Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 11-21-2014, 04:12 PM   #1
ProfRhino
Human being with feelings

Default limit peak file creation to project folder

Hi folks,
is there a way to only create peak files in (a subfolder of) the project folder ?
Whenever I import an audio file, it generates a peak file folder in the original file location too, annoys the hell out of me.
It's not necessary either as the audios get copied to the project folder anyway.
Any setting I overlooked ?
thanks,
Rhino
ProfRhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 04:44 PM   #2
planetnine

Use Alt-Enter to bring up the project settings dialogue, and under the "media" tab, stick "audio files" in the "Path to save media files..." box.

Hit "save as default project settings" and you projects should automatically save your recorded media and peak files to an "audio files" folder in your project directory. Just make sure you save the project (and name the tracks) before you start recording. You life will become immediately easier and your hard disk filing much less confusing

>
Old 11-21-2014, 05:48 PM   #3
ProfRhino

hey, thanks !
this ( /audio ) actually solves another Q I had, giving me a dedicated audio folder inside the project folder, like in Cubase. Very cool !

My initial issue is not yet solved however.
Repro:
I drag an existing soundfile into Reaper.
It gets copied into the project's audio folder, and a peak file gets created there in the peaks folder. Fine, that's what I want.
Unfortunately Reaper also creates a 2nd peak folder, at the origin of the imported file, which is what bugs me. Afaics that's nonsense, as from that point on Reaper only ever uses the copy in the project's audio folder, no ?

thanks again,
Rhino

Last edited by ProfRhino; 11-21-2014 at 06:08 PM.
Old 11-21-2014, 07:44 PM   #4
hopi

I agree... reaper sticks peak files all over the place too easily...
I also would like to limit that or at least to have them go, either to the project folder\Audio Files [which we can do] and\or also to a specified folder, much like the temp recording path can be set...

At least that way I could keep an eye on that folder and clean it out now and then.
Old 11-22-2014, 12:19 AM   #5
Jeffsounds

Options->Preferences->General->Paths. Tick the box for 'Store all peak caches (.reapeaks) in alternate path:' and then fill in the box with the path/folder of your choice.
Old 11-22-2014, 05:11 AM   #6
ProfRhino

thanks, but doesn't work for me.
sorry for being slow, I'm new ...
- imported audio files are copied to "project folder\audio", no problem

any detailed walkthrough to achieve the following behaviour, please ?
- peak files should be generated in a subdirectory of the project folder
- no peak files should ever be generated anywhere else, especially not in the original folder from which I dragged the file into Reaper, not even an empty peaks folder !

thanks,
Rhino
Old 01-01-2015, 06:59 PM   #7
J Reverb

Go to preferences, paths.

'tick'Store all peak caches (.reapeaks) in alternate path
Browse to a folder where you want to store your peak files (make a folder somewhere that isn't in your samples folder, I put mine in my documents/reapeaks).

Use alternate peak cache path for the following paths (multiple paths seperated by semicolons)
Browse to the folder that you 'don't' want to have reapeaks created in. I have a folder called 'Sound Library' C:\Users\......\Desktop\Sound Library.
This means everything inside the Sound Library folder will 'not' have peakfiles generated.

You can add other locations such as music library etc by adding a semicolon between the paths i.e

C:\Users\......\Desktop\Sound Library;C:\Users\......\Desktop\music library

I think that is how it works, hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg peakfiles.jpg (32.0 KB, 222 views)
J Reverb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 01:45 AM   #8
planetnine

I always use a relative folder for audio files so that the source files and their associated peak files stay wiith the project they are associated with. I keep the peak files with their audio files because I see no need to separate them, but you can store them in a subfolder of your audio files if you want.

This means that project copies, archives and backups all have complete data-sets. I never have to go looking for media and I never have to wait for peak files to regenerate.

It's just a sensible methodology for what are, commonly for me, large project data-sets.

Incidentaly, most times that I am called on to help people with getting used to REAPER, or rescue projects that aren't going right, lost/separated audio files, missing media on project opening and loss of project management are the main problems. If you do not keep a tidy mind with organising your projects, you will come unstuck. If you can't keep hold of your media, you don't stand a hope in hell of running large or complicated project setups.

I regularly find stuff moved, renamed and/or deleted from the OS folders, leaving projects with large holes. Sometimes it is a real detective job to find which files should be in those holes. If you must rename source media at a late stage, do it from Project Bay and make really sure that only your version of the project uses those media files (best to do it to a copy)

Set it up right, and every time you import media (as opposed to record it directly with REAPER), either copy the media across to your project media folder, or glue the part you need and make sure this resides in your project media folder.

Get used to the Project Bay "Source Files" tab, and make sure that all files used are resident in your project media folder -you can actually do the copying/relocating direct from here.

If you can't manage your source files, your are lost.

>