Old 10-30-2016, 12:56 PM   #1
bbjz
Human being with feelings

Default Homer Simpson Moment

I know when I get the answer, it will be one of the moments for me. So I appreciate any insights you can provide to a newbie.

I am brand new to Reaper. I thought I'll just try a couple of things to see how it works.

I imported an audio file into track 1 and it played back fine.

I then imported a MIDI file (a bass line) into track 2 and although it shows up in the Mixer channel as playing back (i.e. lots of signal), there is no indication in the Master channel that the signal is getting to it. I muted the channel 1 and the master volume VU meter shows no signal. I checked to see that the track was set to "Master Send", which it is.

What am I missing here?

Thanks again for your help.
bbjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 01:16 PM   #2
slipstick

You need something to produce the audio from MIDI, MIDI being just data. When you say "lots of signal" do you mean a red "signal" flashing, if so that's just MIDI data. If you put a VSTi or similar in the FX section of track 2 it should produce some sound.

It's covered pretty well in section 1 of the very useful free User Guide http://www.reaper.fm/userguide.php

Steve
slipstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 02:24 PM   #3
Lokasenna

What he said.

It's important to remember that, by itself, MIDI is like the roll of paper in a player piano: https://youtu.be/aujw65oyFno?t=5m5s

You have to put the roll into a piano before it'll do anything.
Old 10-31-2016, 11:43 PM   #4
Bazzbass

No, THIS is a Homer Simpson moment:

from the Homer plays Bass episode "I know lots of bass players, Paul McCartney and that guy from Led Zeppelin who isn't Page Plant or Bonham"
Old 11-01-2016, 08:54 AM   #5
jerome_oneil

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbjz View Post
I know when I get the answer, it will be one of the moments for me. So I appreciate any insights you can provide to a newbie.

I am brand new to Reaper. I thought I'll just try a couple of things to see how it works.

I imported an audio file into track 1 and it played back fine.

I then imported a MIDI file (a bass line) into track 2 and although it shows up in the Mixer channel as playing back (i.e. lots of signal), there is no indication in the Master channel that the signal is getting to it. I muted the channel 1 and the master volume VU meter shows no signal. I checked to see that the track was set to "Master Send", which it is.

What am I missing here?

Thanks again for your help.
As noted by all these smart folks, MIDI in and of itself carries no audio information. It isn't a bass line until you send it to a bass synth or bass sampler. You could set that MIDI up as a saxaphone, or some some wacky club tone just as easily. So set up the instrument first, then add the MIDI.

When you set up the track, right click on the arange area (where all your tracks go) and select "Insert new instrument track." Pick the instrument you want from the FX browser. Reaper will do all the right things for you and ensure you are routed correctly. *Then* drag your MIDI item onto that track.
jerome_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 06:12 AM   #6
bbjz

You all are the best. Thanks for helping an old dog learn new tricks.
bbjz is offline   Reply With Quote