Old 04-06-2017, 11:01 AM   #121
hopi
Human being with feelings

I know people mostly know this... but Diva varies GREATLY with given patches.... let me see how many instances you get with the pad - super pad stack preset... oh yeah and do feed it a pile of fast midi notes plz
Old 04-10-2017, 06:03 AM   #122
Mr. PC

If anyone can say how Ryzen is for heat. I want to build a small PC with either a 7700k or a Ryzen, but I'm afraid Ryzen will be too hot (I want to keep it as quiet and small as possible.)
Mr. PC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 08:46 AM   #123
Softsynth

hmm....
https://www.kotaku.com.au/2017/03/am...-say-they-are/
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 06:40 AM   #124
Mr. PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscofisy View Post
Is he? Maybe we'll get a few quid off?

The Scan article on CPUs for audio does indeed recommend Intel - and an i7 4790K for "best bang for buck".

There's a few things to be said about the idea of "the best" ... and how that relates to CPUs (and lots of other things ... digital cameras spring to mind).

You can keep adding extra cash and getting higher spec - but is the extra spec actually relevant to your end purpose?

afaik processor speed (GHz) is relevant, but not necessarily number of cores ... given that in an i7 you're getting at least 4 cores anyway. 6 or 8 might be nice to have, especially if you also do video which might be able to leverage those extra cores. But the gains per $ taper off rapidly above a certain point for the vast majority of audio users.

The requirements of audio are not necessarily CPU and GPU grunt (unlike video) - but more a balance between power and a system where all parts work well together.

That is, for most people's purposes, simply buying the top CPU will solve nothing, and may well be a step backwards. That's because real-time audio recording has very particular requirements ... the first of those being maintaining a constant absolutely unstoppable flow of relatively lightweight data. With zero hiccups.

This excellent video has become a bit of a classic (it's only a year old tho!) and it explains all of this :

He said loading the OS from a PCIe SSD increased CPU interupts?

Is it therefor a bad idea to buy PCIe SSDs? m.2?

Or maybe an m.2 NVMe is good for samples, but use a vanila SATA 3 SSD for the OS?

I'm wondering if I should build a computer that has PCIe SSDs or not.
Old 04-16-2017, 05:57 AM   #125
drumphil

Quote:
No. He said that the PCIe SSD he installed increased CPU interrupts. Which one? I don't know.
drumphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 01:40 AM   #126
Mr. PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumphil View Post
No. He said that the PCIe SSD he installed increased CPU interrupts. Which one? I don't know.
Ok, so I won't *avoid* buying a Samsung EVO etc. for that sake.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:12 AM   #127
serr

M.2 pci connected SSD's are a good 3x faster than SATA connected SSD's.
400-500 MB/s read/write speeds in the average SATA SSD.
1200-1500 MB/s in the M.2

If someone was claiming increased CPU interrupts from an M.2 vs. a SATA connection, something else was the root cause!
Mac Pro 8x3.33GHz i7, 16GB, 256GB SSD(OS, apps), 3x2TB 7200 HD(data); MacBook Pro 2.8GHz, 6GB, 128GB SSD HD(OS, apps), 750GB 7200 HD(data); 2xTrue Precision 8; Apogee AD-16; 2xMOTU 828mk3, Evolution UC-33e; Faderport; WiRanger, iPad & the analog mixer has retired
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:45 AM   #128
bennetng

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. PC View Post

Is it therefor a bad idea to buy PCIe SSDs? m.2?

Or maybe an m.2 NVMe is good for samples, but use a vanila SATA 3 SSD for the OS?

I'm wondering if I should build a computer that has PCIe SSDs or not.
He just gave an example that devices/drivers can affect real time performance, not saying that PCIE SSDs are bad.

At the end of the video he mentioned BIOS, it is also an important part since modern CPUs have a lot of power saving features like C-states, Speedsteps and so on, these features can affect real time performances as well. Also, take a look to find the HPET option in the BIOS menu.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:00 AM   #129
Mr. PC

I know this has already kindof happened in this thread, but I think it would be good if we created a balanced load template (mix of Reasynth, ReaSample[I guess would need a sample of some kind? So maybe not], Reacomp, Reafir etc. spread over 50 tracks or so. Something that a laptop i7 could just barely handle (so that everyone can partake).

Then benchmark and compare on a dedicated thread, and make the results into a graph. It would be really useful info for which CPUs work well.
Old Yesterday, 01:01 AM   #130
SmajjL

I don't mind doing a i7-7700K test on any project you have in mind while this CPU might be still relevant for some people, new stuff will arrive as usual any time.
And just note that if you put the Demo of Diva on one track, then copy the track, the next Diva will not be in devine mode if I remember correctly even if you did put the first one in that mode, might revisit this soon'ish.
What you get on the mobo and special CPU instructions for 4k HW HEVC/265 and that m.2. stuff, usb 3.1, displayport for 4k at 60Hz matters for me atleast, and Aura LEDs is a must...
The speed step 'thing fastness have improved not sure if it matters anymore, the turbo seem to kick in easy.
Just make a project and i'll test it.
Old Yesterday, 05:58 AM   #131
Mr. PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmajjL View Post
I don't mind doing a i7-7700K test on any project you have in mind while this CPU might be still relevant for some people, new stuff will arrive as usual any time.
And just note that if you put the Demo of Diva on one track, then copy the track, the next Diva will not be in devine mode if I remember correctly even if you did put the first one in that mode, might revisit this soon'ish.
What you get on the mobo and special CPU instructions for 4k HW HEVC/265 and that m.2. stuff, usb 3.1, displayport for 4k at 60Hz matters for me atleast, and Aura LEDs is a must...
The speed step 'thing fastness have improved not sure if it matters anymore, the turbo seem to kick in easy.
Just make a project and i'll test it.
Ok, cool. I'm thinking I could just use Windows sounds as samples, that way everyone would be able to do it? Or is there an easier way (for the 'tester' to test the project).

I guess samples will also be stressing the disk I/O... but is there another effect that will stress the CPU the same way e.g. a bit Kontakt sample library would?
Old Yesterday, 08:56 AM   #132
SmajjL

But, but but, Diva is easy demo'able and it is well known and I asume, used, if it just is demoable, just make a project and put it on the stash and i'll get it and what ever demo, no problemo for me.
I was hoping you had something personally that frustrated the heck out of you that you were curious about.

I personally don't have those *Meh's* anymore thank gawd for my actual normal hobby usage, but maby Softie will introduce us to something new we think is cool and that require a WATSON computer, think he knows more anyway.

Edit: did you edit? I could swear that..

Last edited by SmajjL; Yesterday at 09:34 AM.
SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:20 AM   #133
Mr. PC

Quote:
But, but but, Diva is easy demo'able and it is well known and I asume, used, if it just is demoable, just make a project and put it on the stash and i'll get it and what ever demo, no problemo for me.
I was hoping you had something personally that frustrated the heck out of you that you were curious about.

I personally don't have those *Meh's* anymore thank gawd for my actual normal hobby usage, but maby Softie will introduce us to something new we think is cool and that require a WATSON computer, think he knows more anyway.

Yes, I probably did (bad habit).

I'm just thinking, for a sample heavy template, the CPU usage will be different. Right now I'm torn between a 7700k and a Intel Xeon E3-1275 v6.
Old Today, 01:37 AM   #134
Softsynth

Quote:

You want another CPU muncher?
Try testing multiple instances of Reaktor Razor (maxed out voices and quality).
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:38 AM   #135
SmajjL

Thank you sir.Softie.
10 tracks with the ("highly advanced") CPU-Test.rpp w10 task manager say 54%, hyper threading on, poly, high, max, Big Cinema.

Ps: np PC, I can even go as far as deleting my own posts if I get on my own nerves, and it happens.

Ps2: Kaby*Lake-X will be official if you don't hurry up, make up you mind, and then... etc etc..

Last edited by SmajjL; Today at 12:07 PM.
SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:45 PM   #136
C-H

Just in case someone is interested.

My Toshiba Ultrabook with i5-3317U @2.26GHz TurboBoost (stock 1.7), Win10 Home x64 chokes on 3 instances of Diva after about 20 secs with the test proj.
It throttles down to 80MHz due to heat.
C-H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:57 PM   #137
SmajjL

Only 10.000.000 times faster than my first computer, cool.
Ps. not precice math no, but.. hmm
Vic-20,bet someone can tell the precise.. would not surprise me.