Old 04-19-2014, 09:04 AM   #1
Muddy Tbone
Human being with feelings

Default Not recording MIDI information

I recently bought a Yam MX49 synth for my studio. Being completely and absolutely ignorant about the MIDI process, all of my recordings thus far have used the audio out of MX49.

Last night I recorded a piece using the audio out AND the MIDI out of the MX49.
I armed the 3 tracks, audio L and audio R, and a MIDI track set to input MIDI all channels and there was no MIDI recorded on the MIDI track. Yes, I understand that MIDI is not audio, but there is no MIDI information on the track indicating to me that there was no information recorded.

Wondering what I did wrong?
Old 04-19-2014, 09:26 AM   #2
xpander

Have you tried setting MIDI port to 1 from Yamaha and trying just MIDI input to Reaper? Yamaha MX49 Reference manual pg. 22 shows an example of MIDI recording connection. Oddly enough, that manual doesn't seem to show how to record both audio and MIDI thru the USB connection at the same time...not possible?
xpander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 01:23 PM   #3
Muddy Tbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post
Have you tried setting MIDI port to 1 from Yamaha and trying just MIDI input to Reaper? Yamaha MX49 Reference manual pg. 22 shows an example of MIDI recording connection. Oddly enough, that manual doesn't seem to show how to record both audio and MIDI thru the USB connection at the same time...not possible?
I must have a different manual Xpander, there is nothing on page 22 about this.

I'm recording differently than you suggest too. I'm using 1/4" left and right phono out of MX into my interface, and MIDI connector to the MIDI OUT out of the MX49 into the MIDI "in"input of my interface.
Old 04-19-2014, 02:31 PM   #4
DarkStar

I'll guess that you need to configure the Yamaha to send MIDI to its MIDI output ("MIDI Local" off, perhaps?). And that might stop sending the MIDI to the synth section, so you would get no audio.

How about
  • Yamaha, sends MIDI out to interface then to Reaper,
  • Reaper, records the MIDI and routes it out back to the Yamaha,
  • Yamaha creates the audio and sends it back to be recorded in Reaper on another track
Old 04-19-2014, 04:40 PM   #5
Muddy Tbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
I'll guess that you need to configure the Yamaha to send MIDI to its MIDI output ("MIDI Local" off, perhaps?). And that might stop sending the MIDI to the synth section, so you would get no audio.

How about
  • Yamaha, sends MIDI out to interface then to Reaper,
  • Reaper, records the MIDI and routes it out back to the Yamaha,
  • Yamaha creates the audio and sends it back to be recorded in Reaper on another track
Thanks Darkstar. My head is spinning...LOL. This is why I take the lazy man out solution and just record audio from the MX49.

I will try that when I have some time, and report results.