Old 07-24-2014, 03:34 AM   #1
huberkinky
Human being with feelings

Default How to make reverb on esses?

On many recordings are made reverbs and delays on very high frequencies, mainly esses...

Any idea or link how this is done?

TIA
huberkinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:03 AM   #2
Fergler

Most likely just that you only notice it there, but you can do this by setting up an EQ with a filter that only lets those sibilances through. Set it to 3/4 routing in the matrix and use that to control the reverb's Wetness through parameter modulation.
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:44 AM   #3
Colox

I see exagurrated decays of sibliance sounds as a sign of bad processing or bad reverb.
Of course, it can be a delibarate effect, like "It's mine, my own, my precioussssssssssssssssss..." :P but overly clear sibliance tails in normal songs sounds tacky to me.

I'm not invinting to a discussion. I'm just making a point, that just because it can be found on "many recordings" doesn't make it admirably. In my view it is much easier to get overly clear esses on reverbs than to dial make the esses decay in the same manner as the rest of the decay.

Last edited by Colox; 07-24-2014 at 07:51 AM.
Colox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:47 AM   #4
planetnine

If your reverb isn't sounding on sibilant sounds, then it might be that it has a high cut in its settings. If you can access its configuration, look for a high-cut or low pass filter. You will need to adjust this setting above the 5 to 8kHz range (where most sibilant endry us found) for the reverb to hear the "esses" and to generate reverberent sound for them.

For most "musical" sounds and aesthetic dialogue, etc, reverb on esses does not sound appropriate or "right", but of course for effects or creative uses (eg making something distinctive, disharmonious, to make a sound grate or a film audience uncomfortable), there are no rules.

Sweep your high-cut filter, listen, experiment, it's the best way to learn.

>
Old 08-23-2014, 02:02 AM   #5
huberkinky

Many thanks for your hints. Of course letting filter do the job is easy but you don't want nasty sound, rather below 3kH and sculpt that 7k. Will try some ideas presented here.

Many thanks... again I was not emailed that answers are made.

Thanks again!

This time I wil subscribe to the subject!
huberkinky is offline   Reply With Quote