Old 12-02-2016, 06:41 PM   #1
unguitar
Human being with feelings

Default wave editor for MAC

Hi,
on pc I'm used to Sound Forge as a wave editor.
Which are the available options on Mac?
thanks,
Luca
unguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 07:34 PM   #2
serr

Well there are endless options for the Mac of course.

Reaper is my wave editor of choice. Most full featured editor I've ever used. (You knew someone would say that.)

What features are you looking for that are missing from Reaper for you?
Someone will have an answer.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 08:06 PM   #3
citizenkeith

Try ocenaudio. It's free. I don't like the workflow as much as Sound Forge, but it has a lot of the same functions.

https://www.ocenaudio.com/
citizenkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 01:16 AM   #4
o_e

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
Can you recommend some?

Quote:
What features are you looking for that are missing from Reaper for you?
Someone will have an answer.
It may sound funny but the main difference for me is that an editor overwrites the soundfile. Reaper afaik renders a new file so I have to go through all the naming-routine and have to delete the old file. Is there a a way of handling files destructively in Reaper?
o_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 01:29 AM   #5
Aymara

I always used Audacity, be it Windows or OSX.

Chris
Aymara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 01:55 AM   #6
jm duchenne

Quote:
Hmmm, well, there is indeed a few ones...
Soudforge Mac (not so powerful than the Windows version)
Wavelab
TwistedWave
Triumph
DSP Quattro
Ocenaudio
Audacity of course !
jm duchenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 03:50 AM   #7
o_e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aymara View Post
I always used Audacity, be it Windows or OSX.
But Audacity has the same problem for me, it does not work destructivly.
I was always happy with Peak (while colleagues hate it). Now I'am working with DSP-Quattro, but there are certain workflow issues that are really annoying. What about the light version of Wavelab, can someone recommend that one?

Last edited by o_e; 12-03-2016 at 03:56 AM.
Old 12-03-2016, 04:11 AM   #8
Win Conway

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm duchenne View Post
Hmmm, well, there is indeed a few ones...
Soudforge Mac (not so powerful than the Windows version)
Wavelab
TwistedWave
Triumph
DSP Quattro
Ocenaudio
Audacity of course !
Soundforge Mac no longer exists as far as i am aware, i contacted Magix about it, and they said it was discontinued (Magix are assholes and i am writing off all my Sony products now)

Twistedwave i use personally but its plugin support is lacklustre at best (Look for deals, i paid $10 on lockergnome)

The rest are either too expensive or just have crappy UX
Old 12-03-2016, 04:33 AM   #9
unguitar

thankk you for all the advices.
I'll try Oceanaudio first.
unguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 04:36 AM   #10
Judders

Whatever happened to Soundtrack Pro?
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 04:52 AM   #11
Futur8me

Reaper is a wave editor!.., and the best one, so what on earth are you on about?, and destructive editing is just wrong because your adding quantisation errors "digital noise" thus making the noise floor louder and louder for every single click/edit you do to that file.., bad bad bad!.

Old 12-03-2016, 10:22 AM   #12
o_e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futur8me View Post
Reaper is a wave editor!.., and the best one, so what on earth are you on about?, and destructive editing is just wrong because your adding quantisation errors "digital noise" thus making the noise floor louder and louder for every single click/edit you do to that file.., bad bad bad!.

Interesting, never heard of that. So why there are destructive editors out there, just for the convenience although they make the sound worse?
Hard to believe. Can you point to sources about that please?
Old 12-03-2016, 10:57 AM   #13
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by o_e View Post
Interesting, never heard of that. So why there are destructive editors out there, just for the convenience although they make the sound worse?
Simply older technology. A combination of earlier generation software written for lighter weight computers and more so an earlier practice that in hindsight turned out to have serious cons.

You can use actions in Reaper that let you do destructive editing if you wish. While it can be argued that a familiar workflow (and no new learning curve) is desirable for keeping a fast workflow, avoiding the newer practice of non-destructive editing is probably more work in the long run (in addition to limiting you and the danger of losing something to a mistake).

As soon as you want to redo something or change your mind about an edit you need to clean up and start over (or at least retrace a few steps). That can be magnitudes more work than having to render your final result at the end (which is the "extra" step needed for non-destructive editing that is being complained about). What's hard to believe is the resistance to this purely to avoid the extra step to render the final result after editing! Pick your battles.
Old 12-03-2016, 11:01 AM   #14
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by o_e View Post
"Most processing operations on digital audio involve requantization of samples, and thus introduce additional rounding error analogous to the original quantization error introduced during analog to digital conversion. To prevent rounding error larger than the implicit error during ADC, calculations during processing must be performed at higher precisions than the input samples."

- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_...h#Quantization

You're not very likely to hear the effects of it though.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 11:33 AM   #15
vdubreeze

Quote:

There are certain jobs and workflows where it is definitely needed, or at least a system of replacing the section with dsp'd section and easily having a duped/rendered file in the same location, named the same and without the any extra files. Doing certain specific editing scenarios in Reaper is 'possible' but not always close enough.
Old 12-03-2016, 01:31 PM   #16
serr

One of Reaper's workflow things is to not care about any extra files along the way and to clean up only at the end of a project. If that affects your OCD it's going to be an uphill battle the whole ride. Cleaning up as you go will feel like extra work.

Having to do customization to get Reaper set to your workflow for everything that doesn't come out of the box is part of the price of the tool. What's better - Reaper + some initial setup work or Reaper + a 2nd app?

I know that when I need a spectral editor I have no choice but to open another app (iZotope in this case). The extra steps (even with the assigned editor bit and all that) are a PITA vs. if Reaper had the ability. I'd be good with dialing up a few shortcuts or custom actions if needed too.
Old 12-03-2016, 06:26 PM   #17
vdubreeze

Quote:
One of Reaper's workflow things is to not care about any extra files along the way and to clean up only at the end of a project. If that affects your OCD it's going to be an uphill battle the whole ride. Cleaning up as you go will feel like extra work.

Having to do customization to get Reaper set to your workflow for everything that doesn't come out of the box is part of the price of the tool. What's better - Reaper + some initial setup work or Reaper + a 2nd app?

I know that when I need a spectral editor I have no choice but to open another app (iZotope in this case). The extra steps (even with the assigned editor bit and all that) are a PITA vs. if Reaper had the ability. I'd be good with dialing up a few shortcuts or custom actions if needed too.

Well, it's not a matter of the OCD of having extra files to delete. I have literally several simple functions that I use in my editing that aren't complex at all that Reaper simply can't provide me with regardless of its customizing power. How do I know? Because I've asked here how to accomplish some and no one has been able to tell me, so if people far more adept than I am at scripting don't offer a way to do it then the whole powerful customizability hits a theoretical wall. After a few years of bringing it up sporadically it seems best to assume some still aren't available in anyone's script archive. It's simply not true that there is nothing that can't be done by customizing Reaper with scripts and actions. For many people it may be more than sufficient. I do a lot of editing in Reaper. But for some jobs if I use my scripts and actions to make it work the way I need (not like, need) it to function, it's not faster and it's not easier.

One example is naming the file on the track and it having that name in the folder of audio. When I've edited something in Reaper it's ALWAYS an extra step to rename the new item before I can consider it done. It's not OCD when it adds up to 15 minutes of an evening. There are some kinds of sound design jobs where you're dealing with hundreds of little oddly named files. It's hard to explain why it's better to open a file, do something, and save it where it is with the exact same name, or renamed with a new suffix, because it's the only way to get it done on time, but it is. I love Reaper's Batching but that's only for a whole folder getting the same treatment.

As a moving-files-around editor Reaper is very good but not perfect. For hitting 100 quick DSP touch ups on a two hour narration and having the file ready by 10PM it's not as good as other options, regardless of its customizability, IMO naturally. Don't get me wrong, I love Reaper. But I don't at all consider it a waste to use something else when I own it.
Old 12-04-2016, 04:07 AM   #18
Win Conway

Quote:

While this makes sense to some people, it makes very little sense for people using samplers for instance, the idea of using Reaper as my main audio editor, when i just want to load a wav, trim and save, compared to the extra click involved to do that in Reaper, nonsense.
(That's not to say i don't use Reaper for some audio editing duties, some stuff it does that straight editors cant)
Old 12-04-2016, 07:52 AM   #19
citizenkeith

Back to the original subject at hand....

I came from the PC world to the Mac as well. Sound Forge is really good for quick destructive edits, batch jobs, etc. Unfortunately, Sound Forge for Mac is awful. Not worth the money at all.

I generally use the above ocenaudio as my editor. It's good but doesn't have all the functionality of SF.

I haven't used it, but Rogue Amoeba is a really good Mac developer and they have a program called Fission that might be a good option. It's only $29. https://www.rogueamoeba.com/fission/

Finally, WavePad gets a lot of attention... I haven't used it though. http://www.nch.com.au/wavepad/
citizenkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 07:59 AM   #20
Futur8me

Thats just pure ignorance.., learn reapers keyboard shortcuts or you can set up your own key shortcuts/macros to achieve extremely quick edits in reaper faster then in a "sampler" like kontakt.., learn Reaper properly and you will see it is the best for editing audio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpunk_w View Post
While this makes sense to some people, it makes very little sense for people using samplers for instance, the idea of using Reaper as my main audio editor, when i just want to load a wav, trim and save, compared to the extra click involved to do that in Reaper, nonsense.
(That's not to say i don't use Reaper for some audio editing duties, some stuff it does that straight editors cant)
Old 12-04-2016, 06:33 PM   #21
MRMJP

I understand where the OP is coming from.

I'd suggest WaveLab for great editing, CD/album layout and general editing/mastering work on OS X. It has a pretty good batch processor too.

Myriad by Audiofile Engineering is a great batch processor:
http://www.audiofile-engineering.com/myriad/

They also make an app called Triumph but I'm not sure if you'll like it because it doesn't edit files directly, it has to load in a copy.

WaveLab is best for Mac in my opinion. WaveLab Elements might be enough for your needs but I find it way to limiting for a full mastering situation.
Old 12-07-2016, 12:00 AM   #22
vdubreeze

Quote:
Thats just pure ignorance.., learn reapers keyboard shortcuts or you can set up your own key shortcuts/macros to achieve extremely quick edits in reaper faster then in a "sampler" like kontakt.., learn Reaper properly and you will see it is the best for editing audio.
Perhaps you're just referring to using Reaper as a sample editor, or maybe it's a language thing. But, no, the ignorance part is not quite correct if you're implying that there's nothing it can't do. Reaper is a fantastic program, but if you check the other subforums you'll find that there are things it just doesn't do, and some attempts at being a chameleon that only go 80% of the way. And some of those things some people need 100%. I know because I'm one of those people who periodically ask if anyone can clue me in to how to do a few of those, and the answer for some is no.

I like that people feel say is the best program at everything it does, and I even appreciate when they feel there's no need for any other audio program. But I bristle at being called ignorant because editing functions I use every day can't be adequately approximated with it.

But if you're just talking about using as a sample editor, well, as my dad used to say, I don't have a dog in that race : )
Old 12-07-2016, 03:05 AM   #23
Futur8me

I wasn't talking to you!.. lol.., and your obviously confused because all you have done is state your arrogant opinion which is not fact..,if you read the sentences properly then any sane person would not of said what you have said.., haha.. and please keep your narcissism out of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubreeze View Post
Perhaps you're just referring to using Reaper as a sample editor, or maybe it's a language thing. But, no, the ignorance part is not quite correct if you're implying that there's nothing it can't do. Reaper is a fantastic program, but if you check the other subforums you'll find that there are things it just doesn't do, and some attempts at being a chameleon that only go 80% of the way. And some of those things some people need 100%. I know because I'm one of those people who periodically ask if anyone can clue me in to how to do a few of those, and the answer for some is no.

I like that people feel say is the best program at everything it does, and I even appreciate when they feel there's no need for any other audio program. But I bristle at being called ignorant because editing functions I use every day can't be adequately approximated with it.

But if you're just talking about using as a sample editor, well, as my dad used to say, I don't have a dog in that race : )
Old 12-07-2016, 07:24 AM   #24
vdubreeze

Quote:
I wasn't talking to you!.. lol.., and your obviously confused because all you have done is state your arrogant opinion which is not fact..,if you read the sentences properly then any sane person would not of said what you have said.., haha.. and please keep your narcissism out of this.
Can I offer you an English dictionary? Maybe phrases for tourists?

edit: Nevermind. Just looked at your previous posts and your M.O. is to call people liars and ignoramuses when they point things out that you don't see. Honored to be among them.

Last edited by vdubreeze; 12-07-2016 at 08:02 AM.
vdubreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 08:01 AM   #25
cyrano

Quote:
Yes it is.

You seem incapable of imagining others having a very different workflow. I often have to edit a large number of small files. And that's a workflow that is way faster in a simple editor. By the time I have these loaded in REAPER, the job is halfway through in a simple editor.
Old 12-08-2016, 03:21 AM   #26
Futur8me

The chosen ignorance and hypocrisy posted by you guys is unbelievable.

Old 12-09-2016, 05:59 PM   #27
Jazzooka

DFTT

Back on topic : a great little guy is Snapper from Audioease

It is basically an edit window with a graphical overview of a waveform, with many options that "snaps" under the finder folder you're using, any audio file you select in finder or even iTunes will add the Snapper interface.

In a few clicks you can select a portion of sound, convert it to any format, varispeed it, trim/fade/normalize, copy/paste it at the cursor into various DAWs(sadly not Reaper) & more....

For anyone preferring to keep certain editing aspects out of a DAW, it is a handy & quick helper,

https://www.audioease.com/snapper/