Old 03-06-2009, 01:56 PM   #1
wiresix
Human being with feelings

Default looking into a new interface

so check it out, my band is thinking about dropping $400 on a cheap 3 track EP. I've been doing home recording stuff for years and am currently taking a class for it so I'm thinking we might be able to pull a better mix out of our butts if we're smart, and pluss we could track anytime we want which would be nice. I'm currently only running a 2 channel system.

I just built a mega machine of a computer, quad core, 1066 ddr2 dual channel, ect, ect... so it would be nice to put it to use.

just to mic my drums I need at least 8 channels. that's easy enough to find in an interface. however, my band doesn't like to track sepperately. (give me a metronome, and I'm good to go, but I guess everyone is different) this means I need 12 ins to do it right

one thing I was looking at was the TASCAM US-1641. it has 8 pre's and another 6 line ins, which is cool cause I already have 6 channels of tube pre's I could plug in there. the problem is that it's USB I've used one USB interface before, and trying to overdub with the latency issue was just plain stupid. I also wonder how well you can send 14 channels of 24/96 over a usb cable.

what do you guys think? is the latency issue easy to work around? if so how? is it worth going in on?

I'm open to other suggestions!
wiresix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 02:19 PM   #2
drybij

I've not recorded any more than two tracks at a time with a usb interface but my M-Audio FastTrack Pro does pretty well for personal recording and composition.

To my 'real' recording computer I have attached a Mackie Onyx 1604 with Firewire intfc. I had read somewhere in the forums that Firewire is more suited for sustained data transfers, whereas usb is more suited for short bursts. I'm not too sure how true this is, but I can tell you that my FW interface has worked flawlessly.

Considering that, maybe a Phonic board, a low-priced mixer with similar features to the Mackie would be handy.
drybij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 02:58 PM   #3
maa

there are several negativ threads about it in German - its quite old too it seems. I know Motu has been dumping off there USB devices cheap on ebay too.

Heres a german report:
http://www.amazona.de/index.php?page...rticle_id=1594

My tip - go motu firewire or PCI

Cheers

maa
maa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 09:25 PM   #4
hux

I dunno, man. Unless you hae a really nice setup it's real tough to get clean tracks in a live situation - even with unlimited input channels.

Honestly, I would:

Close mic the drums in as much isolation as you can get
set up a room mic or two as well
DI the bass out the back of the amp

Play the song live, recording only drums and bass

track the guitars and vocals after the fact

Unless you have iso booths or something yer gonna have a real hard time getting clean tracks doing it live..the drums are gonna bleed all into yer guitar tracks, yer vocal tracks will have everything in them, etc, etc, etc

Speaking of that, I guess yer gonna need a hella machine to record all those tracks at once? Or are you gonna submix the drums to a couple of tracks?

I guess it really depends on what kind of room(s) you have to isolate everything..?

annyways, I've been real happy with my Line 6 UX2, which has a couple XLR inputs as well as a couple line in's and instrument in's. Cheap, relatively, for around 200. I guess there are similar products out there.

Last edited by hux; 03-06-2009 at 09:27 PM.
hux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 10:06 PM   #5
bigwoody

I use a Delta 1010LT soundcard which gives me 8 inputs and multiple outs. I just use a standard mixer for the pre's and grab the signal out of each channel send pre fader. I send an out from the 1010 back to the mixer and and put in on a separate bus for monitoring and that way I get zero latency for overdubing. I have been using this configuration for over 2 years with zero problems. Usually the most I do at one time are drum tracks where 8 is enough. There are others here that are running two 1010's together which would give you 16 simo tracks if you have the PCI slots available.
Old 03-07-2009, 01:27 AM   #6
Wolffman

I'm not sure what your budget is ( $400 the cost of your 3 song ep ?) or something more.
If your budget is $400 ignore the rest of this post.

I highly recommend the RME fireface 400 ( firewire ) and a behringer ada8000, the ff400 has 2 mic pres & 6 line ins for the 6 tube mic pre's you already have.
Then the ada 8000 has 8 mic pres via lightpipe for a total of 16 ins and at least 8 outs.
while some people aren't fond of behringer products my ada8000 has worked perfectly and seems fine for tracking drums.

Not sure of the cost of a ff400 in your town ( part of the world ) but both my ff400 & ada 8000 cost $1700 ausie, and so far has been 100% trouble free ( about 18 mounths old now ) and i've used this setup with REAPER onsome 12+ hour tracking sessions absoutly trouble free, that alone makes it worth every cent in my opinion.

Just some food for thought.

Cheers

https://soundcloud.com/wolffman7
Wolffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 01:23 PM   #7
wiresix

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwoody View Post
I use a Delta 1010LT soundcard which gives me 8 inputs and multiple outs. I just use a standard mixer for the pre's and grab the signal out of each channel send pre fader. I send an out from the 1010 back to the mixer and and put in on a separate bus for monitoring and that way I get zero latency for overdubing. I have been using this configuration for over 2 years with zero problems. Usually the most I do at one time are drum tracks where 8 is enough. There are others here that are running two 1010's together which would give you 16 simo tracks if you have the PCI slots available.

I'm kind of staying away from the 1010LT because it's not balanced, and for one reason or another I get a heap of noise in non-balanced cables. (a whole nother problem)

that is cool though what your doing. it's totally a miniture recording consol you got going on there. tell me, do you run VSTs ect... and then mix down to two track using your board's faders? sounds like fun!
wiresix is offline   Reply With Quote