Old 09-18-2014, 11:02 AM   #1
ahs
Human being with feelings

Default sending sequencer to multiple vsts

i have a seq in a fx track and 2 vst instruments after the seq. but i can hear only one vst instrument !?
i try to route to more channels but doesn't help.
i also want to have a fx per vst instrument !?
ahs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 11:44 AM   #2
gofer
-blänk-

While it's possible (and tempting) to do it all on a single track, it's much easier and more versatile to create extra tracks for each of your instruments. Use sends (make sure they are set to send MIDI) to get the MIDI from the sequencer track to the instrument tracks. That way you can process and mix the instruments independently without divinging into the in/out pin-connector maze.

The problem you are facing is that the first VSTi "eats" the MIDI it receives and doesn't pass it through to the next VSTi. There is a super well hidden feature to get a duplicate of the MIDI around the hungry plugin. Read the "treasure map" part of this recent post: http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...6&postcount=27 (it's about Kontakt, but works for all MIDI eating plugins).
But really it saves lots of hair to just use multiple tracks .

Last edited by gofer; 09-18-2014 at 11:56 AM.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 01:27 PM   #3
ahs

yep,

does not work !
even i have two seq. with different midi buses i hear only one instrument
Old 09-18-2014, 01:39 PM   #4
ahs

my 1st setup
1) reaktor sequencer (merge with midi bus)
2) 1st instrument
3) 2nd instrument

my 2nd try
1) reaktor sequencer sending on midi bus 1 (replace midi bus default)
2) reaktor sequencer sending on midi bus 2 (replace midi bus default)
3) 1st instrument receiving midi bus 1
4) 2nd instrument receiving midi bus 2
i hear only one instrumen but the 2nd receive misi information
Old 09-18-2014, 01:42 PM   #5
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahs View Post
i have a seq in a fx track and 2 vst instruments after the seq. but i can hear only one vst instrument !?
i try to route to more channels but doesn't help.
i also want to have a fx per vst instrument !?
Hi ahs, this is pretty vague as to what your setup is or exactly what you're trying to do?

If you have a midi track and want to send it to two VSTi tracks, what I'd do is have at least 3 tracks.

Track 1: Midi track.
Track 2: VSTi #1.
Track 3: VSTi #2.

Then just create/add two sends on the Midi track, one going to the VSTi #1 track and the other to the VSTi #2 track.

I'm assuming you already know how to add the sends.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 02:00 PM   #6
gofer
-blänk-

Your first setup should work with a small change: The "Merge with MIDI bus" would need to be not on Reaktor sequencer, but on 1st instrument. That's the one that eats.

The second setup can probably be made to work as well with some changes, but I'd need to massively toy around with it - I never use the bus feature, it really is made with Rewire setups in mind and that we can use it to trigger instruments independently is more a by-product. And, if you use two sequencers, each triggering an instrument, what's the benefit in pressing it all into a single track?

BUT

Really, do as Tod says (as I tried to propose in my previous reply as well) Use multiple tracks. Your neurons will thank you for much less hazzle, seriously.

- Let's say the sequencer on track 1.
- One instrument on track 2
- another instrument on track 3.
- Create a send from track 1 (sequencer) to track 2 (VSTi 1) and set it up to send MIDI.
- Create another send from track 1 (sequencer) to track 3 (VSTi 2). Set it to send MIDI as well.

Now your sequencer should trigger both instruments. You can put additional FX plugins after each instrument and clearly see which signal goes through which FX. You can mix levels and pans with fancy faders and knobs right in the mixer (or in arrange view if you like that more). You can send both instrument to yet another track to give them a common FX, like a reverb.

Lots less traps to run into, less brain power to burn and lots of benefits. It's just better in every way.
Old 09-18-2014, 02:05 PM   #7
vanhaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahs View Post
my 1st setup
1) reaktor sequencer (merge with midi bus)
2) 1st instrument
3) 2nd instrument

my 2nd try
1) reaktor sequencer sending on midi bus 1 (replace midi bus default)
2) reaktor sequencer sending on midi bus 2 (replace midi bus default)
3) 1st instrument receiving midi bus 1
4) 2nd instrument receiving midi bus 2
i hear only one instrumen but the 2nd receive misi information
What Reaktor sequencer are you actually using if i may ask ?
If i know that, i can try to replicate what you want.
vanhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 02:34 PM   #8
ahs

spiral
Old 09-18-2014, 02:37 PM   #9
ahs

@gofer

Your first setup should work with a small change: The "Merge with MIDI bus" would need to be not on Reaktor sequencer, but on 1st instrument. That's the one that eats.

nope
does not work
Old 09-18-2014, 02:43 PM   #10
vanhaze

Aha..

I wonder how exactly you have setup Spiral to send midi out on 2 different midi channels ..(?)
I just opened Spiral in Reaktor and can't see any midi channel assignments possibilities ..

Did you go "under the hood" in Spiral ?? (Into Edit Mode) to make that happen ?

Sorry, i am a total Reaktor noob when it comes to editing Ensembles.
Old 09-18-2014, 02:44 PM   #11
gofer
-blänk-

@ ahs:
Does work here (can't try with reaktor, but that's almost impossible to be the culprit). If you still insist on doing it on one track - for whatever reason I don't get - we need more info, because there's something else off. Maybe while trying stuff with busses and channels and stuff you left something in an inappropriate setting.

PLEASE (!!!) save us and yourself lots of time and nerves and do try the multiple track solution.
Old 09-18-2014, 02:50 PM   #12
ahs

i use the multiple track solution but i try to know everything in reaper because it's there ! ;-)
or why it's build in ? not to use the possibility
Old 09-18-2014, 02:59 PM   #13
gofer
-blänk-

Ok, I can absolutely relate to that . Enquiring minds need to know. I thought you want results first and foremost.

Maybe start from scratch in a fresh project. Might help. The method as such works, promise.

I won't be able to help much with adding FX plugins to the individual VSTi once you've got them to sound. That's to do with the in/out pin connectors, and channel mixer/merger plugins. I just never really made my feet wet with that, as I often lay down projects for some weeks or more and need to quickly see what's going on when I get back at them. Barely possible when too much stuff is crammed into a track, as long as there is no place to see all the routing inside an FX chain.

As of why is it built in when people recommend to do it another way:
It's all a result of having very flexible routing possibilities between track channels. As I understand it these channels and the routing are needed in Reaper first and foremost for multichannel audio (simple example: 5.1 audio files), side chaining, multi-output instrument plugins and such stuff. It's not explicitely built in to do the kind of routing you want here - it just allows for it. Very much like the MIDI bus feature which was built for ReWire (to allow for more than 16 channels of MIDI over ReWire, as the ReWire specs allows more) but can be used for insane in-a-track MIDI routings that are in practice better solved using more tracks.

Last edited by gofer; 09-18-2014 at 03:16 PM.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:06 PM   #14
Tod

Humm oops, heh heh, when you said sequencer I thought you were talking about the Midi Editor, sorry about that.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:42 PM   #15
gofer
-blänk-

Makes no real difference where the MIDI is coming from, Tod. Your answer was good .
Our fellow ahs is the experimental kind of guy and that's excellent, too. I'm sure if he perseveres, he'll get it all to work on one track. I'm like him, I needed to struggle through and get it to work as well, just so I know it does the trick before I could finally calm down and use the easy way.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:49 PM   #16
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
Makes no real difference where the MIDI is coming from, Tod. Your answer was good .
Our fellow ahs is the experimental kind of guy and that's excellent, too. I'm sure if he perseveres, he'll get it all to work on one track. I'm like him, I needed to struggle through and get it to work as well, just so I know it does the trick before I could finally calm down and use the easy way.
Okay, thanks gofer, I guess being an old fart makes me a little old fashioned so I have the tendency to take the easy way.

Edit: I haven't even tried checking out the midi buss system in Reaper.

I didn't know about the Right/Click on the Pin Connectors. That's good to know.

Last edited by Tod; 09-18-2014 at 03:54 PM.
Old 09-20-2014, 03:31 AM   #17
ahs

@gofer or la linea ;-)

yes, i am on the experimental side. i love to have a kyma system but the price tag !!!
so i am very happy with anything i can program, randomize or time stretch.
on the weekend i have time to investigate further my problem !
Old 09-20-2014, 03:48 AM   #18
vanhaze

You still haven't answered my question about how do you have Spiral setup to send out midi on more than one channel.
I think this can be a viral part of why it doesn't work for you.
As said already, my believe is that Spiral only sends out on only 1 midi channel.
That would explain why it doesnt work for you.
Again, i could be completely wrong, but i just want to make sure.
Old 09-20-2014, 05:05 AM   #19
ahs

i have nothing changed in spiral
i checked the midi bus settings and all vsti intruments receiving on midi bus 1 and spiral is sending on midibus 1
but if i untick the vst instruments i can hear them but not all togehter

Last edited by ahs; 09-20-2014 at 05:14 AM.