Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 06-23-2017, 01:25 AM   #1
MRMJP
Human being with feelings

Default How do you record from one stereo track to another?

Is it possible to play audio from one track, and have it be recorded by another track?

I already do this using hardware outs and ins when I run audio through my analog mastering chain by recording from one stereo track, and capturing on another but I couldn't figure out how to do this by internal bussing in REAPER.

Today I had a cause where I wanted to stay all digital and just route the audio from one stereo track and record it to another.

I could get audio to be fed to the capture track and I could hear it and see it on the meters during playback, but when I actually hit record, nothing would appear to be recorded.

What am I missing in order to do this?
Old 06-23-2017, 01:43 AM   #2
cfillion

Record: output (stereo)

cfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 01:49 PM   #3
ashcat_lt

But why do you feel you want to do this? What is this accomplishing that one of the render options won't? There are only very rare situations when this actually makes sense.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 03:00 PM   #4
MrBongo

well, the question is about staying all digital. Freezing and rendering does the job here, since no hardware is being used
MrBongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 06:39 PM   #5
hopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBongo View Post
well, the question is about staying all digital. Freezing and rendering does the job here, since no hardware is being used
seems crazy to me... why not just hold the control key and drag a copy of the wav file to a new track?
Old 06-23-2017, 07:56 PM   #6
MRMJP

It's a fair question why I want to do this but the main goal is to get the audio onto a track with existing takes.

My normal process involves recording to a new track from an analog source. After that, I may open some sections as item copies in RX so now I have a more complex track with additional takes in different sections.

Now let's say I want to try an all digital pass and bypass the hardware outputs and inputs.

I still want to capture it on the same track I originally captured from analog because I might want to combine some takes, some being captured from analog and some being all digital sent from one track to another.

Using the same capture track allows for easy combining of takes as well as makes it easy to see where all my edit points are where I did some RX cleanup.

I could go on but I guess I assumed it would be as easy as Pro Tools where you can send the output of a track to a buss, and then set the input of another track to record that buss. Extremely simple.

I would ideally like to not deal with rendering or freezing and then trying insert the pure digital version on the existing track.

So instead of asking why I want to do it, could anybody just say if you can route a track and have it recorded by another track?

I'm traveling at the moment with limited computer time so I won't be to test cfillion's solution for a little bit yet.

Like I said, I got as far as being able to send a track to another track and get the audio and meters happening on playback, but when hit record the audio wasn't actually recorded on the desired track.
Old 06-24-2017, 03:16 AM   #7
Billy M

To do what you want to do: Set the track you want to use to receive the source track and use the record output settings on it that cfillion posted above.

"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution." - Bill Hicks
Billy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 08:27 AM   #8
ashcat_lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRMJP View Post
So instead of asking why I want to do it, could anybody just say if you can route a track and have it recorded by another track?
You had your answer in the first reply, so I didn't see any harm in taking the discussion a little further and at least offering another perspective/option. Like I said, there are only rare cases where it actually makes sense to do this rather than just render. You seem to have found one of those cases.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 05:15 PM   #9
MRMJP

Thanks, I've had time to look at cfillion's solution and it works well.

What didn't help is that I'm working remotely on a new laptop and didn't realize I didn't have the secondarily click option set up like I should have.

As weird as it may sound, I definitely need to simply record from one track to another...no freezing/glueing/reimporting etc.

Thanks cfillion for understanding.