Old 07-21-2014, 01:48 PM   #1
Mercado_Negro

Default v4.72pre4 - July 21 2014

v4.72pre4 - July 21 2014
+ Project load: always prompt when loading a project that may have recently crashed on load
+ Project tabs: when prompting on startup, show more information on previous tabs
# MIDI editor: CC drawing optimization fix for captured CCs
# Media explorer: preview is routed through monitoring-FX again (as in 4.71)

v4.72pre3 - July 19 2014
+ OSX: possible fix for certain menu-related crashes [t=138909]
+ MIDI editor: click on ruler or arrange view follows main preference to seek playback
+ MIDI editor: fixed some mouse-click modifiers in the MIDI ruler [t=142926]

v4.72pre2 - July 18 2014
+ Track manager: improved 'Link TCP/mixer visibility' [issueid=5255]
+ Transport: avoid edits to be auto-committed in newly activated projects [issueid=5147]
+ Project load warnings give more details about missing features/plugin extensions
+ API: added file browser to generate the C++ API functions header anywhere, added option 'Write functions exported by 3rd party extensions'
# API/functions header generation: if defined, use system env. variables REAPER64_DIR and REAPER_DIR as default paths
# MIDI editor: improved performance when drawing multiple CCs in the asame lane at the same time
+ Custom Menus: avoid excessive regeneration of customized menus [t=138909]

v4.72pre1 - July 17 2014
+ MIDI editor: drawing performance improvements
+ Performance: 'remove time from project' avoids interrupting audio device
+ Performance: 'crop project to selection' avoids interrupting audio device
+ Media Explorer: preview is less interrupted by active project actions
+ Performance: unfreeze no longer blocks audio from other projects
+ Performance: reduced locking when pasting tracks
+ Performance: do not block audio threads when closing/reinitializing MIDI devices
+ Performance: dynamic split no longer interrupts audio
+ Performance: avoid requesting track redraws when threads are locked, defer to timer
+ Performance: reduced excessive locking in track envelope window

v4.71 - July 15 2014
+ Audio Units: Windows build properly maintain Audio Unit state
+ Audio Units: better display sorting in FX browser
+ Audio Units: better identification of plug-ins, handling of changing plug-in names
+ Media explorer: fixed intermittent seek behavior
+ Mouse modifiers: restored previous default behavior of mouse middle button click (move edit cursor ignoring snap) [t=142676]
+ UI: small optimizations to graphics performance
Old 07-21-2014, 03:15 PM   #2
ivansc
Human being with feelings

SO pleased to see that first item!

Assuming it works 100%.....

Had a few issues with GTRSolo vs GTR3.5 when I upgraded and ALL my old GTRSolo projects crashed/hung reaper trying to find the missing waves .dll reference!

Hopefully this will save me from future re-occurrences?
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 04:23 PM   #3
PitchSlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
v4.72pre4 - July 21 2014
+ Project load: always prompt when loading a project that may have recently crashed on load
# Media explorer: preview is routed through monitoring-FX again (as in 4.71)
FINALLY YES! I'm sure I'll having a crash soon so will be happy to test. I really hope this applies when opening ALL previously crashed projects, not just ones that crash on loading (description is a bit ambiguous). Ideally, I'd like Reaper to prompt to continue the crashed project on startup instead off needing to re-open the file manually.

I've been hoping for this for years and made comparisons with how almost every other DAW handles crash recovery, so press feel free to reference this thread if you haven't seen it:

Single Step Crash Recovery (see LICEcap)
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=61841
Single-Step Crash Recovery and User Definable # of Backup Files
http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=2957

Also, don't want to push my luck, but maybe backups could addressed in general? We really, really need the option to set the max number of backups per project and have Reaper overwrite the oldest (I just deleted another 20GB of .rpp-bak files yesterday)...

Also thanks for the Media Explorer fix. I preview reference tracks through the ME and compare my mix with a spectrum analyzer and was wondering why it no longer worked. I use ARC2 speaker/room correction too so hearing a corrected mix and a non-corrected reference made comparison pointless.

Last edited by PitchSlap; 07-21-2014 at 04:36 PM.
PitchSlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:04 PM   #4
nofish

If we were in FR forum I'd give my +1 to everything PitchSlap said.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:36 PM   #5
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
If we were in FR forum I'd give my +1 to everything PitchSlap said.
I see what you did there
Old 07-21-2014, 11:30 PM   #6
PitchSlap

Yeah, well. At least I try to make my request interjections relevant what's actually being worked on.

The way I see it, when the devs make an improvement/change to a part of the program, there are typically other related refinements in the same pre-release cycle so it's time to speak up.

I think it's pretty common they go to fix a bug with something new and add something related which might even take less time to code than to look for in the tracker.

I'm just saying, "Hey, while you're in that part of the codebase anyway..."

(Btw, I had a few crashes, but no dialog upon opening Reaper or the project. I guess it must be only crashes that occur while loading and not any other crashes. Oh well, I'm sure if I ever have one of those I'll be happy for this..)
Old 07-22-2014, 03:06 AM   #7
musicbynumbers

Great additions thanks.

I still occasionally get the project loading screen being hidden by the arrange page itself if I have reaper set to "full screen" in view settings (which is all the time).

A fix for that would be amazing as this also (on the occasions it happens) affects the warning pop ups too and you can be waiting for a big project to load and not notice for a while there's a missing audio pop up etc.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:50 AM   #8
nofish

Hey PitchSlap, I hope you don't take it too seriously what I wrote above, it was meant kinda funny. And also "hard to resist for me not to +1 these requests".
Old 07-22-2014, 04:19 AM   #9
PitchSlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
Hey PitchSlap, I hope you don't take it too seriously what I wrote above, it was meant kinda funny. And also "hard to resist for me not to +1 these requests".
Nope not at all. I've almost made a similar post myself a few times.

And yeah, +1 to what Musicbynumbers said, hate those crusty dialogs that hide behind the loading screen (looking at you Battery and EVP73)
Old 07-22-2014, 04:26 AM   #10
DarkStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitchSlap View Post
Yeah, well. At least I try to make my request interjections relevant what's actually being worked on.

The way I see it, when the devs make an improvement/change to a part of the program, there are typically other related refinements in the same pre-release cycle so it's time to speak up.

I think it's pretty common they go to fix a bug with something new and add something related which might even take less time to code than to look for in the tracker.

I'm just saying, "Hey, while you're in that part of the codebase anyway..."
That's a good plan to follow ... otherwise the "pre" threads can get overloaded with everyone's outstanding FRs.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:50 AM   #11
Subz

not a good time for a Groove Tool request?

LOL I'll get my coat!
Subz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:29 AM   #12
Joystick

Please if someone can remind me,

Is the Media explorer preview routed through a (selected) mixer track and then on the monitoring-FX or directly to the monitoring-FX?

It would be nice to be able to route the preview to a selected track (and inserted fx and auxiliary sends, etc) and all the rest of the chain/routing, as this can give an instant preview on how the asset would actually sound in the project.

Cheers!
Joystick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:17 AM   #13
plamuk

Quote:
It would be nice to be able to route the preview to a selected track (and inserted fx and auxiliary sends, etc) and all the rest of the chain/routing, as this can give an instant preview on how the asset would actually sound in the project.
yup. selected, or designated track. this would be the real feature. i'd have a media explorer track sitting in my default project specifically for this purpose.
plamuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:56 AM   #14
Argle

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitchSlap View Post
Also, don't want to push my luck, but maybe backups could addressed in general? We really, really need the option to set the max number of backups per project and have Reaper overwrite the oldest (I just deleted another 20GB of .rpp-bak files yesterday)...
+1. I would love to have multiple backups, but I have to restrict it to 1 because of the sprawling backup bloat.
Argle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:06 PM   #15
hopi

installed this pre and just noticed something I've not seen before:

I have dual monitors, and I open the midi editor in the second [right side] monitor... almost full screen.

when I then call up the actions list, its window is hidden behind the midi editor window [so you'd think it never came up, eh?]... and then if I try to add a script, the window for that is behind the Actions list window.

If my memory is correct, this is all reversed of how it used to be.

In other words, the Actions would always be above the editor window and the scripts above that... regardless of what monitor they were moved to.

...can others confirm or deny this behavior ???
Old 07-22-2014, 12:24 PM   #16
nofish

hopi, could it be that your MIDI editor is "pinned" ("always on top" pin enabled) ?

That's the only way I can make the action list open behind the ME here on my 2nd monitor.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:50 PM   #17
Anton9

Default Another WASAPI Issue

Justin,

In regards to my previous issue with the WASAPI driver.., thats no longer a big deal because it is only happening with Exclusive mode(polled) which I won't be using.

However I've notice that when I do any type of 'render to new take' (audio or MIDI) and I then play back the audio or even try to play a VST instrument, I am receiving that same degradation in the output for several seconds. This happens in Exclusive and Exclusive(polled) modes.

By the way this issue is not unique to this pre, every release since the updates to WASPI seems to be affected.

Thanks

Last edited by Anton9; 07-22-2014 at 03:56 PM.
Anton9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 05:09 PM   #18
hopi

no fish... thanks [blushing with dumbness] apparently that was the case, but it must have happened by accident from some stray misplaced clk... all is happy again... whew... thanks again.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:19 PM   #19
daxliniere

I was on 4.72pre3 when I saw this, but can't see any mention of something which would have fixed this in pre4

Visualisation of envelope points and crossfades is suddenly wobbly! (sometimes)
See below (you have to look carefully to see it)

daxliniere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:59 PM   #20
Mercado_Negro

Just noticed that tempo matched loops aren't looping correctly in Media Explorer IF the project is playing a loop ("start on bar" and "autoplay" are enabled) ... How many times did I say loop there?
Old 07-24-2014, 03:17 AM   #21
PitchSlap

Quote:
Just noticed that tempo matched loops aren't looping correctly in Media Explorer IF the project is playing a loop ("start on bar" and "autoplay" are enabled) ... How many times did I say loop there?
I've been having a lot of similar issues. The Media Explorer will often go slightly out of time when looping, not sure if it's the same problem, but it seems to have started occurring somewhat recently.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:46 AM   #22
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Can you confirm this works right in 4.71? Thanks
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 02:48 PM   #23
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Can you confirm this works right in 4.71? Thanks
It's broken in 4.71 as well. In fact, it's been broken for a while because I have some old installers here and even in 4.6 it's broken. Sorry, I hadn't used that feature for a long time and I thought it had to do with the lastest improvements in Media Explorer.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:51 AM   #24
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
I can't actually reproduce a problem... if I have a loop playing at 140 bpm, enable "autoplay" and "start on bar", then click on a 120 bpm audio file, it properly waits until the loop starts again, then plays back tempo-matched.

Would you mind giving some more specifics about the situation where it doesn't work properly?
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 09:10 AM   #25
jnif

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
I can't actually reproduce a problem... if I have a loop playing at 140 bpm, enable "autoplay" and "start on bar", then click on a 120 bpm audio file, it properly waits until the loop starts again, then plays back tempo-matched.

Would you mind giving some more specifics about the situation where it doesn't work properly?
Might be related to these old bugs that still exist in v4.71.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnif View Post
Some bugs in Media explorer. (These are old but I report them here because another Media explorer bug was fixed in this release.)

Insane tempo detection in some samples. The result is that file playback stops (time value still moving?) when "Tempo match" is on.

Audio playback stops randomly when "Tempo match" is on and "Start on bar" is enabled. See LICEcap at time 0:25.
Looks like tempo is not accurately synced to arrange view. Thus, sometimes Media explorer misses the start of bar and has to wait for the next bar.
I was able to reproduce the second bug easily when project tempo was set to 130 BPM. But I could not reproduce it when project tempo was set to 120 BPM.

There seems to be some clearly audible tempo syncing "hiccup" in the last loop played in Media explorer just before the bug (stopping playback for one bar) happens. Sounds like the second beat of the bar is late, or something. The groove of the loop is clearly different than in the normal working situation.

I have sent the example wav files to Cockos support.

jnif
jnif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 11:21 AM   #26
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnif View Post
Might be related to these old bugs that still exist in v4.71.

I was able to reproduce the second bug easily when project tempo was set to 130 BPM. But I could not reproduce it when project tempo was set to 120 BPM.

There seems to be some clearly audible tempo syncing "hiccup" in the last loop played in Media explorer just before the bug (stopping playback for one bar) happens. Sounds like the second beat of the bar is late, or something. The groove of the loop is clearly different than in the normal working situation.

I have sent the example wav files to Cockos support.

jnif
That's exactly what it is happening, thanks for confirming and showing the bug in those screen captures!