Old 05-03-2014, 09:50 AM   #241
ReaperMadness
Human being with feelings

Quote:
3. Drum Kit mapping patch of the drum sample pack (Step 1) in the sampler vsti (Step 2) alongside a Reaper project :
https://stash.reaper.fm/v/19805/Smith%20TX16WX.zip
What exactly does this mean: "...in the sampler vsti (Step 2) alongside a Reaper project"?

I'm having a bit of not-fun trying to get this all to work out.

New Music: = Mourning Marrs =
ReaperMadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 09:59 AM   #242
clepsydrae

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperMadness View Post
What exactly does this mean: "...in the sampler vsti (Step 2) alongside a Reaper project"?

I'm having a bit of not-fun trying to get this all to work out.
That .zip file (the stash link) contains a reaper project file you can open that should include within it an instance of the tx16wx VSTi with all the drum patches set up, as well as some fancy routing for the sub tracks, etc.

In other words, once you're past steps one and two, step three is just "open this in reaper and go for it".

For your extended use/abuse of the kit, you'll want to understand the basics of reaper routing and how to handle tx16wx, etc.

(Does anyone else have to reference a previous writing of "TX16WX" to be able to reproduce it, every single damn time? Hardest name in the universe to remember.)
clepsydrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 01:01 PM   #243
ReaperMadness

Quote:
Hardest name in the universe to remember.
No kidding. I usually get it correct after first writing TX81Z a couple times.

Old 05-03-2014, 02:35 PM   #244
ReaperMadness

O.K. I removed everything and tried a fresh install. And now everything's working just as it should. (I was tired last night - I think I screwed-up some file names first time around...).

This is great!

Thanks so much, SmithULTD and Suleiman. This is a wonderful thing.

Old 05-04-2014, 03:05 AM   #245
suleiman

Thanks for helping out clepsydrae and thanx for checking it out ReaperMadness !

New behemoth patch is on the way for another awesome freebie.

Salamat
suleiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 01:18 PM   #246
EvilDragon

I'm nearing the end of scripting this drumkit in Kontakt. Here's how it looks currently:

Perhaps it looks a bit much, but it's very simple to use. Unused samples are purged from RAM on the fly - as soon as you select a different kitpiece variation, all others are removed from memory. When one presses the "Edit" button for a designated kitpiece, 6 knobs on bottom show up with fine tuning tweaks.

Here's the final hurdle I'm having with this. I programmed some kitpieces to have different decay times depending on articulation (for example, different hi-hat strokes, it doesn't make sense for all of them to have a 3-4 second decay, because pedal hi-hat is very short, and closed hi-hat is also short. Same goes for different cymbal hits). This makes it a bit tricky to edit from this scripted GUI... there are two options:

1. All knobs adjust all articulations of a kitpiece en masse (probably not a smart thing to do).
2. "Edit" button becomes "Edit" dropdown menu for those kitpieces that have multiple articulations - then you select the articulation you want to edit, and the bottom 6 knobs reflect the state of the selected articulation. Probably a better way to go, but also more complex to script.

I have decided not to offer remapping because it would really complicate things a lot. Hi-hats are mapped so that modwheel (CC 1) adjusts the openness of them, whereas the three sharp keys (F#, G#, A#) are for bell/bow/edge hits respectfully. This means that I've deviated from General MIDI mapping here quite substantially. Also, each cymbal hit is individually mapped (those are white and cyan keys on the picture above), they are not influenced by modwheel (CC 1).

Also, I didn't include any effects. Effects are best done either externally, or by using Instrument Busses in Kontakt 5, however I did this drumkit for Kontakt 4.2.4 so that more people can use it.

Thoughts?
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 01:53 PM   #247
RoboPlankton

That looks awesome!

I can't help with technical stuff, but the controls look logically comprehensive. So much in a single window!

This should be a real treat!

Cheers, and thanks!
Old 05-25-2014, 08:12 AM   #248
suleiman

That looks fantastic ED !

Now if you just sell me an old kontakt 4 without the library for 20 bucks.....

Salamat
Old 05-25-2014, 10:36 AM   #249
Tod

Looks good ED, I've got a couple of questions.

I'm assuming Velocity is the velocity intensity, is that right?

I'm curious, what exactly is Vel>Atk and Vel>Dec?
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 01:37 PM   #250
EvilDragon

Exactly what it suggests: velocity modulation of attack and decay times. Quieter hits usually have shorter decay duration than louder ones, and since SmithULTD samples are all looped, this helps with that a bit.
Old 05-25-2014, 03:53 PM   #251
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Exactly what it suggests: velocity modulation of attack and decay times. Quieter hits usually have shorter decay duration than louder ones, and since SmithULTD samples are all looped, this helps with that a bit.
Thanks ED,

Humm, looped drum samples, heh heh, got to be different loops than what I'm thinking.

So you're modulating the ahd with the velocity, that's pretty cool and begs a few more questions but I'll wait until you post the nki or nkm, things might be a little more obvious.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:41 AM   #252
SmithULTD

Quote:
I'm nearing the end of scripting this drumkit in Kontakt. Here's how it looks currently:

Perhaps it looks a bit much, but it's very simple to use. Unused samples are purged from RAM on the fly - as soon as you select a different kitpiece variation, all others are removed from memory. When one presses the "Edit" button for a designated kitpiece, 6 knobs on bottom show up with fine tuning tweaks.

Here's the final hurdle I'm having with this. I programmed some kitpieces to have different decay times depending on articulation (for example, different hi-hat strokes, it doesn't make sense for all of them to have a 3-4 second decay, because pedal hi-hat is very short, and closed hi-hat is also short. Same goes for different cymbal hits). This makes it a bit tricky to edit from this scripted GUI... there are two options:

1. All knobs adjust all articulations of a kitpiece en masse (probably not a smart thing to do).
2. "Edit" button becomes "Edit" dropdown menu for those kitpieces that have multiple articulations - then you select the articulation you want to edit, and the bottom 6 knobs reflect the state of the selected articulation. Probably a better way to go, but also more complex to script.

I have decided not to offer remapping because it would really complicate things a lot. Hi-hats are mapped so that modwheel (CC 1) adjusts the openness of them, whereas the three sharp keys (F#, G#, A#) are for bell/bow/edge hits respectfully. This means that I've deviated from General MIDI mapping here quite substantially. Also, each cymbal hit is individually mapped (those are white and cyan keys on the picture above), they are not influenced by modwheel (CC 1).

Also, I didn't include any effects. Effects are best done either externally, or by using Instrument Busses in Kontakt 5, however I did this drumkit for Kontakt 4.2.4 so that more people can use it.

Thoughts?
Mother of god.
SmithULTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 06:01 AM   #253
SmithULTD

There is some bad news about this pack that has been brought to my attention. I myself am not a drummer, nor do I own any drums. To create this pack, I worked with a drummer who, in his spare time, would record the samples. Or so he said. He would send them to me, and I would re-name them and get them organized. Turns out that he was not recording these and actually pulled them from freesound.org. I had downloaded some of these samples from the site myself previously but did not make the connection, an unfortunate oversight on my part. The user who did the recording and sample creation of these is the user Quartertone. I do suggest sending him a message if you get the chance, thanking him for the hard work. Personally, I will try to get in touch and ask him if he's comfortable with me continuing to provide this pack (though I will gladly rebrand it as his). Until then, I will disable able the download links.

I do apologize for this issue. It's not a good situation to find myself in and one I hope to rectify. If this has lost trust, I do understand. Having parted ways with the drummer that did this, I still plan on creating a new pack that I will personally oversee every aspect. Because I'm not a drummer, it will not have multiple tunings, but it will have other aspects that will make up for this.

Again, please accept my apologies.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:14 AM   #254
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmithULTD View Post
Having parted ways with the drummer that did this, I still plan on creating a new pack that I will personally oversee every aspect. Because I'm not a drummer, it will not have multiple tunings, but it will have other aspects that will make up for this.
Definitely contact me when that project picks up the pace. I'll make sure you get a proper Kontakt version made!
Old 06-15-2014, 10:35 AM   #255
EvilDragon

I have just finished the script for Kontakt version of this drumkit freebie.

Considering the situation with the samples for this pack, I'm not sure what to do now...
Old 06-15-2014, 10:45 AM   #256
Tod

Quote:
I have just finished the script for Kontakt version of this drumkit freebie.

Considering the situation with the samples for this pack, I'm not sure what to do now...
I'd say go for it ED, there are a lot of folks eagerly awaiting your Kontakt program.

SmithULTD might get things worked out if you do.

Also, knowing the time and hard work that goes into doing this I'd sure hate to see it go to waste.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:54 AM   #257
EvilDragon

Hm, well, ok. I compressed it to NCW (goes down to 1.3 GB), commencing uploading to my Dropbox.
Old 06-15-2014, 01:51 PM   #258
EvilDragon

And here it is: https://www.dropbox.com/s/a64tmkbj7dqxchz/SmithULTD.rar

Enjoy!
Old 06-15-2014, 02:02 PM   #259
Tod

Quote:
Good for you ED, DLing it now.

EDIT: And thanyou.
Old 06-15-2014, 02:51 PM   #260
luk

Just tested it, and it all seems to be great.

Thank you very much!
luk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 12:16 AM   #261
suleiman

Quote:
Ka boom !

Thanks for your hard work ED ( even though i cant avail it )
the mapping is fixed / immobile ?

Salamat
Old 06-16-2014, 12:23 AM   #262
suleiman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmithULTD View Post
There is some bad news about this pack that has been brought to my attention. I myself am not a drummer, nor do I own any drums. To create this pack, I worked with a drummer who, in his spare time, would record the samples. Or so he said. He would send them to me, and I would re-name them and get them organized. Turns out that he was not recording these and actually pulled them from freesound.org. I had downloaded some of these samples from the site myself previously but did not make the connection, an unfortunate oversight on my part. The user who did the recording and sample creation of these is the user Quartertone. I do suggest sending him a message if you get the chance, thanking him for the hard work. Personally, I will try to get in touch and ask him if he's comfortable with me continuing to provide this pack (though I will gladly rebrand it as his). Until then, I will disable able the download links.

I do apologize for this issue. It's not a good situation to find myself in and one I hope to rectify. If this has lost trust, I do understand. Having parted ways with the drummer that did this, I still plan on creating a new pack that I will personally oversee every aspect. Because I'm not a drummer, it will not have multiple tunings, but it will have other aspects that will make up for this.

Again, please accept my apologies.
Hey Riley ! How did you find out ?

No problem... I didnt even think free sound had extensive libraries like this...

I would suggest that you clearly mention in bold letters on your website that this is from quartertone at freesounds...

And if you are going to do a library yourself here are some suggestions :

- One tuning is enough

- You could try slightly more velocity layers ( maybe upto 25 ) and maybe a coupla roudn robins for each hit : like 3 or four

- 24 bit wavs is good

- Please make sure that you still share the unprocessed dry samples in WAV format so that us poor non kontakt folks can share mapped libraries with budget options like reaper templates and tx16wx patches

- Please do not normalize the samples

- Please follow the good naming covention you followed on volume 1

- Any help with batch editing , naming etc let me know ! I mean you could record a continous wav of lets say snare rim shot hits and i could chop them , sort em and name them for you. Reaper's pretty awesome like that

Salamat
Old 06-16-2014, 12:26 AM   #263
gibi25

Thanks ED for your fine work.
Nice sound, and easy to use.
Better than a lot of paywares
gibi25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 01:23 AM   #264
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by suleiman View Post
the mapping is fixed / immobile ?
Yes, as I mentioned it before. It would complicate some stuff in the script too much if I made it flexible. Would have been much easier if everything was samples more consistently (all tunings and articulations available for all kitpieces...)
Old 06-16-2014, 01:44 AM   #265
Wolffman

Thanks for doimg this ED, much appreciated.

But before i download, will this work in Kontakt 4 ?

Cheers

https://soundcloud.com/wolffman7
Wolffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 02:14 AM   #266
EvilDragon

Yes, made in K4.2.4.
Old 06-16-2014, 03:14 AM   #267
Wolffman

Quote:
Yes, made in K4.2.4.
Thankyou ED

https://soundcloud.com/wolffman7
Wolffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 04:52 AM   #268
gibi25

Works fine in kontakt 5.3.1 as well.
gibi25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 05:41 AM   #269
EvilDragon

Of course it does, Kontakt is backwards compatible.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:50 AM   #270
EvilDragon

Guys, please set up mirror downloads of the pack. As expected Dropbox temporarily suspended my link for generating excessive traffic.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:40 AM   #271
luk

I can provide a torrent file if that is ok?
Old 06-16-2014, 10:42 AM   #272
EvilDragon

That would be awesome, thanks!
Old 06-16-2014, 10:47 AM   #273
luk

Here it is, link to torrent file:

https://copy.com/6kTeMTMJ2F9B
Old 06-16-2014, 11:03 AM   #274
Lau

Quote:

Thoughts?
Really good work EvilDragon and thanks for sharing it
Lau
Lau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:49 AM   #275
RobertP

Thank you ED.
I have joined the torrent with a few k.
I will be seeding 24/7 for a few days then am away for a few weeks.
Old 06-21-2014, 12:45 AM   #276
SmithULTD

Quote:
Hey Riley ! How did you find out ?

No problem... I didnt even think free sound had extensive libraries like this...

I would suggest that you clearly mention in bold letters on your website that this is from quartertone at freesounds...

And if you are going to do a library yourself here are some suggestions :

- One tuning is enough

- You could try slightly more velocity layers ( maybe upto 25 ) and maybe a coupla roudn robins for each hit : like 3 or four

- 24 bit wavs is good

- Please make sure that you still share the unprocessed dry samples in WAV format so that us poor non kontakt folks can share mapped libraries with budget options like reaper templates and tx16wx patches

- Please do not normalize the samples

- Please follow the good naming covention you followed on volume 1

- Any help with batch editing , naming etc let me know ! I mean you could record a continous wav of lets say snare rim shot hits and i could chop them , sort em and name them for you. Reaper's pretty awesome like that
I found out when going through my other samples. Thought they sounded similar so I double checked.

I actually spoke with Quartertone and not only is happy to allow me to continue providing this, he's actually asked me to let him know if any samples are missing. So if anyone can remember which ones were not present, I'll let him know so that can be added. I'll be rebranding the pack on the site, giving some more info, etc. My time right now is rarely available to do the updating that I wish to do, so it'll be little bits here and there.

When I create my own (or talk to quartertone about possibly partnering up for a new kit), it'll be one tuning with specific pitch (C versus Low). It will, as I asked the drummer I got these from, be unprocessed. So no compression, EQ, etc. I've spoked with ED about it as well, and I hope that we can get a great kit built in kontakt as well.

ED, if you can send me a link to the kontakt download (I can't seem to find the blasted link in the thread) I will also put it on the site.
Old 06-21-2014, 10:47 AM   #277
RoboPlankton

ED's link posted earlier in this thread is working for me:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a64tmkbj7dqxchz/SmithULTD.rar
Old 07-16-2014, 12:45 AM   #278
FraternalHouse

Default Midi Sound In Samiple Sound

Quote:
I would be much obliged if both SmithULTD and EvilDragon could have a go at my tx16wx patch.

Its not the entire kit, but at least 70 % of the kit.

What do you guys think of the implementation ? Especially my layering idea ?

The only cc i used was mod wheel for changing strike type.

I was thinking of incorporating the other states of the hi hats ( right now its either open or closed with 3 strike types for each ) with a keyswitch.

Kindly let me know what can be done to improve it.

And @msea , these are raw samples with a lot of leeway for fx, so very useful in many circumsrances. I have used these already in a rock track, a metal track and a reggae/ dub track.
What would cause a sample in tx16wx to have a midi sound when played in Reaper Midi:
Thanks
FraternalHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 10:01 AM   #279
Fergler

Here is an sfz mapping for the kick drum, MP toms, and cymbals.

http://www.wikiupload.com/A9I1UIFQSAXV9CN

Still working on hi-hat and snare.

The hi-hats are super expansive, wow!
Unfortunately there are some naming errors that are slowing down the hi-hat creation and the renaming of the different pitched toms.

Suleiman if there is any interest in fixing these and re-hosting the pack, bundled along with a Kontakt and SFZ mapping, you, ED, and I should collaborate.

Did you ever hear back from quartertone?
Fergler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 02:05 PM   #280
EvilDragon

The Kontakt pack that I uploaded had naming fixes... Just FYI.