Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 06-04-2015, 02:25 PM   #81
X-Raym
Human being with feelings

@Soli Deo Gloria
Currently trying some stuff with ripple midi note from edges :
FR: Ripple Editing in MIDI Editor — post 12

X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 06:37 PM   #82
Soli Deo Gloria

Wow! You and your scripting colleagues are really on the cutting edge of Reaperīs unofficial development! I deeply admire your work, really!

Thanks so much!!
Soli Deo Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 03:01 AM   #83
innuendo

Just wanted to say that though I practically do not use midi at all at this time, seeing this bug list is a little scary, and will make me think as soon as I have the need for midi. As someone here already mentioned, this also affects which daw I recommend to new users.
innuendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 07:22 AM   #84
Tod

Hi Soli, I've got another little gripe I'd like to see changed that I know at least a few others have mentioned also.

In the ME when I click on the time line to place the cursor, many times it also creates a very small time selection. This happens a lot.

Now maybe some of this could be contributed to a little sloppiness on my part but really and truly we could use a little more room for placing the cursor. I don't know what it is now, but it must be a very few pixels. I think just a couple of more pixels on both sides of the cursor would help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by innuendo View Post
Just wanted to say that though I practically do not use midi at all at this time, seeing this bug list is a little scary, and will make me think as soon as I have the need for midi. As someone here already mentioned, this also affects which daw I recommend to new users.
Hi innuendo, I wouldn't take all this griping to mean that Reapers midi is bad. It can certainly be improved but it's not useless by any means.

What you're not seeing here, are any of the things that are good about Reapers midi. There are things I can do with Reaper that simply can't be done with any other DAW.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 07:55 AM   #85
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Hi Soli, I've got another little gripe I'd like to see changed that I know at least a few others have mentioned also.

In the ME when I click on the time line to place the cursor, many times it also creates a very small time selection. This happens a lot.

Now maybe some of this could be contributed to a little sloppiness on my part but really and truly we could use a little more room for placing the cursor. I don't know what it is now, but it must be a very few pixels. I think just a couple of more pixels on both sides of the cursor would help.
Perhaps we need an adjustable "user sloppiness" setting in Preferences?

More seriously, this list isn't for "little gripes" - but while I think that this type of issue is (or at least can be) very important for a good workflow, I would still categorize such issues under the "GUI" header rather than "MIDI".

Btw, in several other places, REAPER has the opposite issue: if you *don't* move the pointer by at least one pixel while clicking more than once within a given time interval, REAPER may behave differently or even refuse to perform some action (which may frustrate rapid editing, especially with pointer devices like trackpads the GUI may feel quite retarded):

Old 06-05-2015, 09:11 AM   #86
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned View Post
Perhaps we need an adjustable "user sloppiness" setting in Preferences?
There yah go...
Old 06-08-2015, 11:43 AM   #87
LugNut

Hi Mink, Banned, Tod, Soli, all,

Sorry if this is a bit off topic, but here is a brief explanation of what I said earlier about my Studio Clock.

It was made by aphex in the 90s. I used it live..I'm a drummer..duh..with an mpc 60,acoustic drums with triggers on em. And a 4 way pad where the 2 tom would be.
All the keyboard, strings, hornz,perc, stuff like that was seq in mpc.

To start a song, I would hit one of the pads...and stick click sound would come out....at the tempo I wanted. Then the SC would track audio from my kik AND snare and put out midi clock w start.

Fast forward to present day. Reason is the only daw I've tried that will do this. I've tried Reaper, logic, sonar..all no go. I mean start and run in syncAND play its internal sounds. VST, Reason instruments. You know what I mean.^^

Sorry for ot, but i didn't want to leave mink hang in.^^

Guido

Last edited by LugNut; 06-08-2015 at 11:49 AM.
LugNut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 07:06 PM   #88
Soli Deo Gloria

Quote:
Hi Tod! Regarding the category of the nitpick/bug you mention, let me ask you something : are sure it does not happen something similar in the arrange window? Canīt it definitely be attributed to a setting or something like that? Really, if it doesnīt affect any specific MIDI-related functionality/task (apart from the workflow annoyance, which is understandable), it probably does not belong to the same type of issues weīre dealing with in this thread. I would say that itīs better to focus on those things that interfere with MIDI itself first. If you have any link to a report or manage to get some kind of recipe, maybe there could be a mention in one of the minor categories at the end of post #2, without bold characters.

For example, many times when I click on a CC lane it inserts an undesired event. Itīs rather annoying but I donīt consider it as something serious, and I am not sure itīs not related to one of my settings. In this case, I wouldnīt put it in the list right now, since there are so many serious pending issues... Now, itīs fine that you comment here about anything that upsets you regarding the MIDI editor. Itīs the way to assemble a comprehensive list : adding, discarding, discussing...

Quote:
Hi innuendo, I wouldn't take all this griping to mean that Reapers midi is bad. It can certainly be improved but it's not useless by any means...What you're not seeing here, are any of the things that are good about Reapers midi. There are things I can do with Reaper that simply can't be done with any other DAW.
I agree with every word! I should maybe declare something like that in the first post, for this thread to avoid falling in the "MIDI in Reaper is unusable" category...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LugNut View Post
Sorry if this is a bit off topic, but here is a brief explanation of what I said earlier about my Studio Clock.
Great, thanks! Itīs not OT in my opinion; Iīll add a link to this post to reinforce the arguments about MIDI sync issues...
Old 06-08-2015, 07:43 PM   #89
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli Deo Gloria View Post
Hi Tod! Regarding the category of the nitpick/bug you mention, let me ask you something : are sure it does not happen something similar in the arrange window? Canīt it definitely be attributed to a setting or something like that? Really, if it doesnīt affect any specific MIDI-related functionality/task (apart from the workflow annoyance, which is understandable), it probably does not belong to the same type of issues weīre dealing with in this thread. I would say that itīs better to focus on those things that interfere with MIDI itself first. If you have any link to a report or manage to get some kind of recipe, maybe there could be a mention in one of the minor categories at the end of post #2, without bold characters....
Yes, you're probably right Soli. I've looked for a setting but can't find anything, I would think it would be in preferences if it exists.

I agree with you though, it's best left for a different discussion. Heh heh, it just irritates the heck out of me but there are a lot more important things than that, most of which also irritate the heck out of me like yeah, clicking in a CC lane and creating an event(s) when all you wanted to do was deselect a CC or a group of CCs.
Old 06-09-2015, 01:40 AM   #90
paaltio

For me these additional API calls would be the most important thing, because it would allow so much advanced MIDI scripting to work seamlessly rather than relying on the shaky link between arrange selection and MIDI editor display: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...98#post1516498
paaltio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 05:05 AM   #91
Mink99

There are two areas where the term midi scripting is used:
Macros inside the editor (like mirror / transpose shuffle) and realtime / stream scripting.

While I simply show respect in your plea for "macro scripting" , a topic that was never of deeper use for me, the stream manipulation features (that in fact do exist only on some weird hacks) could add maybe even more value
Mink99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 02:18 PM   #92
Mink99

Quote:
Originally Posted by LugNut View Post
Hi Mink, Banned, Tod, Soli, all,

It was made by aphex in the 90s. I used it live..I'm a drummer..duh..with an mpc 60,acoustic drums with triggers on em. And a 4 way pad where the 2 tom would be.
All the keyboard, strings, hornz,perc, stuff like that was seq in mpc.

To start a song, I would hit one of the pads...and stick click sound would come out....at the tempo I wanted. Then the SC would track audio from my kik AND snare and put out midi clock w start.

Guido
Thank you , cool tool ....
Old 06-10-2015, 03:14 PM   #93
Mink99

Reaper slave to midi sync :

As I have received a kawai q80 hardware sequencer, that provides spp output. I could not resist testing reaper on external midi clock synchronisation, as reaper will not synchronise without spp.

The good news : it works
In a way that something happens. This does not mean that this "something" is usable.

(All tests at 116 bpm)

If reaper has exactly the same tempo than the q80 , it will take almost two beats until reaper shows "chasing" but is in sync.

If reaper is on a different tempo, then reaper will take the same almost two beats until reaper goes to chasing mode. Sometimes reaper then says "synchronised" and immediately stops (!) for some 50-100 msec and goes back to chasin to repeat this on and on.

Then I recorded some midi-notes while reaper was synced, and also the audio that was generated from the synth, through reaper, (midi in from q80, midi out to a kawai k4 and audio back in to another channel.)

The result was : during recording the latencies were between a quarter and a half note, the playback then gave negative (!) latencies of 14 msec for the midi and 9 for the audio.

Result: even if you get midi/spp up and running, it does not work as intended.

Last edited by Mink99; 06-10-2015 at 11:15 PM.
Old 06-11-2015, 05:50 AM   #94
Mink99

I will not file a bug report on this, because I doubt, that according to the involved hardware there will be many people who could recreate a testing scenario.

Those who can are already here in this thread and I do not want to end up with a
... "I do not use midi "
... 5 votes for fixing
... Live with it

Discussion
Old 06-11-2015, 06:42 PM   #95
Soli Deo Gloria

Iīve just added you explanation on post #93 to the first post!
Old 06-11-2015, 10:28 PM   #96
geoslake

Thanks for that list ! Midi needs more love indeed.
Don't understand why this is still not solved, while being so "basic" and important.
Couldn't developer work solely on the "core engine" for, say, 5.1, and fix those things for good ? (and stop working on secondary things or adding stuff etc).
geoslake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 11:23 PM   #97
Lopez

Check my signature:
Importing multi track MIDI files should be enhanced!
Old 06-15-2015, 06:42 PM   #98
Soli Deo Gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
Check my signature:
Importing multi track MIDI files should be enhanced!
Hi!

While itīs true that there could easily be an option to choose which track you want to specifically import from a multitrack MIDI file, I think that if we consider it worth to include it would be only in the least important section of the list; I mean, this is a nice but minor improvement, donīt you think? The goal can be achieved after all, only with some additional mouse hoverings and clicks... I think that the problem of adding a sea of minor enhancement requests in the first postsī list is that, given the usual lack of attention to the MIDI side from the devs, if we ask everything at the same time we risk to completely bloat the list and make it absolutely negligible for them (well, it must be like that right now, but if we bloat it, it will be even worse in my opinion). Letīs try to keep it as clean as possible; I even think that I must revise it at any moment and clean it from some superflous things that might remain...
Old 06-16-2015, 06:47 AM   #99
Soli Deo Gloria

Sorry, I should have said "the usual lack of attention regarding the MIDI issues posted here". In my humble opinion - and taking into account Reaperīs changelog since its beginnings -, many great things have been implemented (and in many cases, if not officially, then by account of the wonderful scripters around here). I must emphasize again that even though Iīm the creator of this thread it is not my intention to bash Reaperīs MIDI at all, but simply want to have at hand a summary of whatīs left - which, of course, comprises quite a bunch of really important things -.
Old 06-16-2015, 02:01 PM   #100
ivansc

As Justin is hinting at RC1 next week, I suspect there aint going to be much attention given to the outstanding MIDI fix list.
Ah, well.....
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 02:03 PM   #101
Breeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
As Justin is hinting at RC1 next week, I suspect there aint going to be much attention given to the outstanding MIDI fix list.
Ah, well.....
Maybe it happens during 5.x life cycle...would be nice to have 5.1 dedicated solely to MIDI. Schwa is supposedly working on notation editor so Justin and Jeffos can check other MIDI related issues in the meantime. Just sayin'
Breeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 06:48 PM   #102
Soli Deo Gloria

Still adding/correcting things here and there when I find a little time... Iīve just added the suggestion by Lopez and a couple of links for Jnifīs ideas...
Old 06-25-2015, 01:51 AM   #103
ivansc

Good stuff! Maybe as this threads "doesnt go away" it will attract more attention and er um volonte from the devs.

How DO you say "volonte " in english?
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 02:19 AM   #104
Ozymandias

Another one for the collection... MIDI-learned actions (e.g. volume/pan/etc.) won't generate OSC feedback for their ReaperOSC equivalents. The following bug report is for master volume, but it seems to affect ordinary tracks as well:

http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=5535

This probably won't count as "important" for a lot of users, but it's certainly annoying if you want to use a mixture of MIDI and OSC to control things.
Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 03:15 AM   #105
geoslake

Another one :

I use Reaper to play electronic music live, and use its ability (well okay, its an sws action) to "goto/select next marker/region".
The regions are played looped.
It works fine, but the problem happens when i trigger the action a bit late, close to the end of the loop (say, less than a half beat), then Reaper, due to caching/read ahead or something, often send midi shit, it kinda lags behind for a 10th of a second, then catch it, but still...
Old 06-25-2015, 03:30 AM   #106
Mink99

@geoslake

Internal or external midi ?
Old 06-25-2015, 04:20 AM   #107
geoslake

Internal, plugin independant
Old 06-26-2015, 09:19 AM   #108
Icchan

I'm totally cynical about devs taking up any of this. All this effort to make them do something to fix issues and ignored FR's from the days past... I don't think it's going to happen regardless.

If it does (hope they show me wrong), it takes up that slack from Reaper that it has compared to many other DAW's that have larger audiences.
Icchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 04:33 AM   #109
Soli Deo Gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
How DO you say "volonte " in english?
Volonté, as in french? It must be willingness, but I can only tell you from Google Translate, since my native tongue is really spanish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icchan View Post
I'm totally cynical about devs taking up any of this. All this effort to make them do something to fix issues and ignored FR's from the days past... I don't think it's going to happen regardless.
Well, I donīt claim this thread to be the force that will have any effect at all in any of this... Itīs primarily an overview of the weak points in Reaperīs MIDI (up to this point, in June 2015) that has allowed me to further deepen my knowledge of it. And the effort has not been such, since Iīve been assembling it little by little, with the help of a bunch of helpful dudes...
Old 06-27-2015, 05:15 AM   #110
Soli Deo Gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Another one for the collection... MIDI-learned actions (e.g. volume/pan/etc.) won't generate OSC feedback for their ReaperOSC equivalents. The following bug report is for master volume, but it seems to affect ordinary tracks as well:

http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=5535

This probably won't count as "important" for a lot of users, but it's certainly annoying if you want to use a mixture of MIDI and OSC to control things.
Hi Ozymandias, thanks for the addition! One question : is that really a MIDI-related issue or is it an OSC problem? If the latter, Iīm not really sure that it should be included in this list, for the sake of precision...what do you say?
Old 06-27-2015, 06:45 AM   #111
Mink99

Ozymandias has opened not only a single issue, but a map of topics: reaper remote control or at least osc support .

As there are several issues and inconsistencies I would suggest to have these things as an independent area.
Old 07-10-2015, 04:53 PM   #112
timboid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink99 View Post
Ozymandias has opened not only a single issue, but a map of topics: reaper remote control or at least osc support .

As there are several issues and inconsistencies I would suggest to have these things as an independent area.
Indeed.
One important and requested feature is passing MIDI-feedback on learned parameters
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=94384
timboid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 10:14 AM   #113
Ozymandias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli Deo Gloria View Post
Hi Ozymandias, thanks for the addition! One question : is that really a MIDI-related issue or is it an OSC problem? If the latter, Iīm not really sure that it should be included in this list, for the sake of precision...what do you say?
Well, it just happens to involve both protocols (OSC and MIDI), so it's not really one or the other.

Does it deserves a place in a thread concerning core MIDI bugs? No.

Does it deserves a place in a thread that (at the moment, at least) seems to extend to every imaginable MIDI-related bug and feature request? Yes.
Old 07-12-2015, 07:14 PM   #114
Soli Deo Gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Does it deserves a place in a thread concerning core MIDI bugs? No.

Does it deserves a place in a thread that (at the moment, at least) seems to extend to every imaginable MIDI-related bug and feature request? Yes.
I have finally added it to the secondary list.

Regarding your comment, I donīt think itīs accurate to state that the lists cover "every imaginable MIDI-related bug and feature request". Many things were left aside for the secondary list (the second post), and the first post contains only the core issues. The secondary list needs further revision, though, and Iīd probably have to differentiate both lists by using different colors, since it is probably perceived as a single block...

I have also added timboidīs one...

Last edited by Soli Deo Gloria; 07-12-2015 at 07:23 PM.
Old 07-13-2015, 02:39 AM   #115
Ozymandias

Thanks SDG! Very much appreciated.

My comment came off rather snarky in hindsight, so apologies for that. Truth be told, I'm getting a bit desperate for certain things to be fixed, so I inevitably see feature requests as "less important". It is interesting to read through them, though.
Old 07-14-2015, 05:54 AM   #116
Soli Deo Gloria

No problem, man! It seems that the best with Reaper (or any other DAW, for the case) is to take it as it is at any moment. I wouldnīt put too much expectations on this list, but anyway I think it had to be created to have a broad overview of the topic available. Anything that could come out of it will be a bonus...
Old 07-14-2015, 06:01 AM   #117
Mink99

<irony>
At least this list can be quoted when we are close to reaper 6 , so we do not have to recreate it then
</irony >
Old 07-15-2015, 06:03 PM   #118
Soli Deo Gloria

Wow, Reaper 6...

There will surely be a MIDI wave at some point during this V5 cycle. Letīs see what it will bring...
Old 07-31-2015, 07:39 AM   #119
Soli Deo Gloria

James HE has given us two wonderful actions to sync MIDI items/takes selection in the MIDI Editor with the Arrange view : http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...66#post1551966

Iīve already put to good use the first of them...
Old 08-05-2015, 02:36 PM   #120
Soli Deo Gloria

"MIDI Clock : timing improvements" in V5 rc13... let`s see if it has any significant effect on the problems remarked above... Iīll be checking out for Rewire glitches during these days in my work...