Old 09-24-2014, 08:03 AM   #1
endgroove
Human being with feelings

Default Moving Items

I'd like to be able to move, insert, or drag and drop and item and have the item fall wherever the play-cursor happens to be when I first initiated the move. So:

• Move item to play-cursor
• Insert item at play-cursor or
• Drag and drop item at play-cursor

**While the play-cursor is moving**

Is this possible with the current release of Reaper? In other words am I just blind and can't find the feature?

Alternatively (and maybe this is a question for a different thread) Could this feature be scripted using Reascript/Python?

Thanks for any and all thoughts on the matter.
endgroove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 09:06 AM   #2
g8torcliff

I don't know if its possible or not but it seems like it would be pretty difficult since the cursor is continuously moving.

cliff
g8torcliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 11:49 AM   #3
endgroove

Yeah, doesn't appear to be an explicit feature. The closest thing I've been able to dig up is the "set" aspect of the nudge/set dialog which has a "get cursor" [position] button. This crabs the current position of the play cursor. That said this requires two steps:

1) get cursor
2) apply move

I have to think that this is doable in one step, or in any case if scripted: 2 steps, one immediately followed by the other. I'd like to be able to select an item, hit a key and have the item move to where the cursor was when I hit the key.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:03 PM   #4
Tim Ragnur

How about this:

Xenakios/SWS: Store edit cursor position
View: Move edit cursor to play cursor
Xenakios/SWS: Move selected items to edit cursor
Xenakios/SWS: Recall edit cursor position
Tim Ragnur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 01:48 PM   #5
endgroove

Thanks Tim,

Good stuff.

I'm interested in the position of the play cursor rather than the edit cursor. Although the "View: Move edit cursor to play cursor" action is in principal doing what I need (only in this case to the edit cursor, not a media item)

I hope the following Reascript functions will get me going in the right direction:

[GetPlayPosition]
[ApplyNudge]
or [SetMediaItemPosition]
Old 09-24-2014, 02:21 PM   #6
Tim Ragnur

If you make a custom action with the above, in practice this will move selected item to play position…
Tim Ragnur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 07:07 AM   #7
endgroove

Tim,

Brilliant. Thanks!

Every time this app is revealed to me a little further I'm blown away at flexible it is.

Thanks very much
Old 09-25-2014, 08:15 AM   #8
endgroove

So interestingly the "Move Selected Items to Edit Cursor" has the somewhat unexpected behavior of sending the beginning of all selected items to the edit cursor -

This behavior makes a lot of sense if you're selecting items across tracks and you need them all aligned at the edit cursor The preferable behavior (for my purposes) would be sending them as a group where their relative start times are preserved.

Also, it would be great if moving an item with an action respected the ripple edit state so that for instance using "Move Selected Items to Edit Cursor" caused markers to follow, or for that matter caused items further down the timeline to follow moved items earlier in the timeline. This way I could just choose the first item in a series, hit my custom action and have all subsequent items and markers follow suit (while of course preserving relative positions).

Doable?

---------------------

Edit: Move Position of Item to Edit Cursor fixes the relative position problem, and respects the ripple edit state, but markers do not follow…

---------------------

Edit: Markers did not follow for a single track for some reason. Adding a second track caused markers to follow.

Last edited by endgroove; 09-25-2014 at 10:40 AM.