Old 07-24-2014, 12:53 PM   #1
VocalsMan
Human being with feelings

Default PC to Mac

Hi,

I'm sure this has been asked 17,000 times before, but I can't go through every post and hundreds of replies to try and get to the solution.

I've been using REAPER for some 5+ years now and am pretty familiar with it and generally delighted with the results.

I am looking soon to move to a Mac and want to know if anyone has experience going from PC to Mac and any comments regarding REAPER on both OSs.

Is the Mac REAPER as good as the Windows version / are there any problems / is there anything I should be aware of?

Thanks for anyone who takes the time to help me out.

Rob
VocalsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 06:07 PM   #2
TimOBrien

No problems here.

You only lose the windows plugins that are pc-only.

(and on a madern Intel-chip'ed Mac you can install Windows and run win-Reaper and any windows plugin you want)
Old 07-24-2014, 06:34 PM   #3
VocalsMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimOBrien View Post
No problems here.
You have used both? I've read a number of (slightly) worrying reviews that say the Mac version of REAPER is much slower and slightly buggy. Not in your experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimOBrien View Post
(and on a madern Intel-chip'ed Mac you can install Windows and run win-Reaper and any windows plugin you want)
Correct - but the truth is I don't really want to go down that route - driver partition and dual-OS isn't my thing.

I've heard stunning reports about Logic, but am so attached to REAPER I really have no desire to switch.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:09 AM   #4
hermitcrab

Hi there,

I switched from pc to mac but i was not using reaper on pc. I am demoing reaper on mac. It seems ok to me but have a look at some of the threads here to get an idea of any issues people are/might be experiencing. Someone mentioned having mouse problems i think ? ( i have not tried a mouse yet ).

So far to me it seems fine. No issues with cpu load or bugs but i have not done any real projects yet. I can't compare it to pc version but i think i will manage cpu wise with my fairly weedy mid 2011 macbook air ( for my needs anyway ). It would stand to reason that Logic might be more efficient than reaper on a mac but then you have to have a more powerful/newer machine to upgrade to both mavericks (which i am told requires more power - and i'm not talking about the new feature that uses all ram for speed, just that it needs more of it ) and logic pro x.

I do wish they would fix ReInsert ( for hardware integration ) but that is a universal reaper problem not specific to mac and i am glad Reaper exists.

Cheers
hermitcrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 09:38 AM   #5
VocalsMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermitcrab View Post

So far to me it seems fine. No issues with cpu load or bugs but i have not done any real projects yet. I can't compare it to pc version but i think i will manage cpu wise
I think I'm going to give it a ggo - Macbook Pro arrives next week so I'll try out a few projects and see how it goes.

Total worst-case scenario I'll completely wipe my current Windows laptop and use that exclusively for DAW stuff, although that's not really what I want to do.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:34 AM   #6
hermitcrab

I wish i had a macbook pro coming next week ! ( he he )

If thats a new macbook i'm sure you will be more than fine with it.

Most of the commands seem the same or at least similar.

All the best.
hermitcrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 10:43 AM   #7
VocalsMan

I'll let you know after I've tried a couple of projects.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:27 AM   #8
nikoli

I currently use both Windows and Mac versions.

Lenovo laptop, Windows 7 32-bit.

Mac Mini, OSX Mavericks, all 64-bit.

Both work great. I don't have any problem going back and forth.
nikoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:44 AM   #9
EpicSounds

Just remember to export your config from reaper on your PC

Install Reaper on your mac then load the config. Relaunch and it will be home sweet home.

I have a couple articles on setting up a Mac for audio. Far less than PC but well worth a read.

http://audiogeekzine.com/2012/02/osx...ion-for-audio/

http://audiogeekzine.com/2013/04/30-...ser-shortcuts/

And as you're moving to a new system, its a great time to get your reaper project files organized
http://reaperblog.net/2013/07/reaper...le-management/