Old 05-26-2015, 06:34 PM   #1
music_scribe
Human being with feelings

Default Defrag or not?

At the risk of opening a can of worms, I'd like to hear some considered input on whether or not one should defrag an audio hard drive. It's been a few years since I've looked into this, and it looks like a few years since any large scale discussion on this forum. Dr. Google still seems equally divided between never, after every session/frequently, and only if you're having problems. I still can't find any real info on whether or not each DAW has any say in the matter.

In my specific case I haven't seen any problems yet. I'm also speaking of an HDD, not SSD, on a Win 7 64 bit machine. I use 3 drives, one each for system/programs, sample libraries, and actual recorded audio files. My question is mainly about the audio files drive. Thoughts?
music_scribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 07:07 PM   #2
grinder

I defrag regularly
Samples drive and Wave files drive both HD
I can give you no definitive reason only that years ago I researched the subject and that was the thing then.

Grinder

https://soundcloud.com/steve-maitland-1
grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 07:35 PM   #3
Fergler

Fragmentation happens from writing and rewriting of files, so for an audio harddrive where mostly the samples remain where they are you likely won't see much difference.

But on an HDD, it can't hurt and I've certainly had performance boosts in the past when I defragged an entire HDD computer after years of letting it build up. Was like night and day.
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 07:39 PM   #4
Time Waster

The only reason not to defrag is if you are worried about data corruption. Defragging physically moves (rewrites) data to a different location the disk. With any writing operation, there is always a small risk of data corruption. presumably, the older the disk, the greater this risk is. Generally the risk is insignificant. Otherwise, the benefits of defragging are faster seek times and less movement of the recording head, so less wear on the device.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:06 PM   #5
karbomusic

No can of worms, knowledge is power.

Windows 7 forward is 100% automatic, leave it that way. The only other exception is that if for some reason you had noncontiguous WAV files which would be solved with contig.exe and the need found by using DiskView both by SysInternals.

However, the fragmentation needs to be at some credible level to cause an actual performance issue. There is a performance counter in windows under physical disk called "Split I/0" that goes high when the head is jumping around too much due to fragmentation. If it is at or near zero, any fragmentation isn't a problem because that counter measures that exact problem.

Summary, if you are a heavy DAW user with lots of files which are being modified often, you can defrag it or run contig.exe to be sure but overall, if you have at least 25% disk space free, it should usually not be an issue because that leaves enough free space for the auto defrag to do it's job when the box is idle.

Remember, Reaper for example is non-destructive, if you record some WAV files, editing them in Reaper for hours on end won't cause them to be fragmented because they aren't being changed.
Old 05-26-2015, 09:01 PM   #6
music_scribe

Thank for the input all. I figured it wasn't something to worry about unless I actually saw problems. My disks are about half full, plenty of room, and I back up in at least 2 places. I'm not sure Win7 defrags totally automatically, it appears mine it set to run every Wednesday at 1am. Can't say I always leave my PC on, but there it is. I also find it interesting that Windows defrag says I have 0% fragmentation while Auslogics DiskDefrag says it's 17%.
music_scribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 07:50 AM   #7
cerendir

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Windows 7 forward is 100% automatic, leave it that way.
So THAT's why both my Win 7 and Win 8 machines start grinding as soon as they're left idle for a while?
Old 05-27-2015, 08:05 AM   #8
heda

defragmenting is essential
Put the folders you are working on at the beginning of the hard disk. then make some free space after it and then the rest of the files. The heads will move less to find the files while you work. Your hard drive will be healthier and faster.

defragmenting a hard drive full of libraries that won't move is also a good idea from time to time... twice a year for example

quote from the mydefrag website: "It will refresh and strengthen the magnetic data on the harddisk by simply reading the (weakened) data and writing it afresh. However, defragmenting and optimizing is work, so excessive defragmenting and optimizing can actually cause more wear and tear than it prevents. "
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 08:12 AM   #9
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerendir View Post
So THAT's why both my Win 7 and Win 8 machines start grinding as soon as they're left idle for a while?
That may be search indexing or similar. I think defrag is an auto scheduled task if memory serves (I misspoke about idle above IIRC). A little history...

Back in "the day" windows defrag was actually a watered down version of Disk keeper. Thusly, some of the functionality such as scheduling it etc. wasn't available in order to not compete with the full version of disk keeper. Back then I had a pretty fancy script that would run every day at 3:00AM and defrag each drive since the built in version of disk keeper didn't offer it.

When it was manual only, there were lots of poorly performing systems due to excessive fragmentation. That problem is nearly nonexistent (comparatively) these days. However, if someone is concerned they can just defrag it manually and be done with it. From an academic standpoint, there are clear measurements that can be taken to know if it is a real issue and I always think real numbers are better than anecdotal evidence. AKA, I don't want to be spinning drives constantly defragging if there is no need and it's fairly easy to know if there is a need.
Old 05-27-2015, 09:56 AM   #10
bennetng

I never defrag since using XP and win7. Noticeable disk slowdown only happens when the disk itself is already busy but I still trying to do some disk intensive works or the disk is nearly full. I even disabled auto defrag in task scheduler.
bennetng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 09:58 AM   #11
Headshot

The best "defrag" method, is to move all data to another drive. Format the drive you want to defrag and then move the data back to the drive. The perfect defrag.
Headshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 09:59 AM   #12
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headshot View Post
The best "defrag" method, is to move all data to another drive. Format the drive you want to defrag and then move the data back to the drive. The perfect defrag.
It is... if you have the time, that is the perfect defrag.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:24 AM   #13
cyrano

Quote:
Originally Posted by heda View Post
quote from the mydefrag website: "It will refresh and strengthen the magnetic data on the harddisk by simply reading the (weakened) data and writing it afresh. However, defragmenting and optimizing is work, so excessive defragmenting and optimizing can actually cause more wear and tear than it prevents. "
That's only valid if you buy Monster cable and are able to hear the difference in sound from different harddisks...

Modern disk formats do not need to be defragged. In fact, you can't even defrag HFS+ or NTFS.

As long as you don't fill up the disk completely, you should never see fragmentation. If you have filled a (system) disk completely, you're in trouble anyway, but not because of fragmentation.

In very rare cases, backing up to an external disk and deleting on the source disk until you have enough space is a good method. After moving the files, shut the machine down to make sure journals have been written. Start up again and let the machine on overnight. It will defragment/prioritize files itself.

If you're running XP on a smallish FAT formatted disk, you will see fragmentation if you produce and delete a lot of stuff. But you shouldn't be running a system from a FAT disk anyway. It's 0.2% faster because it lacks ALL of the protection.
cyrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 10:38 AM   #14
The Buddha Rats

It's recommended that all non-solid state drives get defragged. Probably once a month is a good place to start. It really all depends on usage.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:45 AM   #15
Jeffsounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Buddha Rats View Post
It's recommended that all non-solid state drives get defragged. Probably once a month is a good place to start. It really all depends on usage.
Even if defrag says it is not needed?
Old 05-27-2015, 11:09 AM   #16
whiteaxxxe
Banned

you only need to defrag a drive if you write and change the files on it often.

if - like said - you have a drive full of samples that are only read, you dont need to defrag.

simple solution is: start a defragging and see what the defrag-program says. the program tells you how the stat of fragmentation is on your drive.

and that is simply all to the story ...
whiteaxxxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 11:13 AM   #17
whiteaxxxe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by heda View Post

defragmenting a hard drive full of libraries that won't move is also a good idea from time to time... twice a year for example

honestly? I think that is big bs. but the companies need to make stuff up to sell their programs.

but very creative ... I have to admit that.
whiteaxxxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 11:19 AM   #18
cerendir

Quote:
That may be search indexing or similar. I think defrag is an auto scheduled task if memory serves (I misspoke about idle above IIRC). A little history...
I've always had indexing off on both machines so that can't be it. I've always wondered what the heck they are doing but never been able to find a clear answer. Normally it's the csrss.exe process that starts to chug away with tons and tons on disk I/O after a short time of idling, maybe 15-20 minutes.

Come to think of it, it can't be defragmenting either, because if I load up the Windows defragmenter (or a third party app like Defraggler) I can clearly see that fragmentation is happening despite the constant churning of my hdd's.

Sorry for the OT, your statement about automatic defragging just got me thinking.
Old 05-27-2015, 12:41 PM   #19
bluzkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
In fact, you can't even defrag HFS+ or NTFS.
I don't think this is quite right... got any references to back up this statement?

Old 05-27-2015, 01:00 PM   #20
cerendir

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluzkat View Post
I don't think this is quite right... got any references to back up this statement?

nope, that can't be right.
Old 05-27-2015, 01:34 PM   #21
karbomusic

Quote:
I've always had indexing off on both machines so that can't be it. I've always wondered what the heck they are doing but never been able to find a clear answer. Normally it's the csrss.exe process that starts to chug away with tons and tons on disk I/O after a short time of idling, maybe 15-20 minutes.

Come to think of it, it can't be defragmenting either, because if I load up the Windows defragmenter (or a third party app like Defraggler) I can clearly see that fragmentation is happening despite the constant churning of my hdd's.

Sorry for the OT, your statement about automatic defragging just got me thinking.
It can be about anything but you can easily find out by running procmon.exe from SysInternals. My guess is that it is multiple things. And turn that indexing back on unless you like waiting forever for searches to complete.
Old 05-27-2015, 01:42 PM   #22
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteaxxxe View Post
you only need to defrag a drive if you write and change the files on it often.

if - like said - you have a drive full of samples that are only read, you dont need to defrag.

Right, only delete, modifications and writes can cause fragmentation and it's really too easy to know if you need to defrag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteaxxxe View Post
honestly? I think that is big bs. but the companies need to make stuff up to sell their programs.

but very creative ... I have to admit that.
It is kinda BS and kinda not, it's real but not the thing that makes "all the difference". Besides any defrag starts refragging itself again at the very first modification of any file. By packing everything together you just guaranteed the next modification that results in a larger or smaller file creates fragments.

The point is that this is the thing for hair splitters to have fun with, the efficient thing to do is actually look at the IO and access times and know if you are taking a performance hit that even matters. Or better yet, let the OS take care of it unless you can prove it is a real issue that you can measure. If your drive is jumping all over the platter constantly and files are severely fragmented, it's a problem, if there are a few percentage points of fragmentation the time is spent better worrying about other things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluzkat View Post

Quote:
nope, that can't be right.
It isn't. He may be mistaking NTFS the file system with various parts of that system such as the journal etc. I'd have to go back and find the specifics but you can defrag data on NTFS all day long since all it is doing is moving blocks of data around. The journal and other NTFS meta data may be more troublesome or need to be done at boot time, don't remember.

Here is a scenario that could lead to fragmentation that would be noticeable. Recording take after take after take and deleting bad ones and retaking and tracking say for a day or few. This could potentially and easily create lots of fragments. However, as mentioned newer OS's are going to clean that up overnight anyway so it isn't typically going to be an issue.

Last edited by karbomusic; 05-27-2015 at 01:51 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 01:45 PM   #23
cerendir

Quote:
It can be about anything but you can easily find out by running procmon.exe from SysInternals. My guess is that it is multiple things. And turn that indexing back on unless you like waiting forever for searches to complete.
I've been a Total (previously Windows) Commander user for 15 years or so. I've never noticed that my file searches take more than 30 seconds tops.
Old 05-27-2015, 02:03 PM   #24
karbomusic

Quote:
I've been a Total (previously Windows) Commander user for 15 years or so. I've never noticed that my file searches take more than 30 seconds tops.
Disk is disk so it takes more time to search each file on a disk than to search an index However.... If you can find a file in the presence of several million across several multi-terabyte drive in 30 seconds, you win, no argument from me.
Old 05-27-2015, 02:34 PM   #25
Wolffman

I just had a hard drive die which i had to have data retrieval experts retrieve for me, cost me a packet.

Anyhow, i spoke to him about my new hard drive and wether or not to drfrag and he said it wasn't necessary anymore because the new hard drives have some sort of built in file management system.

He basically said the new drives organise themselves and defraging could actually make things worse until the drive sorted itself out again.

This was for a brand new drive, i'm not sure when this sort of tech was implemented on hard drives, to be honest i'm not really too interested as long as it works

Older drives will benifit from defraging though.

Cheers

https://soundcloud.com/wolffman7
Wolffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 03:55 PM   #26
Banned

For non-SSD drives, for recording workflows maintaining a sufficiently large amount of non-fragmented free space is perhaps much more important than keeping the entire filesystem defragmented.

And if you need to play back (large) audio files during live workflows (performances, installations, theatre), it may make sense defragment those files individually.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolffman View Post
Anyhow, i spoke to him about my new hard drive and wether or not to drfrag and he said it wasn't necessary anymore because the new hard drives have some sort of built in file management system.

He basically said the new drives organise themselves and defraging could actually make things worse until the drive sorted itself out again.

This was for a brand new drive, i'm not sure when this sort of tech was implemented on hard drives, to be honest i'm not really too interested as long as it works

Older drives will benifit from defraging though.
I guess if you interpret "new" as SSD and "old" as non-SSD, it's just a somewhat poor explanation of a basic truth.
Old 05-28-2015, 12:57 AM   #27
Wolffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned View Post
I guess if you interpret "new" as SSD and "old" as non-SSD, it's just a somewhat poor explanation of a basic truth.
He was specific about my new HD which is not an SSD drive, its a typical 7200 speed 64 mb cache 1TB HD, Hitachi ( i Think )anyhow i'm going to take his word for it as he is the HD expert and all, and i know jack about how HD's actually work or what sort of tech they use to organise the files.

I'm just passing on what i was told only a couple of weeks back by a hard drive data retrieval expert, i can only assume he knows what he's talking about.

Cheers

https://soundcloud.com/wolffman7

Last edited by Wolffman; 05-28-2015 at 01:02 AM.
Wolffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 10:22 AM   #28
The Buddha Rats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffsounds View Post
Even if defrag says it is not needed?
I don't defrag unless it's over 20% and my performance is sluggish, if that helps.