Old 10-22-2015, 11:54 AM   #1
musicbynumbers
Human being with feelings

Default v5.05pre8b - October 22 2015

v5.05pre8b - October 22 2015
# Media Explorer: tons of speed optimizations/improvements

+ Action dialog: use logical description sorting
+ Actions: add toggles for ripple per-track and all tracks
+ JS: improve parameter text editing behavior (enter to commit)
+ JSFX: support __memtop() builtin function to query script memory size
+ JSFX: support options: maxmem=xyz up to about 32 million items
+ Mouse modifiers: add context for stretch marker double click
+ OSX: disable various drawing optimizations on 10.11+
+ Project bay: use logical sorting
+ ReaScript: support __memtop() builtin function in EEL to query script memory size
+ ReaVerb: support prompting for test tone when deconvolving on OSX [t=74360]
# Media Explorer: support BPM metadata
# Media Explorer: support KEY metadata
# Media explorer: optimize database memory use
# Optimize project/undo history reading, parsing
# Stretch markers: reorganize mouse modifiers slightly to highlight rate envelope behavior
# Super8: use new maxmem= and __memtop() functions to allow longer loops

Last edited by musicbynumbers; 10-22-2015 at 05:33 PM.
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 01:04 PM   #2
PitchSlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
# Media Explorer: support BPM metadata
# Media Explorer: support KEY metadata
This would definitely be more of a creative/experimental feature, but seeing how useful tempo-match is, why not key-match?

Add a field for key in the project settings dialog (which would be nice anyway for embedding with tempo in BWF exports), then have an option for the Media Explorer to auto-match the key of previewing media to the project based on the filename or metadata.

A basic mode would shift to the exact project key (maybe leave relative major/minor, +/- fifths alone), and a more advanced mode could use the circle of fifths (i.e. "Camelot Code") for harmonic compatibility and more musically varied results that avoid drastic pitch-shifting...

Old 10-22-2015, 01:47 PM   #3
Modular

Great stuff dev, loving where this is all going.
Would be great if we could analyse the key and tempo too
Also while we are on media explorer stuff, I would love it if we could create a database from search results.

Example: search for impact samples, then create database from results, name database impacts = happy days
Old 10-22-2015, 02:07 PM   #4
creal

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitchSlap View Post
This would definitely be more of a creative/experimental feature, but seeing how useful tempo-match is, why not key-match?

Add a field for key in the project settings dialog (which would be nice anyway for embedding with tempo in BWF exports), then have an option for the Media Explorer to auto-match the key of previewing media to the project based on the filename or metadata.

A basic mode would shift to the exact project key (maybe leave relative major/minor, +/- fifths alone), and a more advanced mode could use the circle of fifths (i.e. "Camelot Code") for harmonic compatibility and more musically varied results that avoid drastic pitch-shifting...

This pre-release makes me very happy.

Thank you devs for the mouse modifier and the BPM/Key metadata.

I totally agree with PitchSlap, and I have three comments :

1) the columns in the media explorer (in explorer mode) are not saved, and each time I launch Reaper I have to choice once again the BPM column. Maybe it would be more handy to store the user "columns config"

2) I'm not a scripter, but I wonder if it was possible to add tag values in API functions for lua. For example, we could have "GetTBPMSourceMediaFromItem"; so that it will be possible to script, using the actual BPM converter (by Xraym), some lines to change instantaneously the item rate so that the BPM of its source file matches the BPM project

3) since we are in a "media explorer" mood, maybe a good thing would be to edit some tags of the source medias directly from the item properties (and by using the project bay)

Sorry for my english, and you will maybe find that it's not important, but I wanted to say that. For example, it would be useful for the DJ's.

Thank you.
creal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 03:45 PM   #5
vitalker

Default REAPER hangs up after choosing WASAPI Exclusive as Audio device

http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...3&postcount=49
vitalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 05:04 PM   #6
Argitoth

Quote:
v5.05pre8b - October 22 2015
# Media Explorer: tons of speed optimizations/improvements
first time I captured something before anyone else.
Old 10-22-2015, 05:55 PM   #7
Argitoth

HAELL YES, PRAISE BE!
Old 10-22-2015, 11:02 PM   #8
planetnine

Double-click context includes "Reset Stretch marker rate to 1.0" -that's an old request of mine, thank you devs!

...and I can run stretch mrker scripts from double-click too, useful shortcut, thank you.

Edit: I've always thought it would be better if the "Shortcut" sort order in the actions list could include a base-key-centric sort mode, ie "A" followed by all its modified versions, "B" followed by its modifiers, etc. This in addition to the normal ascending/descending modes. This would make it easier for users to manage shortcuts and modifiers as they could be visually grouped -I did wonder if that's what was meant by "Logical sorting" for the ations list.

>

Last edited by planetnine; 10-22-2015 at 11:13 PM.
planetnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 01:07 AM   #9
musicbynumbers

Default Project bay: Can't search in folders.

Since this pre has a lot to do with searching.

Please consider adding the ability to the project bay that the filter function can look/search inside of the folders you've created there as if you have everything all nice and tidy in folders. The filter does nothing.

I guess you could argue that it's a "filter" not a "search" but it would be awesome if it could peak inside folders.

Also, would any of the database improvements be able to used when you load up a bay again for the first time as if you have created quite a big bay (to say collect up your favourite sfx in one place) then it can take a while to load it up and I'm hoping the database improvements could help here?)
Old 10-23-2015, 01:25 AM   #10
musicbynumbers

Default media explorer: few column based bugs.

Mention one of these before but found another.

1. "genre" column doesn't hide when unticked in a database. It merely shrinks it's width to 0 but is still there. (strange?) (I found this out as I tried to resize the BWF/metadata column)

2. big one.. Switching from a window explorer setup shortcut in media explorer to a database clears the column order and widths.

(side note: If there was a way to get copy and paste into the built in reaper media explorer view, I reckon I could abandon using the "use windows explorer" option here for good!)
Old 10-23-2015, 01:29 AM   #11
Thalamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetnine View Post
Double-click context includes "Reset Stretch marker rate to 1.0" -that's an old request of mine, thank you devs!
>

This seems a bit hit-and-miss at the moment. It's far easier to successfully double-click the right-hand portion of the stretch marker. The left, bit of a bugger!
Thalamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 03:56 AM   #12
airon

Database performance with about 127000 files is pretty good. It updates within a second or two as I type in.

Happy camper.

Sidenote. I wrote a script to activate and arm all fx parameters on selected tracks (find it here). The problem is that as soon as I want to write to the envelopes, to make establish values at the end of the session for example, Reaper wants to display all those envelopes. This took a rather long time when I did this with 100 tracks of one ReaEQ+ReaComp.

So, let's have that option. Don't show me envelopes when they get activated and/or armed. Please .

Or just give us an action and some GUI stuff to do all this activation stuff quickly, while keeping Reaper from helping us out with a display of 4400 envelopes (100 tracks of 8band ReaEQ+ReaComp).
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 06:50 AM   #13
Thalamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
Database performance with about 127000 files is pretty good. It updates within a second or two as I type in.

It's faster, for sure .. but the updating search interrupts the typing which is not good.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:21 AM   #14
Thalamus

If you try altering the very first stretch marker (with pitch preserve toggled off) something crazy happens .. the item gets super-long.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:54 AM   #15
Jeffos
Mortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalamus View Post
It's faster, for sure .. but the updating search interrupts the typing which is not good.
Make sure you're using pre8b, not pre8: there are 2 important fixes in there.

Also, not sure I understand but, for the record, in pre8+ a subfolder/metadata search isn't restarted anymore while typing (it keeps going on behind the scene, only the displayed results are changing...).
Jeffos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 02:20 PM   #16
IXix

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
+ JSFX: support __memtop() builtin function to query script memory size
+ JSFX: support options: maxmem=xyz up to about 32 million items
Nice
IXix is offline   Reply With Quote