Old 04-13-2017, 06:55 PM   #1
aikiboy2k
Human being with feelings

Default New Metal Song - Check it out!

https://soundcloud.com/spiralingtody...ey-to-serenity

I'm interested in critiques on the mix and the song in general. I know my playing, especially lead, needs tightening up.
aikiboy2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 08:06 PM   #2
RDBOIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikiboy2k View Post
https://soundcloud.com/spiralingtody...ey-to-serenity

I'm interested in critiques on the mix and the song in general. I know my playing, especially lead, needs tightening up.
At 0:50 I started noticing the bass.
At 1:06 I started asking myself what's up with the bass sound. Is that really a bass or something else?
At 2:00 the bass stole my serenity

The song has all the elements of a good metal song, but the bass doesn't seem to fit the part. This is personal, but in metal songs I prefer a bass with low end that grounds me down to thump of kick drum, rather than a clanky and nasal-like tone. Some clanky frequencies works, like in some Iron Maiden songs, but only once the low end is well covered. At least in my world this is how I perceive things. It's all relative.

The mix sounds balanced in my headphones. Good stereo stuff going on.

Do you have vocals for the song?
RDBOIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 03:39 AM   #3
aikiboy2k

No vocals, I stick mainly to instrumentals because vocals aren't my thing. The bass is a plug in instrument, basically programmed MIDI. Maybe I should just use a keyboard and play the bass parts.
Old 04-14-2017, 11:14 AM   #4
aikiboy2k

I fixed an issue with the bass VSTi that was making it "clanky". Sounds better but, do you normally put an EQ on the overall mix to bring out the low end or just EQ the individual tracks to kind of carve out their own space?
Old 04-14-2017, 04:32 PM   #5
RDBOIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikiboy2k View Post
I fixed an issue with the bass VSTi that was making it "clanky". Sounds better but, do you normally put an EQ on the overall mix to bring out the low end or just EQ the individual tracks to kind of carve out their own space?
I guess different people do it differently, but I mute everything and solo only the bass and kick drum tracks and listen to them together to see if they are balanced and if I can hear both properly (not overlapping too much in frequencies).

Sometimes, I'll route them to SPAN's voxengo and look at their profile to see where the low peaks are happening. Then I'll slap and EQ on both and try to carve out a space for the kick and space for the bass (normally the kick being lower). Some people recommend ducking the bass when a kick occurs to better hear the kick. I guess it could help.

Others talk about taming the low end with a multiband compressor. I guess the idea is that the low end has a lot of energy so it could be a good idea to compress that area on its own.

Some metal songs have electric guitars with some low end (like when palm muting power chords). I guess that also needs to be accounted for in containing energy.

That's all I got. I'm sure you'll figure something out that works for you.

RDBOIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 06:11 PM   #6
sammydix

I think you could ease up on your compressor settings. I hear a LOT of pumping happening (volume fading in and out). Now that could be what you wanted and then I guess it becomes a matter of taste. But if that was not intended, then yeah, lighten the compression, I feel.
sammydix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 06:17 AM   #7
jason_442

Cool song reminds me of Queens of the Stone Age. I agree the midi bass sounds weird.
jason_442 is offline   Reply With Quote