Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Old 04-12-2017, 07:50 AM   #41
karbomusic
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewjumpsoffbuildings View Post
This is not record armed tracks.
That's good.

Quote:
I dont need 30 GRs at once
That's good too.

Quote:
though as I said its not unlikely I will have 20 in some projects. Its just that I use GR often and its a good VST to test performance with.
30 instances of GR5 might be the equivalent of 150 randomly used/needed plugins. It's fine to find a processing ceiling with but I don't see it's instance count as a real-world indication of how many VSTs in general you can use. I think I would just do your normal project work and see how that goes unless that has already given you a problem.

Since Snooks and I have already tested with record arm on, we could probably see how many we can get running as playback only and report back just so you can compare. I still have my test project I think.

Also, and most importantly. Unless you have some super-tight, time-sensitive (to the ms) automation going on... when *not* record armed, you don't need 30ms buffer, it serves no purpose but to produce pops and clicks. Crank that buffer to it's higher/highest setting when not tracking.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:54 AM   #42
matthewjumpsoffbuildings

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
I think I would just do your normal project work and see how that goes unless that has already given you a problem.
Thats why Im here. Im simply using GR as a benchmarking tool since its used heavily in many projects, but the issue is that I often am getting crackles/pops when my realtime CPU is at around 50% or less sometimes, and my total CPU is only 25% or so

My decently powerful/expensive rack PC with a good quality PCIe sound card is not performing anywhere near what it should be.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:58 AM   #43
karbomusic

Quote:
Thats why Im here. Im simply using GR as a benchmarking tool since its used heavily in many projects, but the issue is that I often am getting crackles/pops when my realtime CPU is at around 50% or less sometimes, and my total CPU is only 25% or so

My decently powerful/expensive rack PC with a good quality PCIe sound card is not performing anywhere near what it should be.
Hmm... benchamarking isn't normal work. What happens if you just open a project of yours and start working? As I said way up ^there, expecting CPU to get to near 100% before you hear pops and clicks is a thing of the past, you can't use that as an indicator these days - it will drive you crazy.

There is some wiggle room for RTCPU not being 100% but that takes us back to both my and drumphil's question about how much of your CPU for reaper.exe is kernel vs user mode. I do think there may be some room for improvement in your system but it needs to be looked at more from a real project, real world perspective instead of trying to benchmark at 30 sample buffer.
Old 04-12-2017, 08:00 AM   #44
matthewjumpsoffbuildings

As I said the reason I am here is because I am often working on projects and my CPU is getting nowhere near taxed and yet Im getting crackles and pops.

"how much of your CPU for reaper.exe is kernel vs user mode." What is the difference? Im only aware of Real Time and Total CPU. Total CPU matches what I see in windows task manager, and real time is what Reaper performance monitor shows me.
Old 04-12-2017, 08:04 AM   #45
karbomusic

Quote:
As I said the reason I am here is because I am often working on projects and my CPU is getting nowhere near taxed and yet Im getting crackles and pops.

"how much of your CPU for reaper.exe is kernel vs user mode." What is the difference? Im only aware of Real Time and Total CPU. Total CPU matches what I see in windows task manager, and real time is what Reaper performance monitor shows me.
You have to use a tool called Process Explorer to see it. When any application runs it has code that runs up in 'user mode' and when it makes calls that need to go down to hardware it gets passed down low-level to the OS and those CPU cycles are used in 'kernel mode'. Where the majority of CPU cycles are being burned (user or kernel) is helpful because it tell us more about just where the CPU is being eaten - like servicing the soundcard or a wiggy video driver would show up in kernel - conversely some inefficient code in Reaper processing it's own data would show up in user CPU.

For process explorer, just double click reaper.exe in the list and look at cpu on the performance tab and send us a screenshot - green = user mode and red = kernel mode. Like the screenshots I posted above last week.

Last edited by karbomusic; 04-12-2017 at 08:09 AM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 08:05 AM   #46
matthewjumpsoffbuildings

ok thanks ill post those results ASAP
Old 04-12-2017, 08:24 AM   #47
matthewjumpsoffbuildings

Heres a screenshot. With the project I was running, I had some reverb on the master, and 29 instances of Guitar Rig playing the same prerecorded guitar track. The RT longest block size was consistently slightly over the maximum allowed time, and especially on seek/stop, there would be lots of crackling/popping
Old 04-12-2017, 08:25 AM   #48
shoyoninja

Hi sorry to insist on it. You reported that DPC lowered with the Nvidia drivers off.

How about the benchmark test? Does it solve the issue?
shoyoninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 08:43 AM   #49
karbomusic

Total kernel looks pretty good in that snapshot but can you click on the Performance Graph tab and post a shot of that just as a sanity check? Apologies for not designating that tab specifically.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:24 AM   #50
drumphil

Can I suggest running the DAW Bench test for reaper. It would be useful to know if the problems are specific to guitar rig, rather than the overall system load.

See how much load you can put on the system before you get crackles. If you can put much higher load on the system before you get problems than with guitar rig, then the basic working of your system is unlikely to be the problem.

At the moment we are assuming that guitar rig isn't the cause of the issues.

Regarding anticipative fx, part of the reason it is helpful is that it allows a buffer to smooth out the cpu load. What if a plugin only uses 30% cpu on average, but has cpu usage spikes that could interrupt the overall system?

Could it be that this is an issue with guitar rig?

How do things work with anticipative fx turned on, and the buffer size set to 64?

Also, are you using the 32bit version of guitar rig in reaper 32 bit, or the 64 bit plugin in 64 bit reaper? Using the 32 bit plugin in reaper 64 may not perform as expected.

It would also be worthwhile testing with the built in intel HD graphics rather than the 710.

Last edited by drumphil; 04-17-2017 at 09:31 PM.
drumphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 09:05 AM   #51
SEA

Hey Matthew! Did you ever solve your issues?

http://www.facebook.com/jamieseamusic
SEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 06:55 AM   #52
drumphil

Cricket cricket...
Old 05-29-2017, 10:57 AM   #53
SEA

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumphil View Post
Cricket cricket...
FREAL!!!

Maybe I'll PM him

Old 11-09-2017, 01:32 AM   #54
code012

Did anyone heard from him?
The similar problem is driving nuts:

Threadripper 1950x
RME HDSPe AIO

Not much CPU usage but I can't get lower than 7ms without crackling noise! And I'm talking just a single Kontakt instrument loaded. Result is same in Ableton Live too.

Can't believe I spent this much for 7ms latency
code012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 04:20 AM   #55
SEA

Quote:
Originally Posted by code012 View Post
Did anyone heard from him?
The similar problem is driving nuts:

Threadripper 1950x
RME HDSPe AIO

Not much CPU usage but I can't get lower than 7ms without crackling noise! And I'm talking just a single Kontakt instrument loaded. Result is same in Ableton Live too.

Can't believe I spent this much for 7ms latency
I just built a Dual Xeon that is 8 core each (16 threads) and runs at 3.3GHz, Turbos at 4.0 GHz, and I picked up the RayDat for more ADATS. At 96K I can get it down to about 64 Latency (if I don't have a lot heavy cpu VSts) but some of Falcon's presets still spike 1 core and bring my system to it's knees! Lonely Pad is one of them. If you hold your sustain pedal down and play like 15 notes or more and my system can shut down. So for synths like that I'll run at 256 latency when I'm ready to add some pads.

Old 11-09-2017, 04:24 AM   #56
drumphil

What sample rate and buffer size. What converters. What hardware specifications, and what operating system? What motherboard bios version? Is it up to date? Spinning rust or solid state storage?

All that stuff.