Old 08-31-2013, 11:37 AM   #1
JakeTheDrake
Human being with feelings

Default Going Crazy With Vocals... HELP

Hi All,

After using Reaper for only a little while now, I have run into a problem that has got me tearing out large handfulls of hair!

In a project that has multiple tracks (eg drums on one track, rhythm on another, stabs/effects on another) I add an additional track with the intention of recording vocals into it while having the other tracks play back - so I'll be singing along to the existing tracks and Reaper will (via a microphone plugged in to my laptop) record my voice on a track of its own.

That's the theory - sounds simple enough BUT...

When I hit record, the other tracks play and my voice is recorded, but the sound from the other tracks is also recorded into the voice track AARRGGHH!

I have only the voice track armed, I am listening to the other tracks via headphones so there is no atmospheric bleed from my laptop speakers, and I am recording my vocals via a mic plugged into my soundcard.

My soundcard is a simple, inbuilt Realtek Audio device as supplied OEM in the laptop. I am also using ASIO drivers under WinXP

I suspect it could be an issue with routing, but I simply cannot make head or tail of the routing stuff. I have RTFM and have also bought a book from Amazon on Reaper, but this is driving me NUTS as I keep banging my head against the wall

If ANYONE out there knows what the problem is and has a possible solution - do reply. This is probably just a simple schoolboy error on my part, but its fundamentally stopping me in my tracks (excuse the pun)
Thanks
JakeTheDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:48 AM   #2
jacobestes

I don't have a complete answer for you but it's an issue with your laptop's sound device and its monitoring. Find the settings for it, or if ASIO4ALL has settings (I don't remember) to see if you can fix it there.

I do not believe it is a problem within Reaper, but an issue with the way audio is routed with ASIO4ALL and your sound device. Sorry I don't have the answer, but I believe it's close.

Last edited by jacobestes; 08-31-2013 at 08:08 PM.
jacobestes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 02:53 PM   #3
metal_priest

probably you're recording from your internal soundcard and not from the mic.
check your reaper preferencies and be sure you have the mic drivers as input. If the mic doesnt have it's own driverm download the Asio4all and set the mic as only input.
Be sure, in the end, that on you vocal track you have the correct input channel selected.

try to post a screenshot of your reaper I/O configuration so we can be more precise
metal_priest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:53 AM   #4
buggyboy

Go to Preferences-> Audio -> Device

Go to input and select the Mic.

If Mic not there go to Asio4All settings (click ASIO configuration) there click on the wrench in the right.

Then click on the + (expand) at the Realtek High def audio

Click the on button at Audio Mic Input.

Repeat what I said in the beginning (select something else and then you need to reselect the Asio to refresh the new inputs)

Done.
buggyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:50 AM   #5
JakeTheDrake

Default Still Going Insane with this :-(

Hey
Thanks for the responses so far -

Have looked at it a bit closer, got the asio drivers etc but still the problem remains -

It seems that if I mute all other tracks, I can record just my voice onto a track of its own. But - if I unmute any other track while recording, then the vocal track picks up both my voice AND the other track.

Somebody posted (above) that I might be recording thru my soundcard? That seems to make sense, but the routing and knowing what exactly is going where is driving me feckin mad.

The only input options I see in asio and reaper are [Realtek Input1] and [Realtek Input2] As there is only one mic socket, I must assume that the input is stereo 1 = L 2 = R

The only output options I see in asio and reaper are [Realtek Output1 (L)], [Realtek Output2(R)] and [Realtek Output 1/2 (Stereo)]

Honestly - I need some help from someone who can spare the time to get me thru this as its brought me completely to a standstill and has nearly resulted in my laptop being hit repeatedly with a big hammer.

I can IM or chat or whatever, but would really appreciate someone helping me out with this one final hurdle
Thanks
Old 12-11-2013, 11:07 AM   #6
rothchild

Odds on there's a setting on your soundcard somewhere called something like 'what you hear' (as in 'record what you hear') which is routing the output of Reaper back round to the input(s). Turn it off and you should be good to go.
rothchild is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 02:14 PM   #7
JakeTheDrake

Default Still Going Insane with this :-(

Hey
Thanks for the reply;

Thats exactly what seems to be happening;

So I created a new project in case i'd messed my other one up
I inserted a track and put nothing in it
then inserted another track mapped to a media file and when I pressed play on transport, the vu on the empty track, which was mapped to audioinput1 (mic) was showing movement..

Its just really pissing me right off now - please some further tech guidance from someone in the know
Old 12-11-2013, 04:09 PM   #8
nolman

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...4111548AADOpUB

the settings you have to change are in de driver software for you onboard soundcard.
Make sure the "in" is in fact only your mic, and not a stereomix ,line in, or or a mixture

does this help?
nolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 02:01 PM   #9
JakeTheDrake

Default EUREKA!

Hi

Firstly let me say a big thanks for the help provided so far guys - MUCH appreciated :-)

Problem Solved!!!!

The problem was this - my soundcard settings (via ControlPanel->Sounds->Sounds&AudioDevices) were incorrect as follows;

On the section that allows control of inputs, StereoMixer was checked. When I drilled into the Volume settings for recording devices, StereoMixer was enabled and its volume was set at midway point.

I simply muted StereoMixer under input devices and holy-freeking-sheets no more problem

Hope this helps anyone else with similar issues