Old 02-21-2011, 07:28 PM   #1
plush2
Human being with feelings

Default v4.0alpha44 is up

v4.0alpha44 - February 21 2011
+ File converter: fixed file list flickerness during conversions (WinXP+)
+ MIDI editor: arpeggiate movement is based on number of selected notes, rather than note values
+ MIDI editor: user-definable submenus in the snap-to-scale dropdown list
+ MIDI editor: filter window checks to make sure it is onscreen
+ Splash screen: improved behavior relating to notification windows and other fixes
+ Video: fixed some RGB related bugs relating to flipped/rotated video
+ Video: fixed video follows edit of non-video items, improved accuracy in scrub
+ Video: fixes for rendering
+ Video: LCF seeking accuracy fix
+ Video: FFmpeg option in preferences is now to use FFmpeg after OS-decoding
plush2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:30 PM   #2
musicbynumbers

beat me to it!
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:35 PM   #3
AdamWathan

Alt+click to delete an item fade is still broken (since alpha18) and toolbar buttons for window visibility still do not display state properly on OSX SWS windows report their state to the toolbars correctly but not native windows.
AdamWathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:49 PM   #4
musicbynumbers

Default Little niggle bug: When video is "pinned", it hides reaper confirmation windows.

also, In the last alpha I didn't need the video window pinned but now if I touch the arrange page for things like moving an item the video window goes behind reaper itself (reaper is not set to always on top either or full screen mode)

This is on win7 64bit with reaper32 bit alpha 44
Old 02-21-2011, 07:52 PM   #5
bennisixx

Wanted to say great job on the MIDI editor. It's shaping up nicely.

Anyway to dock the filter dialog box?-say to the right of the editor, mirroring the keys? It's always in the way.

again, a million thank yous.
bennisixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:56 PM   #6
gwok

Quote:
Originally Posted by plush2 View Post
v4.0alpha44 - February 21 2011

+ Splash screen: improved behavior relating to notification windows and other fixes
nice.....

still hoping to see preview source in media explorer and two way mirroring work properly
gwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:03 PM   #7
musicbynumbers

Default This video wont play anymore but use to in version 3

I haven't updated ffmpeg for a few months though could be that..

Length: 2:18.159
Video: 1920x1080@25.00fps, Aspect=1.00, Decoding format=YV12

Using FFmpeg DLL decoder v52.61.0 (--enable-shared --disable-static --enable-memalign-hack --cross-prefix=i686-mingw32- --cc=ccache-i686-mingw32-gcc --arch=i686 --target-os=mingw32 --enable-runtime-cpudetect --enable-avisynth --enable-gpl --enable-version3 --enable-bzlib --enable-libgsm --enable-libfaad --enable-pthreads --enable-libvorbis --enable-libtheora --enable-libspeex --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopenjpeg --enable-libxvid --enable-libschroedinger --enable-libx264 --enable-libopencore_amrwb --enable-libopencore_amrnb)
Video: cinepak, yuv420p, 1920x1080
Old 02-21-2011, 08:13 PM   #8
mikeroephonics

+ MIDI editor: filter window checks to make sure it is onscreen

Thanks for this, Schwa...or whomever
Old 02-21-2011, 08:17 PM   #9
musicbynumbers

Default inline midi editor: cannot see painted notes till releasing mouse.

as title says
Old 02-21-2011, 08:19 PM   #10
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennisixx View Post
Anyway to dock the filter dialog box?-say to the right of the editor, mirroring the keys? It's always in the way.
Yes! Definitely needed!
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:30 PM   #11
musicbynumbers

Default Filter window: when opening lots of midi items at once, filter goes off screen

I have multiple monitors below my main one and when opening lots of midi items I get one long continuous list with no scroll bar (if one is meant to be there?)

Looks cool though! just not practical
Old 02-21-2011, 08:31 PM   #12
airon

Will test video functions in the morning.

Thanks for fixing the video-follows-edits stuff. Highly appreciated.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:32 PM   #13
musicbynumbers

Default FR: scales.. Option to auto change key to key of first note painted

Reposting this as I think it would be very useful

Don't know if this has been mentioned yet (not read through it all) but surely a mega useful feature would be to have an additional tick bock next to scale for "auto detect key" and all this would do is auto change/define the key simply by detecting what note the first note you draw is on.

This would be so powerful (unless I'm not thinking it through)?) and would allow to change key very easily.

so..

step 1, tick "auto" box

step 2, use pencil modifier to draw first note (and keep it held)

step 3, drag your notes (they will now be in the key of the first drawn note)

step 4, let go of mouse button and go to another note, repeat step 1 for "good times by all"-Explain the folder section and how to create dedicated folder
Old 02-21-2011, 08:33 PM   #14
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
Will test video functions in the morning.

Thanks for fixing the video-follows-edits stuff. Highly appreciated.
Indeed here too, have a 5.1 one film to start mixing this week and going to dive in on the alpha (as no one will be behind me watching if it crashes!)
Old 02-21-2011, 08:36 PM   #15
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
+ Video: FFmpeg option in preferences is now to use FFmpeg after OS-decoding
This is really smart, thank you very mucho. I just tried a couple of short previews I've been working with and it seems to play fine since I have the K-Lite codecs pack installed (64-bits complements). I'll report again if I find issues during the week.

Thanks again!
Old 02-21-2011, 08:41 PM   #16
musicbynumbers

Default Project bay: can no longer use fx bay to open up fx via usage button

Still can't open up effects directly from the bay (win 7 64bit with reaper 32bit)

(oh and.. did I ever mention the solo button is missing?)
Old 02-21-2011, 09:02 PM   #17
musicbynumbers

Default Last bug for tonight! ;)

Below is info BUT If you watch the whole vid there is one more BUG that I didn't mention,

1-every time I try to move an item into or out of a fader "retain" comes on automatically.

2-deleted folder comes back on moving an item into other folder

..and..

3-no way to pull items from folder if all items are foldered

Old 02-21-2011, 09:06 PM   #18
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
This is really smart, thank you very mucho. I just tried a couple of short previews I've been working with and it seems to play fine since I have the K-Lite codecs pack installed (64-bits complements). I'll report again if I find issues during the week.

Thanks again!
Let me get this straight

we can use other codecs now other than ffmpeg or the basic ones?
Old 02-21-2011, 09:13 PM   #19
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamWathan View Post
Alt+click to delete an item fade is still broken (since alpha18)
Is it? The default behavior for alt-drag on fades was changed at some point for symmetry with the other behaviors, if I change the behavior to "delete fade/crossfade" it seems to work as expected.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:22 PM   #20
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
Let me get this straight

we can use other codecs now other than ffmpeg or the basic ones?
You can use your OS codecs now, yep. K-lite is a good option for a wide palette of codecs. It seems to play fine now
Old 02-21-2011, 09:23 PM   #21
mikeroephonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
I have multiple monitors below my main one and when opening lots of midi items I get one long continuous list with no scroll bar (if one is meant to be there?)

Looks cool though! just not practical
There is no scrollbar in the Filer Events box. It would be great if the Filter Events box had:

1.) Scrollbars (both vertical and horizontal)
i. Long Track/Media Item names get cut off currently (horizontal scroll would fix this.)
ii. If you have lots of MIDI events in the Filter Events box, the bottom portion of the list gets cut off (a vertical scrollbar would fix this.)

2.) Resizable Filter box window size via bottom-right corner (like any standard Windows.) For a floating Filter box, this would solve the horizontal issues mentioned above

3.) Dockable (to the right, opposite the piano keys by default) with a vertical divider to adjust how much of the Filter is viewable. The bar would work just like the TCP/Arrange area vertical bar. I can't see this being too useful docked on the top or bottom of the MIDI Editor, since a top-to-bottom list seems most efficient. To the right feels best to me.

4.) Filter 'Rec-Arm', 'Mute' & 'Solo' buttons linked to the corresponding *Track* controls.
i. Rec-Arm button: Arms the corresponding Track Rec-Arm on the TCP/MCPs. I think it should work both ways. Arm one of the following: TCP, MCP Rec-Arm button on Filter box, and all others mirror the state of the one you click.
i.e. - Arm Filter box Rec-Arm button...TCP & MCP follow.
ii. I think the best way to handle Filter Events box mute & solo (if it ever does get implemented...crosses fingers!) is to make them link directly to the *Track*, not the Media Item, as described above for Rec-Arming.

5.) An additional "locked/unlocked" box immediately to the right of the show/hide button. Click it to lock all MIDI events on that Media Item from edits. Think of it as preventative health for you MIDI tracks.

6.) Multiple MIDI Media Item selection
i. Done via Ctrl+Leftclick on multiple colored boxes. <= Just like on Track selection.
ii. Shift+Leftclick would select a range. <= Just like on Track selection.
iii. You'd end up with a white "X" over any box you clicked while holding Ctrl/Shift.
iv. This should: Resize, move left/right. transpose, stretch, delete, copy, cut, paste any events selected in the Filter, denoted by multiple 'X's".

Did I miss anything, ED? lol
Old 02-21-2011, 09:26 PM   #22
bennisixx

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeroephonics View Post
There is no scrollbar in the Filer Events box. It would be great if the Filter Events box had:

i. Long Track/Media Item names get cut off currently (horizontal scroll would fix this.)
ii. If you have lots of MIDI events in the Filter Events box, the bottom portion of the list gets cut off (a vertical scrollbar would fix this.)

2.) Resizable Filter box window size via bottom-right corner (like any standard Windows.) For a floating Filter box, this would solve the horizontal issues mentioned above

3.) Dockable (to the right, opposite the piano keys by default) with a vertical divider to adjust how much of the Filter is viewable. The bar would work just like the TCP/Arrange area vertical bar. I can't see this being too useful docked on the top or bottom of the MIDI Editor, since a top-to-bottom list seems most efficient. To the right feels best to me.

4.) Filter 'Rec-Arm', 'Mute' & 'Solo' buttons linked to the corresponding *Track* controls.
i. Rec-Arm button: Arms the corresponding Track Rec-Arm on the TCP/MCPs. I think it should work both ways. Arm one of the following: TCP, MCP Rec-Arm button on Filter box, and all others mirror the state of the one you click.
ii. I think the best way to handle Filter Events box mute & solo (if it ever does get implemented...crosses fingers!) is to make them link directly to the *Track*, not the Media Item, as described above for Rec-Arming.

5.) An additional "locked/unlocked" box immediately to the right of the show/hide button. Click it to lock all MIDI events on that Media Item from edits. Think of it as preventative health for you MIDI tracks.

i. Done via Ctrl+Leftclick on multiple colored boxes. <= Just like on Track selection.
iii. You'd end up with a white "X" over any box you clicked while holding Ctrl/Shift.
grin ...
bennisixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:45 PM   #23
jpettit

Default My video testing for a44 64 bit Reaper on 64 bit W7

Made selection to use OS decoder first (however my previous tests on a43 all said they were using Direct Show anyway)

The good news MOV's now play well on a44.

The bad news:
WMV files that use to load but not play on a43 now hang on load in a44.
Started to see hangs while closing and loading old and new projects. Nasty hangs could not kill threads easily (> 5 mins) ultimately had to resort to reboots. Really slows testing down and burns you out.
Tried with and without new decoder setting with same results.

Format: Bit rate: Frame rate: Size: Audio: Comments:
H.264 3.0 Mbps 29.97 1920 X 1080P 48 KHz 2:45 Mp4 Plays and interacts well.
AVI 3.0 Mbps 60 1680 X 1080P 48 KHz :25 AVI Various results from OK to Jerky playback
MOV Video: 1080x720@29.89fps, Aspect=1.00, Decoding format=YUY2 Using DirectShow decoder works great
WMV 4.5 Mbps 29 720x 480 48 KHz 2:00 WMV file that use to load but not play a43 now hang on during building of peaks in a44. All WMV files of any format died upon loading
AVCHD 3.0 Mbps 29.97 1920 X 1080P 48 KHz 2:45 Mts ERROR will not import ( even though they play find on OS DirectShow Windows Media or other players on my system)
jpettit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:53 PM   #24
jpettit

Quote:

iv. This should: Resize, move left/right. transpose, stretch, delete, copy, cut, paste any events selected in the Filter, denoted by multiple 'X's".

Yes! or put another way maybe the original intent for the filter window has change so much now why not build it into the MIDI editor window add S/M per track an oh yes allow us to scrub all un muted MIDI tracks. FR http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=3261
Old 02-21-2011, 10:31 PM   #25
PitchSlap

Quote:
+ Video:
FLV files don't show up in the Media Explorer and can't be imported through drag and drop, but if renamed to .AVI they can.

Since this is probably the most common video format in the world (YouTube etc.), it would be nice if they could be supported...
Old 02-21-2011, 10:36 PM   #26
mikeroephonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpettit View Post
Yes! or put another way maybe the original intent for the filter window has change so much now why not build it into the MIDI editor window add S/M per track an oh yes allow us to scrub all un muted MIDI tracks. FR http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=3261
Good thinking!

In my opinion:
MIDI Scrub should play ALL *visible* MIDI events that are solo'ed.
I think an additional option to scrub all MIDI events, regardless of visibility in the MIDI Editor would be helpful. Maybe keep it in Preferences? A checkbox within the MIDI Editor for this would also be good, for fast scrub preference switching.

MIDI Scrub should *not* play muted MIDI events (both muted on the Track as well as muted notes.)
Old 02-21-2011, 10:38 PM   #27
bradleyfilms

Cool tip PitchSlap, cheers
Steve
Old 02-21-2011, 11:02 PM   #28
jpettit

Quote:
Good thinking!

In my opinion:
MIDI Scrub should play ALL *visible* MIDI events that are solo'ed.
I think an additional option to scrub all MIDI events, regardless of visibility in the MIDI Editor would be helpful. Maybe keep it in Preferences? A checkbox within the MIDI Editor for this would also be good, for fast scrub preference switching.

MIDI Scrub should *not* play muted MIDI events (both muted on the Track as well as muted notes.)
Agree
Old 02-21-2011, 11:44 PM   #29
mikeroephonics

This epitomizes my thoughts on the Filter Events box:

Stravinsky's The Rite of Spring - performed by Jay Bacal w/ VSL - Part 1 of 4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PB3njyDW8SY

Very MIDI-intensive project using Vienna Symphonic Library.
Note the filter box on the right. Want to transpose the entire piece up a semitone in REAPER? See you in a few hours...hehe

Last edited by mikeroephonics; 02-22-2011 at 01:42 AM.
mikeroephonics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:52 AM   #30
Dstruct

Quote:
+ Video: fixes for rendering
Still crashing here.

http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=3246
Dstruct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:57 AM   #31
Eyes

Quote:

Sounds good to me.
Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:45 AM   #32
EvilDragon

Quote:

No, you did not miss anything. These would be welcome additions.

Perhaps just Alt+clicking the colored box would allow us to change the item color...
Old 02-22-2011, 02:59 AM   #33
gofer
-blänk-

You didn't ask me, but I miss a thing which I find important :

Separate "hide from Piano Roll" from "collapse item boxes". Right now collapsing in the filter list is hiding all the track's items from the Piano Roll.

I'd prefer to have just the track boxes in the filter list (don't see any individual items in that list) and still have them shown in the Piano Roll. Hiding complete tracks should be done by right click the track's box (like it's done with individual items).
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:59 AM   #34
Subz

Quote:
It would be great if the Filter Events box had:

The Dream
Subz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:02 AM   #35
Xasman

+ MIDI editor: user-definable submenus in the snap-to-scale dropdown list

Many thanks for this!
Xasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:09 AM   #36
bob

Quote:
This epitomizes my thoughts on the Filter Events box:

Stravinsky's The Rite of Spring - performed by Jay Bacal w/ VSL - Part 1 of 4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PB3njyDW8SY

Very MIDI-intensive project using Vienna Symphonic Library.
Note the filter box on the right. Want to transpose the entire piece up a semitone in REAPER? See you in a few hours...hehe

that was amazing
Old 02-22-2011, 03:19 AM   #37
Astro

Default Filter

This does not contain everything that a docked Midi filter could, but here is a rough version of what it could be like.
Personally if the filter was like this..it would make a huge difference I feel.
https://stash.reaper.fm/7993/Filter1-Sc.jpg

Last edited by Astro; 02-22-2011 at 04:20 AM.
Astro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:20 AM   #38
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
Separate "hide from Piano Roll" from "collapse item boxes". Right now collapsing in the filter list is hiding all the track's items from the Piano Roll.

I'd prefer to have just the track boxes in the filter list (don't see any individual items in that list) and still have them shown in the Piano Roll. Hiding complete tracks should be done by right click the track's box (like it's done with individual items).
Good points, I agree!
Old 02-22-2011, 03:20 AM   #39
Evgeny Bardyuzha

ahh...still no reaparts (or smthng like this)(((
Evgeny Bardyuzha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:24 AM   #40
Janne83

Default Grid/Notes checkboxes disappearing

Grid/Notes boxes are still disappearing when opening different Midi items in the same midi editor.

OS X 32bit REaper

J