Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Color Themes and Icon Sets

Old 07-10-2014, 06:59 AM   #121
amagalma
Human being with feelings

Hello Janne and everybody!

Since this theme has become my default theme, could I ask for a couple of things that would make it a lot easier for the eyes?

It is a little bit difficult for me to see which channels are armed for recording. Could you make the record button to be a more striking red colour? And if it is possible, the track number should also turn to striking red when the track is armed, for extra help.

The same difficulty for my eyes pose the scroll bars for the navigation in the arrange window. I can't easily distinguish the bar to its background since they are more or less the same colour. Could you make them more contrasted?

And here: (I did not manage to colour it very good, but you get the idea)

If you don't have the time to do it, or you don't agree, could you guide me on how to do it myself? Thank you!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg more contrast.jpg (19.1 KB, 1773 views)
File Type: jpg contrast.jpg (30.9 KB, 1687 views)

Last edited by amagalma; 07-10-2014 at 07:11 AM.
amagalma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 07:29 AM   #122
PaulRain

I have the same issue with Mute and Solo buttons, it's very important in my opinion to see them very clear...
I actually already change the images of both buttons giving more saturation to the color, it's quite easy to do but I believe it should be implemented.
p
PaulRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:18 AM   #123
henge1

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagalma View Post
Hello Janne and everybody!

Since this theme has become my default theme, could I ask for a couple of things that would make it a lot easier for the eyes?

It is a little bit difficult for me to see which channels are armed for recording. Could you make the record button to be a more striking red colour? And if it is possible, the track number should also turn to striking red when the track is armed, for extra help.

The same difficulty for my eyes pose the scroll bars for the navigation in the arrange window. I can't easily distinguish the bar to its background since they are more or less the same colour. Could you make them more contrasted?

And here: (I did not manage to colour it very good, but you get the idea)

If you don't have the time to do it, or you don't agree, could you guide me on how to do it myself? Thank you!
LOL! I had the same issues and Janne made some vivd buttons! see post #21
Old 07-10-2014, 08:42 AM   #124
esosotericmetal

+1 for more contrast on the Record button, as well as the scroll bar.
esosotericmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 10:18 AM   #125
amagalma

Quote:
Originally Posted by henge1
LOL! I had the same issues and Janne made some vivd buttons! see post #21
Oh! That is so nice of him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulRain View Post
I have the same issue with Mute and Solo buttons, it's very important in my opinion to see them very clear...
I actually already change the images of both buttons giving more saturation to the color, it's quite easy to do but I believe it should be implemented.
p
I followed your advice and with a little bit of images tweaking (more saturation), I did it!

More contrast for the mute, solo and record buttons and for the scrollbars:

I changed a bit the item label colours too, so that they contrast more to the item background.

P.S. Hope that I didn't destroy your work, Janne!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg customized.jpg (29.0 KB, 1597 views)
Old 07-10-2014, 10:24 AM   #126
amagalma

In case anyone needs them. I attach them here:
Attached Images
File Type: png mcp_mute_on.png (1.4 KB, 251 views)
File Type: png mcp_recarm_auto_on.png (1.2 KB, 225 views)
File Type: png mcp_recarm_on.png (1.2 KB, 246 views)
File Type: png mcp_solo_on.png (1.1 KB, 216 views)
Old 07-10-2014, 10:25 AM   #127
amagalma

and the rest:
Attached Images
File Type: png track_mute_on.png (1,018 Bytes, 226 views)
File Type: png track_recarm_on.png (908 Bytes, 178 views)
File Type: png track_solo_on.png (891 Bytes, 198 views)
File Type: png scrollbar.png (2.4 KB, 191 views)
Old 07-10-2014, 01:23 PM   #128
fladd

I would like to have more classic VU metres. But changing their colour in the settings does not affect anything. What am I missing here?
Old 07-10-2014, 02:20 PM   #129
spinlud

I think this theme should be taken as main reference for Reaper 5 theme...awesome work Janne!
spinlud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 02:22 PM   #130
henge1

Quote:
and the rest:
Thanks a ton!
Old 07-10-2014, 02:43 PM   #131
Lokasenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by fladd View Post
I would like to have more classic VU metres. But changing their colour in the settings does not affect anything. What am I missing here?
I believe VU meters use an actual image from the theme now.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:55 PM   #132
fladd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
I believe VU meters use an actual image from the theme now.
But they are just unicolour (blue)! Why using an image for that? I don't understand.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:58 PM   #133
fladd

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinlud View Post
I think this theme should be taken as main reference for Reaper 5 theme...awesome work Janne!
I like the theme, but there is a lot to be improved if it is going to be used as reference for Reaper 5.

- As many mentioned before, the theme misses contrasts in several places, making it hard to see stuff

- Track selection needs a frame around it. When colouring track backgrounds, it is impossible to see which track is selected

- The volume sliders do not have a any marks (not even at 0 db), making it difficult to see at a glance what the level settings are

- The VU meters colours cannot be changed with the corresponding settings (see also the reply to my question above)
Old 07-11-2014, 01:14 AM   #134
Janne83

Hey there(This is meant for all users of the theme). I think weve been down this road before, but let me say again. Many thanks for all the insights and critiques,they are graetly appreciated. Ive read through them, but its just impossible to implement them all(too many different tastes, specially regarding contrast ). The colors in the theme are my design choice- that goes for the buttons as well. You can mod the theme to your taste(or make separate objects to your liking like Amagalma did) however you wish and post your modifications(just mention me as the originator.)

Quote:
I like the theme, but there is a lot to be improved if it is going to be used as reference for Reaper 5.
Where did you hear a silly story like that?

Quote:
- As many mentioned before, the theme misses contrasts in several places, making it hard to see stuff
As I said im not going to join the contrast wars again.

Quote:
- Track selection needs a frame around it. When coloring track backgrounds, it is impossible to see which track is selected
The frame wont work with my mcp bg design choice. I think that the color difference between selected and unselected is big enough.

Quote:
- The volume sliders do not have a any marks (not even at 0 db), making it difficult to see at a glance what the level settings are
Impossible to use dB fader scales because faders are scalable- with Reapers current scaling it just doesnt work technically.sorry.

Quote:
- The VU meters colours cannot be changed with the corresponding settings (see also the reply to my question above)
We use images for VU meters because the system works bettere and there are features that are not possible to create with classic metter settings- REcording meter colours and better clip indicators. Again my choice and also a design contrain because of scalability.

Hopefully this answers your questions.

Regards J

Last edited by Janne83; 07-11-2014 at 01:40 AM.
Janne83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 05:47 AM   #135
fladd

Hi there, thanks a lot for your answers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janne83 View Post
Where did you hear a silly story like that?
It was suggested 5 posts above.

Quote:
As I said im not going to join the contrast wars again.

The frame wont work with my mcp bg design choice. I think that the color difference between selected and unselected is big enough.
Just a random example in the attachment.

Can you spot which track is selected?

Quote:
Impossible to use dB fader scales because faders are scalable- with Reapers current scaling it just doesnt work technically.sorry.

We use images for VU meters because the system works bettere and there are features that are not possible to create with classic metter settings- REcording meter colours and better clip indicators.
I understand.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg selection_colour.jpg (31.3 KB, 225 views)
Old 07-11-2014, 05:54 AM   #136
JDL

The only thing I don't like is that the background in ReaTune is completely black, but that should be easily fixable.
JDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 06:16 AM   #137
amagalma

Thank you Janne for your replies!

I agree with fladd about the track selection! Actually, I don't like it in the default Reaper theme either! Once you have coloured track backgrounds in various colours and shades, there is almost no way to tell which track is selected just by looking at them! For me, after having "doctored" the contrast of buttons and scrollbar, it is the only important thing that remains to be "fixed". I'll give it a try, but I am afraid I will be swimming into deep Walter waters!..

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDL View Post
The only thing I don't like is that the background in ReaTune is completely black, but that should be easily fixable.
You could switch to the Light version of the theme, when using ReaTune. Ctrl+Alt+PgUp Ctrl+Alt+PgDn, if I remember correctly, in order to cycle around Reaper's themes
Old 07-11-2014, 08:51 AM   #138
Janne83

Quote:

I agree with fladd about the track selection! Actually, I don't like it in the default Reaper theme either! Once you have coloured track backgrounds in various colours and shades, there is almost no way to tell which track is selected just by looking at them! For me, after having "doctored" the contrast of buttons and scrollbar, it is the only important thing that remains to be "fixed". I'll give it a try, but I am afraid I will be swimming into deep Walter waters!..

You could switch to the Light version of the theme, when using ReaTune. Ctrl+Alt+PgUp Ctrl+Alt+PgDn, if I remember correctly, in order to cycle around Reaper's themes
The bg of ReaTune uses the same colors setting as arrange area of tracks. So it was a compromise. You can open the Theme editor in preferences and lighten or darken one of the Track background colors(there is option for odd and even tracks). after youre done just resave the theme in the Theme editor.

As far as selected track option I agree.
The selected track indication is one of those theming areas I always do with my teeth grinding. Its a royal PITA-specially the circle around the track- it gets covered by other elements and not every element has a selected state option- so its a no go because its a mess and looks hideous. Thats why I never use tinted track panels option.

J
Old 07-11-2014, 09:00 AM   #139
henge1

Quote:

My way around that is to have yellow lettering on all highlighted tracks...but it is a compromise.
Old 07-11-2014, 02:46 PM   #140
fladd

Quote:
Originally Posted by henge1 View Post
My way around that is to have yellow lettering on all highlighted tracks...but it is a compromise.
Of course! That sounds like a good idea.
Old 07-11-2014, 03:08 PM   #141
amagalma

It's a good idea, but what if the track is tinted yellow?
Old 07-11-2014, 03:13 PM   #142
fladd

Quote:
Good point. How about chaining the font? Bold, or even larger font for selected track?
Old 07-12-2014, 10:38 AM   #143
Janne83

Quote:
Good point. How about chaining the font? Bold, or even larger font for selected track?
No go unfortunately.
Old 07-12-2014, 11:50 AM   #144
henge1

Quote:
Use any colour but yellow?....
Old 07-25-2014, 01:28 PM   #145
Pasajeromoronmoreno

Default Freeze layouts

Hi! this theme it's awesome, i been use it for several months now, an i love it, many thanks to you for your effort and for sharing jane. The only thing i miss so far is to to have a freeze layout, one for tcp and other for mcp. It's no more than a default track layout with a obvious and visible snowflake or something that diferentiates it from other tracks. The snowflake has to stay, even whit the track minimized. Its something doable? i never use freeze layouts before, in rado vox i see the existenece of them, but never work in my system, they do nothing. A folder layout wold be nice too. it's the same default layout, this time whit a folder icon. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Pasajeromoronmoreno; 07-25-2014 at 01:49 PM.
Pasajeromoronmoreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 02:14 PM   #146
amagalma

Why don't you use track icons instead? Much faster, easier and customizable!
Old 07-25-2014, 02:18 PM   #147
Janne83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasajeromoronmoreno View Post
Hi! this theme it's awesome, i been use it for several months now, an i love it, many thanks to you for your effort and for sharing jane. The only thing i miss so far is to to have a freeze layout, one for tcp and other for mcp. It's no more than a default track layout with a obvious and visible snowflake or something that diferentiates it from other tracks. The snowflake has to stay, even whit the track minimized. Its something doable? i never use freeze layouts before, in rado vox i see the existenece of them, but never work in my system, they do nothing. A folder layout wold be nice too. it's the same default layout, this time whit a folder icon. Thanks in advance.
You would need a script for showing the snowflake image- there is no default option in Reaper for that.

J
Old 07-25-2014, 03:30 PM   #148
Pasajeromoronmoreno

Thanks for the quick respones! Thanks amalgama, im gonna try the track icons indeed, sounds good. And thanks janne, its not that important anyway. The track icons surely can do the job. Anyone knows a set of icons that matches this theme? The ones i have look awfull. i use the dark one.
Pasajeromoronmoreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 10:54 PM   #149
Mind Riot

I've been experimenting with different themes lately and once the wow factor wears off I've found the list of the most functional and practical themes a very short one. And I must say, though I appreciate the merits of many and enjoy working with a few very much, such as Rado V4 and Lerian's Default 2.0, this theme currently occupies my top spot.

It conveys the most information in the simplest and quickest way, makes the best use of available screen real estate, and melds color, form, and function into a beautifully elegant model of efficiency.

I enjoyed your previous work Janne, but this theme is truly exceptional.
Mind Riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 08:26 AM   #150
Steven Jay Cohen

Default Input FX in Mixer?

This applies to both this and your 2014 theme.

I cannot locate the Input FX in any mixer layouts.

Back in your JanneHybrid theme, you had a small button below the volume control that gave access to Input FX.

Am I just missing this in your more recent themes? Or did you not include it for some reason?

If it is not there, would you consider including it?

Thanks,

Steven

AudioTechnica AT4047/SV • Focusrite Scarlett Solo (3rd Gen) • Debian Stable/Testing
Steven Jay Cohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 01:44 PM   #151
Janne83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Jay Cohen View Post
This applies to both this and your 2014 theme.

I cannot locate the Input FX in any mixer layouts.

Back in your JanneHybrid theme, you had a small button below the volume control that gave access to Input FX.

Am I just missing this in your more recent themes? Or did you not include it for some reason?

If it is not there, would you consider including it?

Thanks,

Steven
The fxin button is on the TCP together with the recording input dropdiwn when you record arm a track- On the mixer alternatively you can right click on the meter(or recarm buton) and youll see the input fx chain option in the menu.

Regards J
Old 12-17-2014, 06:36 PM   #152
Rusty Falcon

Completely digging this theme... my 'go-to' for the last six months or more. Nothing else has really grabbed my fancy.

I'm not a theme-maker, so I'm hoping this isn't a silly question...

Is it possible to create different layouts that can use different image files for the meters ? Why ? I'd like my submix tracks to be different than the individual instrument tracks.

Thanks!
Rusty Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 02:58 PM   #153
esosotericmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Falcon View Post
Completely digging this theme... my 'go-to' for the last six months or more. Nothing else has really grabbed my fancy.

Same here... until this: https://stash.reaper.fm/theme/1506/Ja...ReaperThemeZip
esosotericmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 04:02 PM   #154
Gates of Horn & Ivory

Quote:
Originally Posted by esosotericmetal View Post
Janne2015 is excellent. If it weren't for the handful of things Reaper won't let you customize (theme colour definitions shared in weird & unhelpful places, appearance of loop markers, lack of transparency for item peaks, lack of solid lines on the edge of some things...) this theme would look as good as any professional UI. I don't know why Janne hasn't started a thread for it yet.

Btw, toolbar buttons don't highlight for me in JanneUniverse2014 or Janne2015 -- both on this computer and a brand new one. Is this a known issue? I've seen other comments mentioning it.

Also, in Janne2015 the playback rate slider in the transport doesn't show up for me because of my screen width. I preferred it as a dial.
Gates of Horn & Ivory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 04:21 PM   #155
Andy_bt

Quote:
Originally Posted by esosotericmetal View Post
Nice! thanks for this
A.
Andy_bt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 05:56 PM   #156
Rusty Falcon

Cool... dl'ed Janne2015 and will give it a whirl soon.
Rusty Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 12:25 PM   #157
scatman84

Default Please have 'Donate' option for your themes!! :)

Wow!!! Janne83! Your themes rock man!!! Is there any way to 'Donate' some money to you as a gesture of appreciation / Gratitude?

Or you can charge a little amount (Say $2/- maybe more) for your wonderful themes! I would say do it!

Your themes have always been my default themes and I am sure many users have too!! Thanks a lot for sharing your Visual expertise for Reaper with us!
scatman84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 04:20 PM   #158
krahosk

Hi Janne, I love your theme. I was wondering, how can I remove the numbers in the VU meter readout, in both the TCP and MCP?
krahosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 06:45 PM   #159
Janne83

Quote:
Originally Posted by krahosk View Post
Hi Janne, I love your theme. I was wondering, how can I remove the numbers in the VU meter readout, in both the TCP and MCP?
Preferences/Appearance/Track control panel/show db scales...

For peak readout set this two lines in rtconfig(sepaate for each layout):

set tcp.meter.readout.color [0 0 0]

set mcp.meter.readout.color [0 0 0]

J
Old 12-22-2014, 06:46 PM   #160
Janne83

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman84 View Post
Wow!!! Janne83! Your themes rock man!!! Is there any way to 'Donate' some money to you as a gesture of appreciation / Gratitude?

Or you can charge a little amount (Say $2/- maybe more) for your wonderful themes! I would say do it!

Your themes have always been my default themes and I am sure many users have too!! Thanks a lot for sharing your Visual expertise for Reaper with us!
No need for any donations, thanks J