Old 02-08-2017, 08:42 PM   #1
srdmusic
Human being with feelings

Default Hide Unused Tracks

Is there a quick of of hiding all tracks that do not contain data on them (items, midi, audio, automation etc.)

With a very large template it would be nice to only see the tracks that I've written midi and recorded audio on.

I have found an action that lets me show all selected tracks and hide others in the TCP but that requires that I first manually open all of my folder tracks select the items then hit the action.
k
I'd also still like to see the folder tracks even though they don't have any data on them.

I'm sure there is a clever script or multiple action that could help with this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
srdmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 09:15 PM   #2
cfillion

I've just wrote "Toggle visiblity of empty non-folder tracks" in the ReaTeam Scripts repository, it will be available shortly from ReaPack. Does it do what you want?

Last edited by cfillion; 02-08-2017 at 09:34 PM.
cfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 10:47 PM   #3
trevlyns

You can show/hide tracks in the Track Manager - Ctrl/shift/M and even mute unused ones to save CPU.

Also, have a look at this video by Jon at the Reaper Blog..
Old 02-08-2017, 11:16 PM   #4
drichard

It only takes a click in Track Manager.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srdmusic View Post
Is there a quick of of hiding all tracks that do not contain data on them (items, midi, audio, automation etc.)

With a very large template it would be nice to only see the tracks that I've written midi and recorded audio on.

I have found an action that lets me show all selected tracks and hide others in the TCP but that requires that I first manually open all of my folder tracks select the items then hit the action.
k
I'd also still like to see the folder tracks even though they don't have any data on them.

I'm sure there is a clever script or multiple action that could help with this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
drichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 05:45 AM   #5
heda

look at this thread. Also related and interesting
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=179519
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 08:17 AM   #6
srdmusic

Default Solved: Show only used tracks and their parent folders

Thank you everyone for the help. I'm amazed at the pure genious you guys have with in this forum.

I can up with a clever multi action that does what I need. The main problem with most of the scripts and actions were that if I had tracks within collapsed folders it would hide my folder tracks and therefore hide those folder contents. Even though the tracks that had items or fx on them were technically visible, they were not actually visible because collapsed folders hide the child tracks in the theme I'm using.

The solution was the attached multi action.

I hope that's useful for anyone else looking for the same solution.
Attached Images
File Type: png Hide Unused Tracks.PNG (9.9 KB, 868 views)
Attached Files
File Type: reaperkeymap Hide Unused Tracks.ReaperKeyMap (258 Bytes, 411 views)
srdmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 03:49 PM   #7
blumpy

Default So useful....but......

Awesome!

How would one modify this to hide all tracks without items within a track folder (both TCP & MCP) but not the track folder master?
blumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 01:09 AM   #8
blumpy

Default Modifying this.....

I would appreciate any help trying to modify this script so that a tracks without items AND containing the character '¡' (opt-1 ; the upside-down exclamation point) OR • (opt-8) will toggle show/hide.

In my template I have many instances of software instruments already instantiated but I'd like to show/hide the empty tracks quickly. I think a naming attribute would be easy way to mark the tracks I'd like to be able to show/hide.

So a track titled:
¡Diva -- without an item
•Synth Stem 1 -- without an item
both would toggle regardless of whether they're in a folder or not.

I'll try to work this out on my own but I'm still learning so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-22-2017, 02:06 AM   #9
cfillion

Quote:
Originally Posted by blumpy View Post
How would one modify this to hide all tracks without items within a track folder (both TCP & MCP) but not the track folder master?
Isn't this what the script already does?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blumpy View Post
I would appreciate any help trying to modify this script so that a tracks without items AND containing the character '¡' (opt-1 ; the upside-down exclamation point) OR • (opt-8) will toggle show/hide.
I just released a new version with an added variant for matching the bullet character. Note that since the old version had a typo in the name ("visiblity" ouch!), the new version is basically a new script to install.

I made it in such a way that, to create a new variant for any character you'd like, just copy the script file and put your desired character between the apostrophes in the filename.
You can chain the variants in a custom action to get the 'OR' behavior you described.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:21 PM   #10
blumpy

Default You're a god!

Thank you so much. You're a god.

The Issue I was having was a means to distinguish VSTi tracks/midi tracks from Audio Track/audio busses and the ability to hide all tracks VSTi and midi tracks without hiding audio and busses. So the • works out perfect. I just label every midi and VSTi track with • and if it doesn't have any items they hide. I had to modify the script slight to remove the No FX, because I needed to have a VSTi but it's a god send.

Thank you!

Dinner is on me....via PayPal
Old 06-23-2017, 01:49 AM   #11
cfillion

Thank you very much!
Old 03-30-2018, 10:44 AM   #12
InLight-Tone

Can anyone point me to the 2 scripts from C Fillion. I'm coming up empty...Thanks!
Old 03-31-2018, 01:37 PM   #13
Gerry P

Quote:
Originally Posted by InLight-Tone View Post
Can anyone point me to the 2 scripts from C Fillion. I'm coming up empty...Thanks!
In Actions / Filter:

enter "cfillion visibility"
Old 04-23-2021, 10:57 PM   #14
kris.audioplanet

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfillion View Post
Isn't this what the script already does?

I just released a new version with an added variant for matching the bullet character. Note that since the old version had a typo in the name ("visiblity" ouch!), the new version is basically a new script to install.

I made it in such a way that, to create a new variant for any character you'd like, just copy the script file and put your desired character between the apostrophes in the filename.
You can chain the variants in a custom action to get the 'OR' behavior you described.

Great. What I would like though is to have all the tracks with no Items and which are not folders to be hidden, even if they have other info on them, such as FX.
kris.audioplanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 01:45 AM   #15
Thonex

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris.audioplanet View Post
Great. What I would like though is to have all the tracks with no Items and which are not folders to be hidden, even if they have other info on them, such as FX.
Maybe:
Script: sr_Hide tracks without items and ignore folder tracks (TCP).lua

https://forums.cockos.com/showthread.php?p=1923923
Old 04-04-2022, 05:35 PM   #16
composerguy78

Would there be a way to modify this script to just select non-folder tracks instead of hiding them? I would like to be able to select empty tracks, bypass or deactivate FX on those tracks and also hide them.
composerguy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 10:50 PM   #17
kevnls

I came across this thread looking for a way to do basically the same thing, but in my case all I really cared about was the TCP because my mixer is on a separate monitor.

I tried editing some of the scripts discussed, but I kept running into the same issue which is the fact that a script doesn't let you store 'state' that you can reference later so I started rethinking it and came up with a much simpler solution that works 10X better than anything I was hacking together in script.

It uses the SWS snapshot functionality to store state so you're actually returning to the visibility in the TCP that you had setup before you toggled into, what for me is an 'edit' mode.

So my two custom buttons are "Pause Tracking", which hides empty tracks, and then "Resume Tracking", which brings back all of my templated tracks. I think these two screenshots should pretty well explain it if that sounds useful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pause Tracking.jpg (17.8 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg Resume Tracking.jpg (14.5 KB, 29 views)
kevnls is offline   Reply With Quote