Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 03-03-2015, 03:26 PM   #1
psingman
Human being with feelings

Default Hooking up Tascam MKii to mixer and then to computer and back?

Hi, almost got this ironed out, just need a bit more of your help accomplishing this for monitoring. First, I can monitor fairly well, using the headphones out on the Tascam while listening to the other recorded tracks, but this is what I am trying to setup for direct monitoring using the Tascam mixer's headphone out and surely the stereo outs.

On my mixer, the Tascam M-164FX there are subouts, so I connected them to the input on the MKii usb interface. Then I ran the outputs of the MKii to a pair of inputs on the back of the mixer using channels 11-12, because they have RCA inputs and the one from the MKii is rca also. Spoon, a forumite here, said that this was the way to do it for most interfaces. However, the recorded tracks do bleed into the one I am trying to record this way, and if I turn it down, I can't hear them at all..though the track does get a decent recording but I want to monitor the whole thing.

On my studio setup in the cellar, I have to hit input monitoring switch to listen and record all the time. It looks like I have finally bypassed that barrier as I can always hear what I am recording so far, which, by the way is neat, so a better mixer lets me do this.

So, now I need your assistance...how do I use the mixer and usb interface to monitor everything with both the headphones out on the mixer and the stereo line outs? Please help me with this, as I want to get on to recording another CD with these units. Thanks for listening and assisting, psingman
psingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 04:45 PM   #2
psingman
Human being with feelings

Well, no replies, guess noone uses a mixer with a usb interface from my observations. I did figure out that the outs from the Tascam MKii don't go back to the mixers, seems that doesn't work right. So, you just send them to powered speakers or an amp or receiver with speakers so you can monitor tracks besides headphones.

I have read a lot of places on the Net where you bring the outputs into, for example channels 13-14 on my mixer, but it does bring in the already recorded tracks no matter what scenario, I try. I surmise that the input and computer knob is for this purpose, so will use it accordingly.

If you know of any other possible routings that would work with sub outs or alt 3/4 like in Mackies, please chime in, thanks, psingman
psingman is offline   Reply With Quote