Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 11-28-2011, 04:48 AM   #1
buckman
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper delete files on close? Like editor?

I think this is what I mean about destructive editing in Reaper and me trying to use it as my editor of choice on the Mac.

Is there a setting that allows any WAV or aiff files that I record, that I don't need, so delete on closing reaper?

This would be more like an editor in my world.

I sometimes open reaper to edit or resave something or even just record something and resave
But reaper leaves tons of files in a designated folder (at preferences level) even if I didn't save or render it?

I don't really want specify a folder each time for audio and them clean it out before exit. Is there a setting that makes reaper clear any unused audio that's not in a project so it's a little like an editor?

Soundforge I just open record something, change my mind,exit and nothing ever existed. If I did want Ito would have saved it anyway.

I think this is one of my mental blocks coming from a dedicated editor.
buckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 06:00 AM   #2
Xasman

Go to View>Project Media/FX Bay:

Click on the "Actions" button and choose "Remove all items that are not used in project" from the drop-down menu.
Xasman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 07:22 AM   #3
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xasman View Post
Go to View>Project Media/FX Bay:

Click on the "Actions" button and choose "Remove all items that are not used in project" from the drop-down menu.
To be fair, thats not the same, - I mean just opening, editing, and closing quickly as you would with an editor..

Can Reaper be set to do this? i dont really want to remember to clean a folder out or look at tthe media bay etc
Old 11-28-2011, 07:34 AM   #4
richie43

I know that this is not a solution, but I assign a key command to "clean current project directory". I can quickly open Reaper, record/edit/whatever, and with one key, unused files are gone. And with the powerful macro possibilities, I am sure that you could chain that together with a close command, but I am not as skilled at the macro thing. But that would give you a one key command to clean directory and close Reaper, you just need to set up the macro first. Personally, I like that I need to think about it first. I have confidently deleted things one day and wished I had them the next.... but Reapers customization potential is one of the things that people love, so good luck!
Old 11-28-2011, 08:23 AM   #5
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie43 View Post
I know that this is not a solution, but I assign a key command to "clean current project directory". I can quickly open Reaper, record/edit/whatever, and with one key, unused files are gone. And with the powerful macro possibilities, I am sure that you could chain that together with a close command, but I am not as skilled at the macro thing. But that would give you a one key command to clean directory and close Reaper, you just need to set up the macro first. Personally, I like that I need to think about it first. I have confidently deleted things one day and wished I had them the next.... but Reapers customization potential is one of the things that people love, so good luck!
This is great, but I never really set up specific folders just for opening and editing, and once you forget to clean it out, it has the last sessions editing, and "cleaning out" could delete files from another project..

Its a shame that you can't just close and it delete anything not saved.

I am so used to this, so I save anything thats not needed and let everything else just vanish
Old 11-28-2011, 08:36 AM   #6
richie43

It sounds like you have some specific work-flow that you don't want to alter. That's your choice. I always have a project folder for each project, so when I open that project and do any work, when I save or delete, it always pertains to that project only. I don't ever have to worry about deleting the wrong files. It might take a few minutes more to set up a project, but I am so used to it that it saves me so much time in the long run. Good luck.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:07 AM   #7
buckman

Quote:
It sounds like you have some specific work-flow that you don't want to alter. That's your choice. I always have a project folder for each project, so when I open that project and do any work, when I save or delete, it always pertains to that project only. I don't ever have to worry about deleting the wrong files. It might take a few minutes more to set up a project, but I am so used to it that it saves me so much time in the long run. Good luck.
Your right i am a lazy old bum..

I do have a folder open to save everytime i launch reaper, but i generally cancel it as i need to edit, instead of finding and sorting a folder etc.

Maybe I should try it..
Old 11-28-2011, 10:03 AM   #8
richie43

I didn't call you lazy. Maybe stubborn... I have found that with some small work-flow changes and setting up projects right in the beginning, things are actually sped up as a whole. As my projects got larger, more complex, and more numerous, I found organization and smooth process to be huge assets. YMMV, IMHO, blah blah blah.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:07 PM   #9
buckman

Quote:
I didn't call you lazy. Maybe stubborn... I have found that with some small work-flow changes and setting up projects right in the beginning, things are actually sped up as a whole. As my projects got larger, more complex, and more numerous, I found organization and smooth process to be huge assets. YMMV, IMHO, blah blah blah.
No I'm right, the word is 'bum'! and lazy!

Yes i should maybe look into setting up projects differently i suppose and change my working methods
Old 11-28-2011, 02:17 PM   #10
richie43

If it works, then it works!
Old 11-29-2011, 04:42 AM   #11
buckman

Quote:
If it works, then it works!
True!

I suppose you can specify a certain Hard Drive (ext USB) or Folder that you want to pop up as soon as you open Reaper so you have somewhere to save your project on a specified drive? Then you could clean this out at the end of each session?

I think mine just get placed anywhere and I lose them, which is why i have files everywhere!