Old 11-28-2010, 01:09 PM   #1
richie43
Human being with feelings

Default Remote Mixing

Has anyone had any luck with mixing music remotely that is stored on a different computer (UltraVNC or similar)? My recording rig is an awesome quad-core and because of a too-complicated-to-explain situation, My decent monitors are with a different and lesser powered computer. So I was wondering if it is possible to do the actual tweaking on the computer with monitors while letting the quad handle the heavy lifting of plugins and such. I know it sounds silly, but I figured I would ask here. If not, i can set up the quad to be the do-all computer. The computers are on a wireless home network, just in case that is pertinent. Thanks in advance.

Rich
Old 11-28-2010, 04:56 PM   #2
Zee Wavesurfer
Banned

Well, you could try reamote to process FX in your quad.
But I fear that doing so on a wireless network might be a bad idea...
Zee Wavesurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 06:28 PM   #3
richie43

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, reamote doesn't work wirelessly, you need a hard line network connection. What I am trying to do is control one computer with another remotely like an IT administrator does. You know, they can work your computer like they were sitting in front of it. I know how to work that out, but is there audio support so I could hear and mix the Reaper project? I am partially just curious as to the capabilities and options of Reaper, but I also am trying to maximize my current situation. Anyone else have ideas?
Old 11-28-2010, 06:35 PM   #4
hopi

Tight VNC... works like a charm... if you have a fast network between them it should do what you want... google for it
Old 11-28-2010, 08:31 PM   #5
richie43

Thank you Hopi. I am learning from reading these forums that you are one of the many great resources here. I am off to googling!
Old 11-28-2010, 09:51 PM   #6
hopi

ah thanks for the kind words... well let's say I'm often 'the other opinion'.. hahaha so be it, if it helps someone I'm happy.

I do a fair amount of remote control for diff reasons... and have used and still use some diff apps for that. But this last couple years have found Tight VNC on pc's to be VERY good. I even use it along with a remote app on the iphone to get to a few pc's...

You do have to get it through your firewalls and if you are using a router you will have to likely go into the routers set up pages via a browser and make it so the computer you want to control will let you in with a definate ip.

Part of the equation that I set up is with a 'dns' redirect, which I get from www.no-ip.com .... I use so many of them that it's worth the 10 bucks per year for me to get more than the free service. If you don't know, a 'dns' redirect will let you dial up your computer with something like: myotherpc.no-ip.info instead of via an ip number string.

OK if you run into problems and questions just fire away here or with a pm.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:09 PM   #7
richie43

I live my life as "the other opinion" so it's no wonder that I enjoy your posts.
Thanks for the mini tutorial. I am slowly becoming a pretty proficient computer geek, but this vnc stuff is new to me. I have already started reading up but I am not really there yet. If you read my first post, you'll see that it may be easier for me just to take the time to set up my main work-horse with monitors and not worry about the remote access. But the budding geek in me is intrigued and it would preserve my current not so ideal situation. i appreciate the advice and when I am ready to install and configure you will be the first to get my desperate cries for help.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:20 PM   #8
hopi

cool richie... well geekness goes on and on... LOL... I'm barely there... but I have done a lot of remote stuff and love it.

VNC is just one remote solution, and a good one... I've also used something called Radmin which you have to buy.. [google again]... it's great also but for your needs would be overkill.

You can do exactly what you want with VNC and it will both work and be a good 'geek learning' for you to have in your bag of tricks.

It may be totally easy to set up or may be a little tricky here and there.... that will depend on your network at home. If it's easy, it will be up and running in 5 minutes. It won't hurt your other installs and can be uninstalled cleanly. The basic concept is this: On the machine you want to control, you install and run the VNC server. It will have the ip of that PC, will run on a port [either the default or one you set up and make open in your firewall] It can also have a password to login.
You connect to that pc with the VNC Viewer.. [a client] from your other pc. You run the client, enter the ip of the other pc and maybe the VNC password and you get the other pc in a window on your computer. You'll love it when you get it working.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:49 PM   #9
richie43

Sounds cool Hopi. So there IS audio support? That's amazing. I'm not ancient, but old enough that I have years of analogue recording experience, but I am only 3 or 4 years into self recording in digital. I don't even own any analogue stuff anymore, I decided to throw myself completely into the "new age" of audio. I am super grateful for Reaper, free VST's (some of which actually sound awesome and work), Stillwell and Schwa, and people like you in this most amazing Reaper community. With your last encouraging post, I will jump right in a little deeper and try out TightVNC. Thanks again.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:08 AM   #10
hopi

ummm no there is not audio support... in other words, lets see ...I understood that you have a computer with good monitors and one without.. and you want to remote control the one with mon's from the other one...

well if you are where you can hear the monitors then of course you will hear them... if you are not where you can hear them, then of course you will not...

I mean, if the point is to hear the good monitors then clearly you have to be where you can hear them no matter how you control the computer.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:55 AM   #11
richie43

Now I see the confusion. I want to control the computer without the good monitors with the computer with good monitors. The good computer presently does not have the good monitors. Thanks anyway, it was close! I just need to change the configuration of my set up and put the good monitors with the quad core work horse. Thanks Hopi, I have learned how easy remote access is though, so it hasn't been a total waste. I appreciate the help and i will continue to learn from the forum And experience. Cheers.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:28 AM   #12
EricM

I'm not sure what you guys are talking about here, but Reaper
has two great options of audio streaming through LAN either
by cable or wireless (works like a charm with around 50 ms latency)

Using VNC / TeamViewer (great app & free!) to set it up remotely, than
operate from one comp only.

Install reaper on both machines, and either use ReaStream to send
master mix audio from quad computer to the one hooked up to
monitors, or mix on the less-powerful machine but use ReaMote
which sends audio to the quad machine, processes it with the plugin
and sends it back. With ReaMote you need to have the same plug-ins
installed and running at the same time on both machines (ReaMote
server takes care of that, you just need two dongles if you use plugs
that require hardware license), and than simply load it on your
local machine as remote plug-in, and control the GUI from there
while processing takes place on another machine.

Very easy to set up too. If you need help with it check the user guide or
ask a specific question here

e

Last edited by EricM; 11-29-2010 at 01:34 AM.
EricM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:44 AM   #13
richie43

ReaMote would be ideal but the last time i checked into that it only worked with a hard wired network, not a wireless. You have it working wirelessly? I use free or non-dongled paid plugins and both computers have identical VST's, so if this is possible, that would be awesome!
Old 11-29-2010, 11:11 AM   #14
richie43

Up and running, thanks! I haven't figured out the sweet spot yet but the computers are connected. i am getting pops and stutters but will explore. Any default starting point suggestions for a good wireless connection? I don't understand exactly what the extra settings do but am starting to experiment. Thanks again!
Old 11-29-2010, 11:21 AM   #15
PitchSlap

I haven't used Reamote for a few years, but I'm pretty sure I was using it wirelessly.

Also thanks for the heads up on TightVNC. I really like being able to access my main computer from work.

All they need is audio support for this puppy and it could really be a powerful solution for remote mixing.

I think remote mixing could be the future. Big studios could allow people to mix remotely. Everyone would win. Struggling studios could be fully booked, and people could have access to the best plugins/gear from anywhere for a greatly reduced cost...
Old 11-29-2010, 08:00 PM   #16
ted

Default what i do ?

i use 3 computers, 3 monitors, 1 keyboard, 1 mouse and a 3 position/computer KVM SWITCH for my custom videc switching....

COMPUTERS IN STUDIO
REAPER,,,, 3.4 pentium d ( dual processor ) EFFECTS....dual 3.0 xeon (2 individual 3.0 processors)...
PERSONAL /printing/surfing/ general.... intel 3.0 H/T

VIDEO ROUTING
MON 1 - REAPER / MON 2-EFFECTS
" 1 - EFFECTS
" 1 - PERSONAL / MON 3-TV-MONITOR
(i have dual monitor cards on 2 computers).
this work really well for my purposes..........

if i understand your question, correctly..
you would need to use a similar, KVM, switch..
i used, on my 1st setup, a 2 computer KVM, that was manually operated
now,i use a 3 computer,usb,KVM. video switchinng occurs from keyboard stroking.

additionally: computer 1 & 2 share a firewall 400bmps connections..
i cannot say enough about getting your firewall going..
sure solved a problem i was having where connection would complete on 1st attempt to load effects...i determined, that the router that supplied 10/100 was attempting to load, more than it was capable of loading, on start-up of reamote connection.. however, if was only a problem when attempting to load reamote...

since i got firewire connection working, that problem is no more......... ..............
firewall is 4 times faster than a 10/100 router signal

hope this helps somebody...................

regards,
ted

STUDENT: School of Hard Knocks
ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:49 PM   #17
PitchSlap

Ok, so I've been using Tight VNC for a few days now and the screen redrawing is painfully slow. What's the point of connecting to an i7 when it feels like a 486?

Anyway, I've been looking at this comparison chart on Wikipedia, and it seems there might be some better options and a number of these programs support audio.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...sktop_software

I've just installed TeamViewer and will test that out tomorrow, but I'm wondering if anyone has already been through this list and found the 'best' solution?
Old 12-01-2010, 12:02 AM   #18
hopi

hey Pitch... I use TightVNC across a few different systems... IMHO it is about the best free VNC app out there... compared to Real VNC which is pricey as hell, Tight is WAY better...

Tight let's me see multimonitor screens, even if I connect via my iPhone.

Now as to speed of control... that is gonna depend almost entirely on the speed of your connection... slow link up and, yes it's horrible, but that will be true with whatever tool you use... fast line and it's virtually no lag at all. I remote control from Calif. to Texas and we both have decent hi speed broadband lines and it's quite fast... and also do it across dedicated gbit router between a few machines and that is 'no lag at all'...

I did mention one other great remote app Radmin but you have to buy it really... worth the money.. but don't get your hopes up for audio... like for hearing audio from reaper on a remote pc that you are controlling so you can work with it at your client pc.... ain't gonna happen to my knowledge... remote voice chat... sure...but then just use skype...

If you need to assist someone remotely and can drop a buck now an then CoPilot is the easiest best way to go as it will tunnel through about anything and get you connected with zero hassles...

but again... a remote connection is totally dependant on the connection speed between the two machines. An app that can show you a trace route with the speed of each hop will show you clearly where the bottlenecks are.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:04 AM   #19
PitchSlap

So TeamViewer is WAY better than Tight VNC. I think the biggest difference is in the caching and image compression, but it's much more responsive.

It said there is support for audio, but this appears to only be for video/voice chat and not for the operating system itself..

If there is something as responsive as TeamViewer with some Ninjam level sound, it would be perfect.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:41 AM   #20
plush2

I assume you are planning to control Reaper on the remote computer so why not run Ninjam in Reaper and then have your local computer synced up to it?
plush2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 10:37 AM   #21
darjama

I've been testing out some possibilities for remote mixing, (me in my house, client on the other coast), and I'm finding the sweet spot using logmein.com free and reaper with ninjam in voicechat mode. I've been having a little problem getting ducking to work with a mic so we can talk about changes and not have it get lost in the music, but otherwise it's been good.
darjama is offline   Reply With Quote