a different folder.

Try this:
In your plugin subdirectory with the folders for VST, Components (AU), MAS, etc, make folders named, for example, "Unused Components", "Unused VST", etc. Move the plugin you want to hide to the 'unused' folder.

Yes, AU (audio units) used to be called components. They still retain the .component extension.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 10:27 AM   #3
Catesby

thank u Serr for the reply. no misbehaving plugs. thought i mite be missing a button somewhere in reaper prefs. i just wanted to avoid having 2 of every plug showing up in the list in reaper.
(in Ableton or Studio1 u can deactivate AU, VST, etc. so figured is was possible in reaper)
but i don't wanna remove AUs from the system folder as i still use Logic for certain projects (unless logic can read them from else where but I'm not sure.)
cheers
Old 02-15-2015, 10:37 AM   #4
serr

You will inevitably run across 3rd party plugins where the VST version has a bug but the AU version works perfectly and vice verse. I'd keep both versions around unless there's a specific problem. Don't think of them as "2 copies of everything". They are all individual plugins.

And you can easily filter the plugin list for one flavor or the other.
Old 02-15-2015, 10:57 AM   #5
Catesby

there is the ability to add different VST folders why not AU aswel? that way if i did need to add a AU i put in in a folder and link to it in reaper prefs. but i have never had

what I'm asking is a simple procedure in lesser DAWs and being quite new to reaper I'm simply asking if any one knows if removing AUs from the reaper plug list is possible, and if not i would be tempted to request it as a feature.

in the grand scheme of things what I'm asking is pretty insignificant but i prefer using VSTs so its pointless to clutter up my plug list with useless AUs thats all.
if u know the answer then a simple yes or no will suffice, if not then your feedback is still insightfull and appreciated.
cheers
Old 02-15-2015, 11:07 AM   #6
serr

Right-click or ctrl-click on "My folders" in the left sidebar of the plugin insert dialog window. Click add folder. Name it as prompted. Drag and drop any plugins from the list (VST, AU, MAS, DLL, or whatever flavor) into your new folder.

You'll see a 'VST' folder (one of the defaults) there already that selecting will only show you VST plugins for example.

This works just like a Finder sidebar shortcut. It's an 'alias' and nothing is actually being moved in the file system.

FYI, you can of course add folders to your file system and for AU as well as VST (again note the AU folder is actually called "components"). Install plugins wherever you want and then go and point Reaper to the various locations to scan. You can also straight up delete plugins or anything else you choose. I'm suggesting the aliasing features are simpler than 'moving the mountain' as it were. Completely up to you.

Last edited by serr; 02-15-2015 at 11:23 AM.
Old 02-15-2015, 12:02 PM   #7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
You will inevitably run across 3rd party plugins where the VST version has a bug but the AU version works perfectly and vice verse. I'd keep both versions around unless there's a specific problem.
+1. I've seen a *lot* of examples of this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
Don't think of them as "2 copies of everything". They are all individual plugins.
Typically, yes, agreed.

But there are also quite a few cases where the *only* thing that's different is the file extension (Q: dear dev, do you have an AU version of your plug-in? A: just rename the extension and copy/move to "Components" folder.)

The host may still treat them differently, though. For example, REAPER fails to show newly installed AU plug-ins. So there is a bit of an argument to not install / remove some specific platform versions.

And fwiw, I typically prefer AU over VST2.x, though, as typically there's no hassle with 32 vs 64 bit versions, or multiple versions with different channel counts.

PS: I certainly wouldn't call Ableton Live or Studio1 "lesser DAWs" than REAPER - they all have their relative strengths and weaknesses.
Old 02-15-2015, 02:31 PM   #8
Catesby

u have a point about the "multiple versions with different channel counts" thing as with my fabfilter stuff but more of my plugs seem happier in reaper as a vst (e.g. xfer, izotope)

and ur rite that was very unfair to imply the other daws ar lesser but i have a history with them and I'm slightly bias i ges (no midi fx support, buggy, joke pdc...) but it all depends wat u use them for
cheers anyway folks