Old 01-05-2013, 06:10 PM   #1
ssj4vegita2002
Human being with feelings

Default Compression Necessary for Mastering?

Hey guys. Me and my band just finished recording our 2nd album using Reaper and a MOTU 8Pre. It came out great and we have everything mixed and have moved on to mastering. As per the usual we have a slight EQ and a limiter, and we've been fooling around with the compression.

We're a Thrash band, and it seems that every time my drummer does a Tom roll the compressor kicks in and I can hear an audible decrease in overall volume. It is very noticeable to me. I've tried playing with the release and the threshold but I just can't get it to sound good.

So my question is: Is it necessary to have compression on the master track for a great sounding CD? What are the disadvantages to not using it? Thanks in advance!
ssj4vegita2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:01 AM   #2
SafeandSound

Not strictly necessary.

Compression in mastering can serve different sonic goals. In some instances I use a compressor for it's sonic pass through character (i.e. a euphonic signal path) as opposed to it's gain reduction character, or somethimes both and sometimes not at all.

Consider your goals then decide if compression fits the solution. Clear goals produce better decisions and clear goals originate from monitoring accuracy where valid actions are born.

cheers

SafeandSound Mastering

Last edited by SafeandSound; 10-09-2013 at 10:15 AM.
SafeandSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:30 AM   #3
Nip

Why not use a compressor on drumtracks only?

Limiting on master often come to max 2-4 dB raising of level.
So you might be running the limiter too hard.

Raise threshold until you stay with peak limiting of 4dB or so.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:54 PM   #4
Kearley

Stylistically speaking, Thrash music definitely involves compression. You might experiment with compressing individual elements more than the entire mix.. or maybe more than one pass of compression.

Also, if your 'buss' compression is sagging under kick/snare hits... it's likely that it could be set more appropriately. Speed up the release?
Old 01-07-2013, 03:22 PM   #5
Swamp Ape

Kearley is correct - heavy metal is generally one of the most compressed styles of music, especially modern metal. If you want your music to be "loud" you will need to compress it, and the more you compress it the louder it will get. There's a trade off between dynamics and perceived loudness - the trick is to find a balance. Even if you're going for a retro vibe, you'll still want to at least replicate the natural compression from tape and console that all those classic albums have. If you're going for a more modern, Municipal Waste/Toxic Holocaust vibe, compress the living shit out of it.

Try compressing the drums and bass together as a group to get a tight, pumping rhythm section, and compress the guitars separately and to a lesser degree to allow the natural dynamics to breathe. Do some research on "parallel compression" and "bus compression" - these are your friends if you want your music to be heavy.
Swamp Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:06 PM   #6
mad demon

Compression is not necessary for anything.

If it sounds better with compression: use compression
If it doesn't: don't use compression.
mad demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:20 AM   #7
SafeandSound

Generally it is fairly compressed though I am pleased to say I am creating a DDP for a metal project today that averages -12dB RMS. The producer discerns quality over transient destroying loudness.

Thats a great place to be.

SafeandSound Mastering
Barry Gardner
SafeandSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:57 AM   #8
Sinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nip View Post
Why not use a compressor on drumtracks only?

Limiting on master often come to max 2-4 dB raising of level.
So you might be running the limiter too hard.

Raise threshold until you stay with peak limiting of 4dB or so.
That's what I'd do.
Sinner is offline   Reply With Quote