Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 12-28-2013, 02:39 PM   #241
airon
Human being with feelings

A good idea that you may want to post in the Issue Tracker as a feature request. The devs will see it there, but they rarely catch stuff we discuss here, and mainly start looking in the issue tracker.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:44 AM   #242
Joystick

Quote:
Originally Posted by plush2 View Post
I share this opinion and it's nice to see it put succinctly. I think I had some scuffles over this matter in a discussion regarding a hard coded reasurround track panner. I don't care if things get simpler as long as they don't lose functionality. So much of the workflow in our business runs around the big rock in the middle of the river called PT.
Encapsulation of features should work this thing out, if I'm using the term correctly. Maybe having a simpler way of working and also an advanced method if needed.

I tend to use Reaper far easier for surround work and don't really understand why PT is better in any way except from being some kind of "garage band" for surround production. But if you try to do something a little more advanced and PT just don't let you do it.

I prefer the abstract way Reaper deals with data handling in general.
Joystick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 10:20 AM   #243
soundhound

Default Sync Marker Inside Track Item

Hi,

I'd really like to see a feature which is in ProTools whereby you can place a marker _inside_ a take at any point, and then use that point as a marker to place at a particular point in the NUDGE menu. For instance, say there is a solo somewhere in a take, and I want to place the start of that solo at where the cusor is so that it syncs up with some other event on another track.

Having the option to place a marker within a take would allow this which is frequently used in post production film sound.
soundhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:29 PM   #244
analogexplosions

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundhound View Post
Hi,

I'd really like to see a feature which is in ProTools whereby you can place a marker _inside_ a take at any point, and then use that point as a marker to place at a particular point in the NUDGE menu. For instance, say there is a solo somewhere in a take, and I want to place the start of that solo at where the cusor is so that it syncs up with some other event on another track.

Having the option to place a marker within a take would allow this which is frequently used in post production film sound.
Welcome to the forums!

Are you referring to Pro Tools's Sync Points? (I think the key command is Command/CRTL-,)

If so, go to any Audio Item and hover over the bottom left of the Item. The tool changes to the sync point tool and you can drag the sync point to anywhere on that item. Super useful and I use it daily.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:13 PM   #245
airon

I place sync points, which are called SNAP OFFSET in Reaper, in two ways.

By placing the edit cursor at a specific point in the item, which at the same time also selects it.

Then I run the action "Item: Set snap offset to cursor".

The nice thing in Reaper is, you can set the cursor position in many ways. The MIDDLE MOUSE BUTTON click sets the cursor without changing the item selection by default, so you can finetune your position without affecting the item selection in any way.

Keep in mind that you can select items with the marquee, which is RIGHT MOUSE BUTTON + DRAG.

The second method I use utilizes mouse-over actions. This custom action, which you can make in the Action List (Actions menu at the top / Action List "?"-default shortcut) is composed of these three actions:

"View: Move edit cursor to mouse cursor (no snapping)"
"Item: Select item under mouse cursor"
"Item: Set snap offset to cursor"

Bind this custom action to a key on your keyboard, and set the keyboard repeat rate high, and you can just hold that button down and you'll be placing that SNAP OFFSET marker as you move your mouse over an item. Great two-hand action that's fast and fluid.

Hope that helps.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:37 AM   #246
ValeryOrloff

Default Media database in MediaExplorer!

Reorder, put space in shortcuts, Search in shortcuts not only by the first letter (speed dial), sort(view filter) by file types, add color and icons. Embed preset library to Media Database....
ValeryOrloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 04:14 AM   #247
Devotio

This is a big ask, but maybe in the future a red-book compatible cd burning feature?
Devotio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 03:39 PM   #248
treef

Default MMC & video frames

hi, I would also highly welcome proper video frames and MMC master & slave capability, thanks
treef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 07:41 PM   #249
plush2

Quote:
Originally Posted by treef View Post
hi, I would also highly welcome proper video frames and MMC master & slave capability, thanks
I understand MMC and agree but what do you mean by proper video frames? Do you mean thumbnails? Feet and Frames?
plush2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 12:33 AM   #250
airon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devotio View Post
This is a big ask, but maybe in the future a red-book compatible cd burning feature?
It can produce CD images, and burn them right from the Render window. I've never used that feature myself but it's said to work fine.

Of course there's a lot of stuff out there that can burn CD images, and Reaper can produce not just CUE/BIN images but DDP images for CD production as well. How to do it all is probably in the manual and definitely in this forum. A Google search of the forum is the best way. site:forum.cockos.com and your search terms.

Last edited by airon; 05-06-2014 at 12:43 AM.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:53 AM   #251
geoffroy

Reaper can do DDP images (see doc), the only thing lacking IMO is being in a mode where you can be in a mode where the cursor snapes to CD "frames" (like in Samplitude) to know exactly where the markers will be in the final CD.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:56 AM   #252
plush2

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffroy View Post
Reaper can do DDP images (see doc), the only thing lacking IMO is being in a mode where you can be in a mode where the cursor snapes to CD "frames" (like in Samplitude) to know exactly where the markers will be in the final CD.
What needs to be added to setting the project to 75 fps, setting grid to 'frames' and turning on snap? In a simple test any cursor placement I did using the mouse or dragging resulted in a perfect snap to the frame. Is there a corner case or an additional function where this does not work?
Old 05-06-2014, 12:46 PM   #253
geoffroy

I don't know ! I didn't know that FPS for CD was 75. thanks !!
Old 05-06-2014, 02:05 PM   #254
airon

If you ever move stuff around, as I do, make sure you have the status of RIPPLE edit, SNAP and GRID in view.

Also, relative grid is a good thing to keep activated, so nothing gets shifted around by bits of a frame when SNAP and GRID are on. It's bloody infuriating when all your work has to be corrected by tiny amounts again.
Old 05-06-2014, 02:56 PM   #255
plush2

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffroy View Post
I don't know ! I didn't know that FPS for CD was 75. thanks !!
He he, then that should be the feature request, perhaps some text to describe the main use of some of the more common frame-rates. CD, NTSC, PAL, Film etc.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:34 AM   #256
BogdanS

Default regions again

1. create region from group of items
2. in render menu add possibility silence at start and in the end of file in milliseconds
BogdanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 11:08 PM   #257
Ice

Default Conformable timeline

I'm still quite new to Reaper, so forgive me if this is already a feature. I haven't come across a way to do what is an absolute necessity in editing feature films, and that is to deal with picture changes. Until this process is stable and running in Reaper I can't even consider using it to edit a film. Right now I just use it to design new sounds to work with, but not actually to picture at all.

In Pro Tools we keep old versions of our reels later on the timeline, at 1 hour intervals. When a picture change comes in, we move EVERYTHING later by 1 hour, and the use Conformalizer to copy and paste the old material into the new location at the correct time code. This way we are able to maintain original edits in case we need to refer to them, or rebuild FROM them.

I can't stress this enough. The current film I'm on is on version 40+ of several reels. In Pro Tools I can't even keep all the old versions since it's a 24 hour timeline. But Pro Tools does have a great timeline that allows this to work.

http://www.maggot.co.nz/software/conformalizer.shtml

Typically the start time of each session is on the even hour of the same number as the reel. So:

Reel 1:
01:00:00:00

Reel 2:
02:00:00:00

Reel 8:
08:00:00:00

And so on....
Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 02:41 AM   #258
airon

The folks at AATranslator have been looking at making a conforming and assembly tool that supports Reaper.

I presume you'd be amongst the folks who'd buy a tool like this, as would anyone working in film post production or where there are plenty of revisions.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:33 PM   #259
Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
The folks at AATranslator have been looking at making a conforming and assembly tool that supports Reaper.

I presume you'd be amongst the folks who'd buy a tool like this, as would anyone working in film post production or where there are plenty of revisions.
I certainly would!

However I'd be more interested in having Reaper import a Conformalizer EDL and do the changes at root level. Pro Tools doesn't do it at root, so there is a tedious waiting period of automated keystrokes of copying and pasting.

I've been using Conformalizer for years, and trust it completely. But I would look into other options should they become available.
Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 01:05 PM   #260
montag

Default Reaper with SPLICE.COM

Hello everyone.

I've just found this platform. http://splice.com/ Currently it works with FL Studio, Logic and Ableton Live but they declare integration with other DAWs in the future. I guess if there are plans for REAPER to connect with this system.
montag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 04:14 PM   #261
John Lundsten

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice View Post
I certainly would!
Hi there, John from AATranslator here, I've spent way too many hours working on how we could offer way better tools than the IMO pathetic 'Conforming' software that is available now.
In saying 'Pathetic' I'm being way too harsh:--
What is on offer is very much routed in a 1980's "Video tape" concept. IE rolls of video tape that have 1 video stream + 1-4 audio tracks ALL reference to 'Frame accurate' HH MM SS FF Timecode. And as can be logged by a CMX-edl, Eg CMX3600.edl.
JL AAT London :-)
John Lundsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 12:35 PM   #262
semiquaver

I'm sure this has been talked about a thousand times but... IF I set the project start to 1:00:00:00 in the project settings with 23.976fps it displays 59:xx: something or other.

How to proceed? Do I really have to put 1:00:03:Xx as the offset if I want the timeline to line up ?
semiquaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 03:18 PM   #263
Tim Rideout

Default Bins and sub-folders for Media Bay

Hello Reapers!

Thanks for SUCH an awesome DAW - it really is a pleasure to use - so easy, and I'm learning more and more new and awesome features every day.

A feature I love very much is the Project Media Bay - however, I really feel it could be improved by one simple tweak: sub-folders. As someone who does music for TV, I will often be managing many stereo mixes and sub-stems with which I will do my music editing and arranging. These need to be organized by bin: by style, by character, by episode, etc. You should be able to put ACTION CUE 7 in multiple bins as well (for example, in the EP97 bin as well as the ACTION CUE bin).

At present I am using Sony Vegas to do my audio assembly. It works very well in terms of the bins (less though, in terms of its glitchy audio playback). I have attached a screen cap of what I mean:
http://forum.cockos.com/attachment.p...1&d=1415398651

Thanks!
T
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VegasBins.jpg (26.2 KB, 402 views)
Old 11-07-2014, 03:44 PM   #264
vanhaze

+1, please !
vanhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 10:28 AM   #265
airon

A tree of folders that are not embedded in to the main list of entries but kept separate from it would be welcome.

There is also no action to let the user directly enter a search term in the bays' source media list or item list sections(same for media explorer actually).

Perhaps an feature request issue in the tracker (it's in the main forum overview) would help. I'd certainly vote for that, as I find the media bay is often too slow and cumbersome to work with right now. The Media Explorers file database feature is actually a lot quicker for me most of the time, but that supports no extra tagging of any kind.

Kinda 1995.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:00 AM   #266
BogdanS

1. Add the possibility of freezing the scroll track on top of the other (for example as it is done with the master track). Convenient for those who work with video.
2. Improve the floating docks, add the ability to simultaneously display multiple windows in the same dock (in the grid). Convenient for users working with two displays.
3. Improve work with MIDI events (CC) in the midi editor. Sometimes editing is not predictable (my subjective opinion)
Old 12-01-2014, 06:53 AM   #267
scheerfactor

Default Make HD audio recordings

is there a way to make the audio recording HD?
scheerfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 02:48 AM   #268
BogdanS

Ability to create Folder-track in the mixer
Old 01-19-2015, 01:43 PM   #269
Slick

PLZ PLZ PLZ....retrospective recordings (capture as recordings).
Slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 10:46 AM   #270
adissu

Default reaper vst presets

I would really appreciate to have a solid set of good presets for all reaper vst plugins (for those ones where it makes sense). This is something I really miss at a lot of plugins.

This can really help, especially for people that are new to recording or do/can not spent too much time into their passion and it would increase the work progress to have a good starting point.
adissu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 04:54 PM   #271
airon

There are a lot of presets for ReaComp, a few decent ones for ReaDelay . EQs don't need presets.

Would you suggest some for ReaVocoder or ReaPitch ?
Old 01-26-2015, 04:28 AM   #272
adissu

@arion: To be honest I would appreciate to have presets especially for EQs. Actually I use the Plugin UltraChannel from Eventide. This ChannelStrip is much more than an EQ, but it has a lot of different presets (including EQ) that help me very much to have a starting point.

I agreed that you don't need this, if you are in business very often or even every day. But people like me benefit from presets. Maybe it could also be a use case that people like you provide "standard" presets for different use cases like:

- lead vocals
-- female
-- male
- background vocals
- keys
-- grand
-- upright
-- wurly
- guitare (for different styles)
-- clean
-- western
-- crunch
- bass
- drums
-- kick
-- snare
-- cajon
as well as
- mastering stuff

So this is just a subset of ideas I have in mind. Maybe you understand what I meen. This would be also useful for compressors (ReaComp and ReaXcomp) and this could also contain some fancy stuff.
So sometimes I use a preset from a different plugin I get some new ideas what something could listen like. This could also be an inspiration for new ideas as well.
adissu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 09:51 AM   #273
potentstudios

Default Selecting Multiple Markers

I'd like to be able to select multiple markers, move and delete them.
potentstudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 10:48 AM   #274
airon

Quote:
Originally Posted by potentstudios View Post
I'd like to be able to select multiple markers, move and delete them.
The marker list, which you can select to display markers and/or regions, can accomplish the deletion task.

Perhaps the SWS Extension has some actions or features in its own marker list window feature that can help you shift them around.

It's likely the extension authors will accommodate you if you make a good case. You can get the extension via the link above, where you'll also find links to more information and how to submit a bug report, which is where you can make requests as well iirc.

For example, Breeder was nice enough to make a Loudness measurement feature for us for this SWS extension, which you can find in the Extensions menu once you've installed the SWS Extension. There's quite a lot to discover aside from the marker list window.
Old 05-11-2015, 02:49 AM   #275
Berg

Default Post-production requests Reasurround

It would definitly help in post-production projects to have the Reasurround modification in a more conventional way for 5.1/7.1/9.1. The Reasurround which gives us great possibilities isn't the way to work for post-production, some features could complete the job.

- maybe the conventional square representation, with a quick direct access to loudspeakers
- a central divergence
- spread (divergence to other channels)
- link possibilities with different modes
- the possibility to read values on channels gain and influences
- rotate function on the square, with a lfo for autopan possibilities
- constraints for sources movements like diagonals, vertical, horizontal
- a square window for easy reading source position without openning the panner plug-in and the possibility to move the source inside, this could take place at the stereo pan which is useless when a surround panner is used

Regards
Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 05:27 AM   #276
Robellado

Default OMF support?

Why not yet? Absolutely needed if you want to talk with other software (Premiere, Final...) The OMF extension (https://stash.reaper.fm/v/2426/reaper_omf.dll) does not work at all. And it is unchanged since 2009.
Robellado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 07:29 AM   #277
semiquaver

Yes, values on the channel gain faders on reasurround please!
semiquaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 08:47 AM   #278
analogexplosions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robellado View Post
Why not yet? Absolutely needed if you want to talk with other software (Premiere, Final...) The OMF extension (https://stash.reaper.fm/v/2426/reaper_omf.dll) does not work at all. And it is unchanged since 2009.

This is honestly not needed anymore. I have two applications, AATranslator, and Vordio that give you so much more versatility than an OMF or AAF natively ever would.

If you're on a Mac, Vordio is the way to go, hands down. You can go from Final Cut 7/X and Premiere currently and I know there is development to add more NLE's to this list. Vordio also lets you do session re-conforms now as well.

If you're on a PC, AATranslator is a great option. The full version lets you go from just about anything to just about anything else. It is PC only, but it works really well on OS X via Wine. Its a bit of a headache to get going, but once you have it, it works well. I'm sure on a PC it works flawlessly without the headache.

The last few months of projects I've worked on have been so seamless with Vordio. The editor just delivers all media from their edit and a small XML file. What comes out is a well organized Reaper session with everything attached and ready to get to work (with all metadata intact!).

I hope to never have to touch an AAF/OMF again, and feel confident that I really won't have to.
Old 05-28-2015, 06:14 PM   #279
babag

Quote:
Originally Posted by semiquaver View Post
Yes, values on the channel gain faders on reasurround please!
and double-click reset to 0 setting like all other reaper faders.
babag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 10:19 AM   #280
mrlimbic

I think I have a working windows build of Vordio now. If anyone wants to test it then private message me.

It is mostly relevant to people who deal with Premiere users at the moment, although Lightworks have been making good progress recently with fixing their XML export (I managed to convert XML to REAPER from their latest 12.5c Beta) so that is coming soon too. Lightworks also runs on Linux, so may even do a Linux build later. I hear that since Resolve have been improving their editing features, some have been using it. Resolve also runs on Linux.

The Premiere support is not as advanced as the FCPX support which has been battle tested for a long time and also more fully featured, but once I have a working windows build, it will be worth working on better mappings for Premiere and adding new features.

Thanks,
John