COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :

Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Other Software Discussion > WDL users forum

Old 02-02-2017, 12:15 PM   #1
Caiminatrix
Human being with feelings

Default Test plug-in without rebooting host software?

Is there a way to start a new debug session after updating and rebuilding the plug-in without closing and opening the host every time?

It would be nice if I could keep Reaper open because it takes a few seconds to load.

Last edited by Caiminatrix; 02-07-2017 at 04:47 PM.
Caiminatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 06:11 PM   #2
Bobflip

I've been using Ableton Lite to test, and removing the plugin from the project has let me compile a new build without needing to close the host.

Well... until just now, that is! But it has definitely been working for the past few weeks. Think I need to take a look at the destructor.

Last edited by Bobflip; 02-06-2017 at 06:41 PM.
Bobflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 10:16 PM   #3
Bobflip

Ok, I've been testing further, and if I compile and load an example plugin into Ableton and then remove it, I'm able to delete it from Explorer, meaning the compiler is able to overwrite it with a new build, so you should be ok if you've got Live Lite available to you and aren't averse to using that instead for testing.

My own plugin is seemingly held by Ableton after it's been removed from the project. No idea what's caused it, but even wiping and reinstalling Ableton and completely restarting my project with a blank template from duplicate.py with the same name doesn't fix it! Seemed to happen after a few crashes, so wondering if there's some crash protection keeping watch on it now... very bizarre.
Bobflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 11:44 PM   #4
Tale

On Windows I use REAPER for testing, which has the option to unload VST DLLs. If I want to do things really efficient I then freeze the track on which the plug-in is loaded, which will unload it. Then I rebuild, and unfreeze to reload it.
Tale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 11:26 AM   #5
bozmillar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tale View Post
On Windows I use REAPER for testing, which has the option to unload VST DLLs. If I want to do things really efficient I then freeze the track on which the plug-in is loaded, which will unload it. Then I rebuild, and unfreeze to reload it.
This is what I have found to be the quickest way. Unload the plugin, compile the plugin, re-open the plugin and it's updated.