Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 11-11-2016, 11:37 AM   #1
BlkMgkNitez
Human being with feelings

Default Move File Location (C:/Documents/Reaper Media)

Hello everyone,

I need some help on changing the recording path for Reaper. I save everything on a separate drive in a personal recording folder but for whatever reason, Reaper keeps on saving some of my audio files in a folder called Reaper Media.

This has caused a lot of problems for me and I've lost a number of audio files since I last reinstalled Windows a month ago. Some of my projects try to load files from a directory that does not exist anymore which is the Reaper Media folder.

I think the problem is me starting a new project without initially saving it into my new directory which causes Reaper to keep temporary files on my C: drive. Sometimes I just start a new file, start riffing, and save later.

Any help is much appreciated, thank you.
BlkMgkNitez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 11:57 AM   #2
karbomusic

You can change the path in Options > Preferences > Default recording path.

FYI: It won't save to that default location unless you don't save the project first. So, a gentle suggestion to always do that if you can because it solves more problems than this one.

I'd also suggest always creating a similarly named folder for your project and keeping all recorded medial files there. You can use the "Create subdirectory" and "Copy or Move media" checkboxes in the save as dialog to make that automatic for you.

I changed my path too because I occasionally just fiddle or noodle without a project as my goal (and like those to go to my audio drive) but other than that, anything I plan on using after I closer Reaper, gets a project folder with the corresponding media in it.
Old 11-11-2016, 12:01 PM   #3
BlkMgkNitez

I've done everything you suggested, thank you for your help! I hope I don't lose anymore files from now on. Thanks again.
BlkMgkNitez is offline   Reply With Quote