Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 10-13-2015, 01:07 PM   #1
SMM
Human being with feelings

Default v5.05pre4 - October 13 2015

v5.05pre4 - October 13 2015
+ Glue: improve glued item filename generation, make item labels consistent with files
+ JS: improve mouse behavior with touch screens or multiple mouse buttons pressed
+ ReaScript: improve gfx mouse behavior with touch screens or multiple mouse buttons pressed
# Media explorer: update metadata reading/searching code, options
Old 10-13-2015, 01:36 PM   #2
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMM View Post
I just realized that user "musicbynumbers" is covering the 5.05 pre-release sequence.
Note: If my posting of this thread is in error, feel free to delete it.
Nobody owns prerelease posts, this is fine!
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 01:40 PM   #3
BenK-msx

Music by numbers camps out at landoleet lately, a nice little pitch with electicity hookup and hot water.

Will try out touch tweak on my win 10 tab btw.
Old 10-13-2015, 01:47 PM   #4
musicbynumbers

Quote:
I just realized that user "musicbynumbers" is covering the 5.05 pre-release sequence.
Note: If my posting of this thread is in error, feel free to delete it.
Lol thanks for considering me but it's been purely by chance that I got the first few

You're totally welcome to it and congrats!

After getting a few in a row you start to go from feeling good to feeling too nerdy so a break is a welcome thing

These pres have had double goodies for me so I definitely have been checking a lot recently. (maybe even camping out as suggested as if you are doing a lot of Web research anyway that week, it's fast and convenient to refresh lol every so often at the same time)
Old 10-13-2015, 01:56 PM   #5
musicbynumbers

Default # Media explorer: update metadata reading/searching code, options

This sounds good. Anything in particular we should look out for?

Also, I hope we can get a solution to accidentally sorting shortcuts by alphabetical order as it's devastating when you hit this button accidentally and lose all the folder organisations.
Old 10-13-2015, 03:07 PM   #6
snooks
Banned

Quote:
+ JS: improve mouse behavior with touch screens or multiple mouse buttons pressed
+ ReaScript: improve gfx mouse behavior with touch screens or multiple mouse buttons pressed
That was a fast turnaround, thanks for delving in!

Everything's working perfectly here now.
snooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 03:48 PM   #7
Sexan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
You take that back!!!!!
Sexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 06:20 PM   #8
BenK-msx

um (going by earlier posts from J) is there much point in any kind of FR'ing related to super8?

its ok if not, just nice to know..

either way, trying it out led to me making a little tune.
musical tools ftw!

potential buglet:
applying track fx to items (empty and loop length) creates an item that doesn't loop perfectly.. i had to glue it.
maybe this method isnt advised as the buffers aren't necessarily synced to playback or something.

cheers
Old 10-13-2015, 08:40 PM   #9
PitchSlap

Quote:
# Media explorer: update metadata reading/searching code, options
We still seem to be missing the basic ability to search for whole single words, unless I'm missing it?

If I search for "Chic", that's what I want, Not the Dixie Chicks or Chicago.
(mostly I want to search for key codes like "1A" or "2A" without getting 11A and 12A)

Nearly every search engine uses quotation marks for single, whole words OR phrases, so it would probably be the most user friendly way to do it...
Old 10-13-2015, 09:51 PM   #10
SMM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
Lol thanks for considering me but it's been purely by chance that I got the first few
You're totally welcome to it and congrats!
Thank you.

Last edited by SMM; 10-14-2015 at 09:24 PM.
SMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 09:53 PM   #11
kkuehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitchSlap View Post
We still seem to be missing the basic ability to search for whole single words, unless I'm missing it?

(mostly I want to search for key codes like "1A" or "2A" without getting 11A and 12A)

Nearly every search engine uses quotation marks for single, whole words OR phrases, so it would probably be the most user friendly way to do it...
Perhaps Chic$
If we are going to stick with regex terminology.
kkuehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 10:46 PM   #12
PitchSlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkuehl View Post
Perhaps Chic$
Thanks!

To stick with my real world example (since I don't actually listen to The Dixie Chicks), I was trying ^1A which got rid of every 1A and 11A result except for one, then I was able to get it working how I wanted after I unchecked "show leading paths" (only 1 of the files was in the root, and the rest were in subfolders).

It also worked if I used \1A with "show leading paths", since the part I was searching for is (almost) always at the start of filenames.

Happy I was able to get it working, but the way path names are currently handled seems a bit odd. There might be good reason for it that's not immediately obvious to me however...
Old 10-14-2015, 02:42 AM   #13
musicbynumbers

Default column order for databases reset on using a normal windows explorer shortcut

I think you guys probably saw this bug report from last pre but just in case.

-If you use the shortcuts menu at the side of media explorer to go to a non database folder (from a database folder originally) then the column order gets reset.

EDIT: The above ONLY happens to me if I have the "show leading paths" unticked/not showing. If I have leading paths showing then column order is retained

Also, these 2 about the shortcut side menu

1-The new Shortcut column/button at the top to organise shortcuts by alphabetical order is a nightmare at the moment. It's so easy to wreck organised shortcuts by hitting it. I'm hoping we can have 3 modes for that button, both up and down sorting and user organisation. You might have done this now but I'm not going to risk testing it myself to see if you've done that already as I've already accidentally hit it twice and had to painfully reorganise it again.

2-It might be me using a wacom but about 40% of the time if I click on a shortcut now, it sticks to my mouse and gets accidentally dragged around when not intended to be.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:12 AM   #14
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitchSlap View Post

Search for " Chic " if you want it as a whole word.

Quote:
We already use quotes for searching for phrases.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:13 AM   #15
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkuehl View Post
Perhaps Chic$
That would only match Chic at the end of the string.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:18 AM   #16
Justin
Administrator

Some more examples:

strings:
Code:
Delay is awesome
I love delay
What is delay good for
I have delayed responses
The plug-in ReaDelay is nice
To match only the first item, you can search:
Code:
^delay
To match only the second:
Code:
delay$
To match only the third:
Code:
"  delay  "    (notice that is two spaces on each side)
To match only the first three:
Code:
" delay "    (single space on each side)
To match only the 4th and 5th:
Code:
delay NOT " delay "
Now the word delay just looks misspelled to me, ugh.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:35 AM   #17
EvilDragon

I think adding spaces just to denote whole word search is terribly counterintuitive (I get your reasoning, though, but still)... Anywhere else I've seen the option it's either just a meta symbol for it (like regexp), or a button for it. Sorry, guys. Why not just use a meta symbol for it? I suggested semi-colon in one of previous pre threads...
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 06:44 AM   #18
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
I think adding spaces just to denote whole word search is terribly counterintuitive (I get your reasoning, though, but still)... Anywhere else I've seen the option it's either just a meta symbol for it (like regexp), or a button for it. Sorry, guys. Why not just use a meta symbol for it? I suggested semi-colon in one of previous pre threads...
I don't find a semicolon terribly intuitive either, to be honest...
Old 10-14-2015, 07:05 AM   #19
EvilDragon

I guess so. But then why not stick to regexp syntax for the whole thing?

That would be \bword\b then, which is two chars more to type, but on the other hand, it's using an already established syntax, no need to invent hot water?
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 07:18 AM   #20
airon

They're optional and uncommon in filenames. They're used in Perl for the same purpose.

It has to be easy to learn and fast to type. The more it has in common with stuff people know the better. And a single user, whoever that is, doesn't matter. I know Perl and it doesn't matter here. The question is how well this tests with the user population at large.

Justin, one of the two most used sound asset databases Soundminer HD Plus has a decent set of operators too, which may be inspiring for future updates. They're explained on page 16 of this PDF manual. Basehead appears to be the other popular database and it should have some decent stuff too.

The backward slash, "\" , is just as hard, if not harder to get to than all those other characters used for describing match targets, so I wouldn't sweat it on that one. German keyboard users have that on a totally different key ( ALTgr+ "-" ), so there's an added bonus of different layouts.

Last edited by airon; 10-15-2015 at 01:07 AM. Reason: corrected for 1st grade mistakes
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 08:25 AM   #21
musicbynumbers

Maybe it's just me but it would seem best to match something like soundminer since that's quite popular with the kind of guys who might move to reaper and use media explorer instead.
Old 10-14-2015, 08:46 AM   #22
EpicSounds

whatever you do, if it's going to be this complicated please put a little (?) info button on the window somewhere.

Like the help button in the routing window. (it's also there in the grouping and region render window but has no information about those)
Old 10-14-2015, 08:46 AM   #23
Modular

Speaking of Soundminer, wouldn't it be great in Reaper to be able to render a selected item in the media explorer with plugin chains? Just a thought
Old 10-14-2015, 09:05 AM   #24
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modular View Post
Speaking of Soundminer, wouldn't it be great in Reaper to be able to render a selected item in the media explorer with plugin chains? Just a thought
You can play media explorer items through the select arrange track and you can drag items out of the project bay to render them with item FXs on them already.

You can also pull that item into the batch converter and load up an FX chain into batch converter to process everything through which is very fast way to put loads of samples through a set of plugins. You can copy and paste the chain from a track on the arrange and even get it to overwrite the files if needs be (as long as they are not used by reaper's arrange)

What would you use this for as maybe there's a better way of doing it or a better place for it since there are corner cases here like what name to give the new file, should it have a tail, should it overwrite the original etc. Batch processor does that stuff and you can do it there.

Last edited by musicbynumbers; 10-14-2015 at 10:16 AM.
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 09:06 AM   #25
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
whatever you do, if it's going to be this complicated please put a little (?) info button on the window somewhere.

Like the help button in the routing window. (it's also there in the grouping and region render window but has no information about those)
Was going to suggest that too. Like we have for wildcards as not many people would even know you could search like this without it
Old 10-14-2015, 10:36 AM   #26
LightOfDay
Banned

so that is not correct about the search engines. if you put in "chic" you will get Dixie Chicks (whats wrong with them?) and Chicago. and Chickenshack. and Kentucky Fried Chicken. and ... stop that! ok.

the quotes make only sense - at least with Google - if you want to find a phrase that contains whites spaces. as in "Dixie Chicks", so that you will not get "chicks at Kentucky Fried Chicken in Dixie".

so what Justin said makes absolute sense. that the perfect correct way. try in Google.
LightOfDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 06:31 PM   #27
Argitoth

I would like to be able to search for grave accent/backtick
Code:
`
without qutoations. What metasearch function does backtick have?
Old 10-14-2015, 07:04 PM   #28
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argitoth View Post
I would like to be able to search for grave accent/backtick
Code:
`
without qutoations. What metasearch function does backtick have?
it is usable as a third quoting style...
Old 10-14-2015, 08:45 PM   #29
PitchSlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightOfDay View Post
so that is not correct about the search engines. if you put in "chic" you will get Dixie Chicks (whats wrong with them?) and Chicago. and Chickenshack. and Kentucky Fried Chicken. and ... stop that! ok.

the quotes make only sense - at least with Google - if you want to find a phrase that contains whites spaces. as in "Dixie Chicks", so that you will not get "chicks at Kentucky Fried Chicken in Dixie".

so what Justin said makes absolute sense. that the perfect correct way. try in Google.
https://www.google.ca/search?q=%22chic%22

Go as many pages deep as you like, all the results are just "Chic" as a whole, single word.

I get that quotes are for phrases, but my understanding is that using quotes ALSO is for whole words. I don't think I've ever used leading spaces, maybe I've been getting inferior results?

IMO, the most important thing is to think of the average user (not a UNIX terminal operator, or database administrator). How does search work 99% of the time they've ever used it? (Google, MSWord, Sound Miner etc.)

Now that I know how it works (the examples were great), I'm fine with it, but there really should be an easier for others to find this out. I really like the idea of a "?", or even a tooltip when you hover over the search, but don't type.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Google Search Operators
When you put a word or phrase in quotes, the results will only include pages with the same words in the same order as the ones inside the quotes. Only use this if you're looking for an exact word or phrase, otherwise you'll exclude many helpful results by mistake.

Last edited by PitchSlap; 10-14-2015 at 08:58 PM.
PitchSlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 08:30 AM   #30
Justin
Administrator

Changes coming:

"wordwithoutspaces" will do a word match (the same as " wordwithoutspaces ", vs "word with spaces" which searches for that phrase.

` will be treated as an ordinary (searchable) character.
Old 10-15-2015, 12:48 PM   #31
Mercado_Negro

I think there should a help link in the Media Browser with all this information and tips for searching. It's hard to remember all this if you're not using it all the time.
Old 10-15-2015, 01:35 PM   #32
babag

+1

BabaG
babag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 02:29 PM   #33
javiramallo

+1 too.
javiramallo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 02:45 PM   #34
Luxmaji

+1 three
Luxmaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 03:09 PM   #35
musicbynumbers

agreed!
Old 10-15-2015, 03:51 PM   #36
Justin
Administrator

...and it should be everywhere else in REAPER that has filtering/searching, too, I suppose?
Old 10-15-2015, 05:48 PM   #37
Justin
Administrator

Here's another try for a super8 demo, but I failed miserably (my C2D X60 laptop running OSX 10.5 didn't like the combination of low latency audio and LICEcap, oops):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtxMDWK9_Jw

Also that distraction caused me to forget what I played on the guitar, making the bass work a mess.

Anyway I'll do a better one soon (maybe I'll boot that same laptop to XP to see if it does better). Or if they'd just release Zoom R24 drivers for El Capitan (regretting having upgraded my MBP to that).

Here are two tracks I made (very quickly) around that video, too:

http://music.1014.org/Alone/151015_on_the_level.mp3
http://music.1014.org/Alone/151015_it_is_all_true.mp3

so much fun!
Old 10-15-2015, 06:19 PM   #38
BenK-msx

Quote:

so much fun!
Just checked out casting these to me shiny chromecast audio ( optical out, I can reccomend the gadget!)

Nice n trippy/nuts. Early beck-like, but I hate N'like comparisons.

Inspired me to share my first little super8 inspired 'thing' for laughs.

It's reclined.
https://soundcloud.com/13kolb/she-cried
Old 10-15-2015, 07:16 PM   #39
Endisol

Quote:
Here's another try for a super8 demo, but I failed miserably (my C2D X60 laptop running OSX 10.5 didn't like the combination of low latency audio and LICEcap, oops):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtxMDWK9_Jw

Also that distraction caused me to forget what I played on the guitar, making the bass work a mess.

Anyway I'll do a better one soon (maybe I'll boot that same laptop to XP to see if it does better). Or if they'd just release Zoom R24 drivers for El Capitan (regretting having upgraded my MBP to that).

so much fun!
I am feeling its all true for sure! Vibes
Endisol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 07:17 PM   #40
Endisol

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenK-msx View Post
Just checked out casting these to me shiny chromecast audio ( optical out, I can reccomend the gadget!)

Nice n trippy/nuts. Early beck-like, but I hate N'like comparisons.

Inspired me to share my first little super8 inspired 'thing' for laughs.

It's reclined.
https://soundcloud.com/13kolb/she-cried
Pretty cool too
Endisol is offline   Reply With Quote