Old 03-20-2017, 01:56 PM   #1
Coachz
Human being with feelings

Default With Vox/Guitar, when reverb, when delay

Are there general rules for vocals and guitars on when and how much to use of reverb and delay in general ?

There is an Eddie Kramer Effects plugin that combines the two and let's you adjust differing amounts.

When I hear a ballad, I often think of a lush vocal with big verb but no delay. But when I hear a rock song, the vocal often have some delay and little verb. So what are the reasons for adding delay and not just letting the verb be shorter.

http://www.waves.com/plugins/eddie-k...ffects-channel
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 06:16 PM   #2
Aeolian

There are so many ways, but one way I like to go is:

Vocal should be on the dry side for the verses, to get the singer right up close, and they get wetter/bigger/wider on the choruses, so the vox seems to explode and grow huge.

Some song arrangements tend toward the opposite, ie big verse-dry chorus.

Use some predelay for the lead vocal reverb, and hpf the send at around 600hz, and lpf it at around 3.2k as well.

For delays, I like to automate them so they only delay the last word of the verse or chorus or whatever.
A duck delay can do it, but I prefer automation.

Hpf and lpf the delay send, 600hz and 3.2k

Guitar and reverb are very particular, dick dale loved to drown in it, the sex pistols didn't use any, ever.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:30 PM   #3
Judders

Some mix engineers prefer to use delays over reverb, to create a sense of space without having to deal without the "washing out" or muddying effect that reverb can have.

But, in answer to your question, no; there are no general rules when it comes to how much reverb or delay. Different songs and different tastes call for wildly different approaches.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:03 PM   #4
DVDdoug

Here's one way to think about it - Reverb is a natural effect. It's the sound of a concert hall, church, etc. (But to me, the amount of reverb that sounds awesome in the concert hall sounds unnatural coming out of a pair of stereo speakers in my living room.)

Although delay/echo can occur in nature, it doesn't happen naturally in most performance situations.

It can help "technically" to delay the reverb a bit so that the peak transients don't "stack up" as much, forcing you to turn-down the levels or use compression.
DVDdoug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 03:36 AM   #5
Fergler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDdoug View Post
Here's one way to think about it - Reverb is a natural effect. It's the sound of a concert hall, church, etc. (But to me, the amount of reverb that sounds awesome in the concert hall sounds unnatural coming out of a pair of stereo speakers in my living room.)

Although delay/echo can occur in nature, it doesn't happen naturally in most performance situations.

It can help "technically" to delay the reverb a bit so that the peak transients don't "stack up" as much, forcing you to turn-down the levels or use compression.
The first reflection is a pretty common noticeable delay even in reverberant places, but it never sounds like a 1:1 copy but quieter. It's a smeared, tone-coloured thing.

Boz Imperial Delay does this really well but... yeah that's an expensive plugin for delay.

I like to do delays on a separate track and smear it a bit with reverb (very sggy), EQ,
Old 03-21-2017, 03:40 AM   #6
Coachz

And when I hear a ballad typically there seems to be only reverb but on a more upbeat song the reverb is much shorter with delay added. And the delays are long , like 1/2 second to 2 seconds right?
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 07:19 AM   #7
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
And when I hear a ballad typically there seems to be only reverb but on a more upbeat song the reverb is much shorter with delay added. And the delays are long , like 1/2 second to 2 seconds right?
Longer delays are typically saved for the ends of phrases. It's not unusual to hear subtle tape-style slap-back echo on vocals.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote